Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear dash cam location - XC60

Views : 2426

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 07:43   #1
AdamC86

Default Rear dash cam location - XC60

Hi all,

I’ve looked through the various dash cam threads here but can’t find any information specific to this...

Does anyone know where’s best to position a rear dash cam in the XC60? I saw a thread where someone had issues with their V60(?)’s DAB radio after fitting one, so wondered if anyone knew the best place to put one in the rear of an XC60.

Many thanks.
AdamC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 08:18   #2
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC86 View Post
Hi all,

I’ve looked through the various dash cam threads here but can’t find any information specific to this...

Does anyone know where’s best to position a rear dash cam in the XC60? I saw a thread where someone had issues with their V60(?)’s DAB radio after fitting one, so wondered if anyone knew the best place to put one in the rear of an XC60.

Many thanks.
Top middle, in the swept area. That’s where I have the Ddpai mini2 on my Xc90 and it works perfectly. It’s not linked to the front one by wire [or any other way], which is where you may get issues with DAB radio.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 08:30   #3
ah394

Yes top middle swept area seems to be the best place. I have front and rear Blackvue cameras with rear connected to front and have had no problems.
ah394 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ah394 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 10:26   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah394 View Post
Yes top middle swept area seems to be the best place. I have front and rear Blackvue cameras with rear connected to front and have had no problems.
I do have a wire connected duo in my Qashqai and I ran the cable in the headlining above the driver's side doors. There have been reports of this set causing issues but mine are no problem whatsoever. Techmoan had DAB problems with my model [Aukey] in his Mini.

Took less than half an hour to install the rear camera complete and the wiring is completely hidden apart from where it connects to the camera.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 10:57   #5
AdamC86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah394 View Post
This is the same setup I will have: two Blackvues. Which route did you choose for the cable between the two?
AdamC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 12:43   #6
Quacker
Premier Member

If you go the headlining route there are zero panels to remove and all you need is a spudger to press the cable into the seam. Start at the front and work back to the rear hatch, then work from the camera forward and tuck spare cable into the rear quarter-panel somewhere. Cross the hatch seal somewhere tidy.

If you choose to go low, apart from many trim pieces to remove and difficult obstacles to cross, you may find yourself short of cable to reach the camera. It will certainly take at least twice as long to wire it tidily below the doors.

Last edited by Quacker; Sep 2nd, 2018 at 12:46.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 08:08   #7
encroute

Any DAB Interference going high?
I know this has been a problem with poorly shielded cables in some cars.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 09:17   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
Any DAB Interference going high?
I know this has been a problem with poorly shielded cables in some cars.
I've only wired a Qashqai, so I can't comment on interference potential on a Volvo.

However, might I suggest that there is no advantage to having wire-linked cameras. Most of my cars have independent front and back cameras and my Volvo has the best arrangement by far of two discreet cylindrical cameras that are wi-fi enabled to download or view video files. They each also have a card, obviously, and this can be removed to view files if necessary, which it almost never is. I prefer the Goluk [front] to the Ddpai [rear] but both are perfectly good.
They have the advantage of no screen, plus they each have a wireless remote button to protect files when something interesting happens. The buttons are far and away better than trying to find a similar button on the body of most old fashioned units.
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 17:00   #9
Boatie
Master Member

My Thinkware rear facing cam centre top just inside swept area. Best £250 I've spent in a long time. Weeks after fitting an Amazon delivery driver tapped me up the rear and did a runner. Took my insurance co less than 24 hours to waive excess and authorise repair ( bumper £ 1200 + plus labour)

Should add no interference problems and wire can be routed through existing flexible conduit (with difficulty)

Last edited by Boatie; Sep 3rd, 2018 at 17:04.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 17:16   #10
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I've only wired a Qashqai, so I can't comment on interference potential on a Volvo.

However, might I suggest that there is no advantage to having wire-linked cameras. Most of my cars have independent front and back cameras and my Volvo has the best arrangement by far of two discreet cylindrical cameras that are wi-fi enabled to download or view video files. They each also have a card, obviously, and this can be removed to view files if necessary, which it almost never is. I prefer the Goluk [front] to the Ddpai [rear] but both are perfectly good.
They have the advantage of no screen, plus they each have a wireless remote button to protect files when something interesting happens. The buttons are far and away better than trying to find a similar button on the body of most old fashioned units.
Hi Quacker - does your 90 have the privacy glass and if so does the camera get decent resolution through that? Given how dark it is wondering what impact that has on the images
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weemark For This Useful Post: