Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

72k service - DIY

Views : 822

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 18:47   #1
kinga

Default 72k service - DIY

Hi all,

My 2012 V70 D4 (163) is up for its 72k service.

I am keen to get Volvo to do the oil/filter change, but I wanted to do the fuel & pollen filter change myself to keep the cost down (Volvo want £150 for oil/filter change & £390 for the full service!).

can anyone direct me to some instructions or tutorial video to show me how to change these.

i changed the Fuel filter on my old 2004 V70D5 & I have seen a video on you tube where a guy is replacing the pollen filter which was located behind the panel underneath the glovebox, but this was a 2009 V70, so not sure if the 2012 would be the same?

Any advice gratefully received.

many thanks.
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 10:33   #2
Peter86
Pete

I have the face-lift model like yourself. Fuel filter as far as I'm aware is in the same place just a bit awkward to get to, on my Rdesign anyway because its low.
Pollen filter is in the same place as the 2009 model. Access via passenger footwell. Takes about 20 minutes to do, well I did as I hoovered the housing out and gave it a clean round.
Make sure you check the filter flow direction when you remove the old one. If I remember correctly you have to squash it a bit to get it in place.
I purchased a Haynes manual for knowing how to take the panels off and general maintenance. Doesn't cover the twin turbo engines but insides pretty much the same apart from the updated radio panel front. The manual is only upto 2011 but as I said insides the same pretty much.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 22:11   #3
Scalix

Hello,

I have a copy of vida. If you send me your vin by MP i can have alook and give you a screen shot of the process. I can also give you the part number.
Scalix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 17:00   #4
kinga

Hi Peter86 - many thanks for the info - sounds quite straightforward, so will have a go myself.

Many thanks for the offer Scalix, but think I got the procedure sorted now!
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 19:06   #5
kinga

Update - I did this at the weekend.

Fuel filter was a doddle - undone with 23mm spanner (could have been 22mm??) - new rubber sealing ring, pushed new filter in & did back up - 10 minute job once you get the car up on ramps for better access.

Cabin filter was a bit more tricky - on my 12 plate model (D4) you have to remove the overmat, undo the 2 torx screws holding the cover under the glovebox, remove the courtesy light fitting then remove the cover.

You then need to remove the side cover of the centre console as it covers the lower half of the cabin filter housing - this cover just pulls off - i.e. pull it towards the door - I was a bit nervous about breaking a clip as it was the first time I have done it - you have to give it some force, but it came off ok as the clips are quite strong.

Its a bit fiddly to get the old filter out & the new filter in, but like Peter86 says, its about a 20 minute job.

Got my car booked in for a basic oil/filter change tomorrow at Volvo, just to get the stamp in the book, but saved myself about £250 by doing the 3 other filters myself at a cost of £35 (Bosch) and less than an hours work!!

I would recommend others who are nervous about doing these filters that it is easily a job you can do yourself with a bit of patience, even if you are not mechanically minded.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinga For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 09:38   #6
MartinK

Re the Fuel Filter... this may be useful...
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ghlight=filter
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 14:43   #7
JC1818

Just out of interest, do they stamp the book in such a way that is looks like a 'full service'.

I am in a conundrum at the moment as to weather to go the DIY or dealer route..£400 is hard to swallow when you can get all the parts for the minor service for about £50 and £70 for a major.
JC1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2018, 17:00   #8
green van man
Premier Member

If they change the oil and filter yes, at least my dealer does, it's on their volvo system as a service. You can of course supply your own oil and provided it meets volvo spec they will fill with that. No way am I paying £19 a litre retail price for oil I can get for £36 for 4 litres from halfords with my trade card, which is how the dealer justifies £90 for oil that they buy in bulk.

Things like brakes and spanner ing I do myself so no record of brake fluid change on their system, I know it's done,I did it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:43   #9
kinga

Volvo have stamped by book but written in 'basic oil and filter change', so I may just write on myself '+pollen, air and fuel filters', or do you think that will look too dodge writing in the service book myself?
Or I may just put a small post it note by the service stamp with this on it?
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 12:04   #10
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga View Post
Volvo have stamped by book but written in 'basic oil and filter change', so I may just write on myself '+pollen, air and fuel filters', or do you think that will look too dodge writing in the service book myself?
Or I may just put a small post it note by the service stamp with this on it?
Providing you keep the receipt for the filters you've fitted with the service book that's the evidence that what you write in the service book is a true reflection.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post: