Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to mount air guide for 960/V90?

Views : 715

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 18:19   #1
martin calva

Default How to mount air guide for 960/V90?

The front air guide on my V90 has never been correctly installed for as long as I have had the car. The front clips in place under the front bumper, obviously as intended. But the rear is held in place by cable ties passing through holes in the bottom aluminium flange of the radiator.

I have three of the correct (I believe they are correct) mountings for the air guide. http://media.skandix.de/pimg/1028719.jpg But I can't see how to install them. I can't believe they should be screwed to the radiator; that would probably pierce a coolant channel. But I can't see how else they could be mounted.

Any help explaining how to mount them would be very welcome.

Thank you
Martin
martin calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 18:53   #2
rwdkev
VOC member

Have a look at this very recent thread......

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284549
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 23:13   #3
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwdkev View Post
Have a look at this very recent thread......

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284549
Many thanks. What I'd really like to know is how the fixing was done by Volvo on the 960/V90. It is so hard to see how it can be done on my car that I have the feeling a part must be missing.

Last edited by martin calva; Aug 21st, 2018 at 00:14.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 09:38   #4
jonnyf90
Grumpy git born too late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin calva View Post
Many thanks. What I'd really like to know is how the fixing was done by Volvo on the 960/V90. It is so hard to see how it can be done on my car that I have the feeling a part must be missing.
3 plastic twist lugs - which obviously are crap!

I tried for over an hour to reattach the air guide after changing the rad in my 960 but gave up and it's sitting in the garden

Cheers

2021 Škoda Octavia Estate L iV PHEV (Company)
jonnyf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 11:28   #5
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyf90 View Post
3 plastic twist lugs - which obviously are crap!

I tried for over an hour to reattach the air guide after changing the rad in my 960 but gave up and it's sitting in the garden

Cheers
Jonnyf90 - The twist lugs look to me as if they would work IF there were something suitable to attach them to. Skandix provided three self-tapping screws about 30mm long - but I can't believe that you are meant to tap directly into the radiator (and risk piercing the waterway).

I have reattached my air guide with cable ties. The air guide is said to significantly improve the cooling, by forcing more air through the rad.

A couple of weeks ago I was driving for hours on end in an ambient temperature of more than 33°C and I felt that the cooling system was earning its keep.

If anyone could post a clear photo of how the twist lugs for the air guide were installed by Volvo, that would be a great help to me and probably to jonnyf90 too.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:35   #6
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
If anyone could post a clear photo of how the twist lugs for the air guide were installed by Volvo
Have a look at the photos in this listing......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-940-9...-/263588412101
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:43   #7
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
.....three self-tapping screws about 30mm long - but I can't believe that you are meant to tap directly into the radiator (and risk piercing the waterway).
[/B]
Due to the design of the lug, only a short portion of the screw actually threads into the bottom rail of the radiator and the screw bottoms out before its point reaches any where near the matrix.
The Following User Says Thank You to rwdkev For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 07:05   #8
mjk164
VOC Member

rwdkev is right. My 1993 960 (380k miles) still has the original fittings and, I have replaced the radiator twice and they come with already drilled holes for the self tapping screws in the "lower rail" of the rad. The screws should bottom out before they get close to the matrix but I always check when securing just to make sure. The "lower rail" is a length of aluminium "U" section about 1cm across the mouth, attached as part of the radiator.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mjk164 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 00:21   #9
martin calva

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
rwdkev is right. My 1993 960 (380k miles) still has the original fittings and, I have replaced the radiator twice and they come with already drilled holes for the self tapping screws in the "lower rail" of the rad. The screws should bottom out before they get close to the matrix but I always check when securing just to make sure. The "lower rail" is a length of aluminium "U" section about 1cm across the mouth, attached as part of the radiator.
Thank you, and thanks to all. It all makes sense and I have verified that it is correct using a scrap radiator.

All the best
Martin