Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox software

Views : 2308

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:33   #1

Default Gearbox software

Following on from the software updates thread. Has anyone complained to the dealer about how dimwhitted the gear box is on the s90/v90 and had any form of update?

I am using my v90 d5 more now and my journey has a lot of roundabouts which really highlights how cr8p the gearbox map is. Unless it's in dynamic it's constantly surprised I want to go faster when pressing the accelerator and no I'm not stomping on the power every time..

Surely Volvo can't just ignore a hugely publicised moan by all reviews and owners? I'm not shelling out God knows how much for polestar either unless they add give it a proper power bump.

Ta
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:54   #2
taylora

To be honest I don't find the gearbox on my car any less dimwitted than my previous BMW 320d, also an 8 speed auto. Reviews rave about BMW's autos. I really don't find much difference between it and my V90.

Every automatic I've driven seems to be ill-prepared for a roundabout, but I guess that's the difference between a machine and a human, it reacts to me but I can see ahead.

Having an R-design helps as I can flick down a gear or two in prep using the paddles, I had to do the same on the BMW. Only difference being when it decided to wake up, drop a gear or two and apply some grunt the rear end would wiggle around, especially on wet roundabouts.

99% of the time I can't say the Volvo auto is any worse or better than the BMW was.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 16:04   #3

Coming from a 340i I'd disagree on the gearbox in my experience. Yes in comfort mode there was a bit of lag but nothing like this Volvo box.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 16:41   #4
NewV90Owner

Default Lag

I think it is so slow it is downright dangerous.

If I roll up to a roundabout and hit the accelerator it takes ages to deliver the actual power. The torque converter takes ages to wake up and then the gearbox decides to drop a cog or two and there is even more delay.

By this time my foot is on the floor and I launch into space.

The gearbox is one of the weakest parts of an otherwise good package.
NewV90Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 17:12   #5
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewV90Owner View Post
I think it is so slow it is downright dangerous.

If I roll up to a roundabout and hit the accelerator it takes ages to deliver the actual power. The torque converter takes ages to wake up and then the gearbox decides to drop a cog or two and there is even more delay.

By this time my foot is on the floor and I launch into space.

The gearbox is one of the weakest parts of an otherwise good package.
It was a constant complaint for my AMG GLA 45 Mercedes, I was always resetting the learning part of the ECU.

So far on my XC60 T8 it has not changed the way it pulls from a standing start
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:13   #6
Tresco85

I would email Volvo customer support and complain to them and you may get a discount on Polestar that's all I can say as just done that and had Polestar installed which does seem to help but it still does hesitate.
Tresco85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:26   #7
Deman77
Master Member

I believe it is mainly the D5, T8, T6 - the toutquier engines. The torque converter slows it down beyond certain point. To mitigate you need to figure out the max accelerator input you can give it without putting it into a torque control mode which will result in a lag. The trouble is it’s different at different speeds, but ultimately it will be lower input that will result in no lag and then you can build up torque progressively.
I agree it’s dangerous - beyond certain level the higher accelerator input will actually result in lower power delivery to the wheels and then it just takes off - it’s wrong. This should be easily software managed to give progressive result even if it’s a little slower but no lag. I believe d4 people with less torque suffer less and T5 is practically lag free in my experience.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 21:33   #8
PaulBendall

Stick the T8 into Power drive mode at a junction and you'll get instance response and a good kick. The electric motor may only be ~80HP on the rear wheels but the torque and response gets the car going before the supercharged petrol engine responds and helps out.

In hybrid mode it can be a bit slower to get off the mark but I wonder how relatively this is in reality? Volvo produces quiet, refined cars, that tends to mean you don't get the engine and road noise indicating a fast gateway. I'm sure any of the models would beat most mass produced, lower powered cars off the mark in the 0-30 sprint
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:13   #9
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
I would email Volvo customer support and complain to them and you may get a discount on Polestar that's all I can say as just done that and had Polestar installed which does seem to help but it still does hesitate.
I have Polestar but haven't yet played with the car much. I was under the impression that Polestar only does it's stuff in Dynamic mode. Is that true.

I have also read that Polestar stiffens the air suspension, but can't find any reference to this in the Polestar booklet that came with it (just engine and gearbox map mentioned). Is that true?

Thanks
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 22:26   #10
steadvex
Master Member

Can't say I've ever driven an auto that did what I wanted, at least the hybrid side of things smooths out the gear changes, not sure if its in my head but since the last software update it does feel better. Or I've got used to the way it changes and adapted my driving style.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote