Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Low speed brake squeal

Views : 3616

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2018, 09:27   #11
NickV90

Dealer says Volvo know about this issue and are working on a fix apparently... I am not holding my breath
NickV90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 11:49   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV90 View Post
Dealer says Volvo know about this issue and are working on a fix apparently... I am not holding my breath
the fix was out some months ago , new improved disks and/or pads ...
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 12:25   #13
Roosterb

Sounds like major regression again. Disk brakes have been around for decades. There's no reason why customers should be expected to wait for them to Engineer it out...
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 13:59   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterb View Post
Sounds like major regression again. Disk brakes have been around for decades. There's no reason why customers should be expected to wait for them to Engineer it out...
Many types of car can have noisy brakes , when the wrong pads are used or the pads are seized. Volvo have already engineered it out there are improved pads and rear discs .
They even fixed a similar problem on the old XC90 which after 8 or 9 years in production it developed front brake squeak on some cars . They added extra mass to the front calipers .
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 16:47   #15
XC90Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickV90 View Post
Sorry I am bringing up an old thread. My 12/2017 XC90 is squealing. I have done just 11k miles on it.
I happened to notice it this week when I was driving with window open at slow speed.
Is there a way I can check this falls under warranty for my specific model?
I saw some TJ for US/Canada models (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...57916-9999.pdf)

I have been booked in for investigation but I am told I have to pay £120 for investigation if its not warrant-able.

Anything to make my case stronger.
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 18:06   #16
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Many types of car can have noisy brakes , when the wrong pads are used or the pads are seized. Volvo have already engineered it out there are improved pads and rear discs .
They even fixed a similar problem on the old XC90 which after 8 or 9 years in production it developed front brake squeak on some cars . They added extra mass to the front calipers .
They might have engineered it out on the old XC90 but they engineered it back in on the new model, mine squeel when hot just as I pulling up to a very slow stop.
Genuine Volvo pads, I have even took them out and cleaned and put anyi squeel greese on the caliper contact points. Quite a few owners have reported this problem on ghe new model.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 21:48   #17
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj1873 View Post
My V90 had the exact same issue and I had to harass the life out of the service manager to get it sorted. Turns out that it’s a known problem and it was clips or brackets on the brakes causing the noise. Haven’t heard it since they sorted it.
how did they sort it out?
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 22:04   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
how did they sort it out?
Improved discs and/or pads your dealer will know what to by now .
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 19:41   #19
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Improved discs and/or pads your dealer will know what to by now .
Mine is doing it at low speed when it's been stood in the cold and wet. Goes once on the move properly.

How do things in Volvo's world work -is it at my cost to replace with revised pads etc to cure, or is there a TSB/ goodwill contribution out of warranty?
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 20:05   #20
Mad Malc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Mine is doing it at low speed when it's been stood in the cold and wet. Goes once on the move properly.

How do things in Volvo's world work -is it at my cost to replace with revised pads etc to cure, or is there a TSB/ goodwill contribution out of warranty?
This is 'normal' and does not require a 'cure'. The noise is more than likely to be as a result of light 'rusting' of the discs being 'cleaned' by the pads.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Malc For This Useful Post: