Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smartphone Integration...

Views : 2244

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 00:04   #1
Godstone27

Default Smartphone Integration...

Put my order in last week and am now patiently waiting....
Have added quite a few extras to my Inscription Pro T5 but am wondering if I should add the smartphone integration,who has it and what do you think of it?
I've always just linked via bluetooth to make calls etc,assuming that's still possible.
Also,can you still track your cars production? I did it last time and enjoyed the experience...my Volvo id is in use with my current cars VOC so not sure if I can still do it?
I apologise in advance if these questions have been answered already!
Godstone27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 08:47   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

All depends if you want Apple car play / Android Auto. I rather like it b
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 09:22   #3
Parky12

I am hoping the standard connectivity is good enough. I was going to get a SIM card so the mapping is connected and will get traffic updates

The only reason I use Android CarPlay at the moment is the SIM that came with the car has expired and is not worth replacing as the car goes back this month

I am also not keen on the take-over of the screen by the phone, it ruins what is a nice layout in the Audi. Similarly I am looking forward to the glorious real estate on the Volvo screen
XC60 15MY 181 SE AWD Savile Grey (previous)
Parky12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parky12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 10:02   #4
encroute

I was really keen on Android Integration for Google Maps and ease of playback for Audible/Podcasts etc.

However I have used Droid Macro to switch on WiFi Hotspot on detection of the car's Bluetooth, and off when away - and that with the Bluetooth which reconnects automatically (and a better than expected map system) means I'm not using it that much.

In addition SMS Messages are not available through Android Auto.

I'll probably use it for longer journeys, but day to day I'm not really using it and have switched off Auto start when plugged in to charge..
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to encroute For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 10:54   #5
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Of all the options I ticked, after 4 weeks this one is the only one that I would not tick again.
In my case I have all my music on an iTouch (aks iPod) which is my main music source so I do not use the my iPhone via CarPlay for music, but if I had to use my iPhone for music then I would be using CarPlay for its integration.
To justify my option choice, I am hoping that it future proofs the next stage of CarPlay over the next few years!
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 10:57   #6
paulod

I've just came from an Audi that had Apple Carplay to a T5 without it and to be honest the only thing I miss is being able to dictate text message replies when driving.
Other than that I don't miss it at all pretty much everything I used my phone for in my old car can be done via the standard set up.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:39   #7
Godstone27

Thanks everyone, something to think about today! Does anyone know about my other query re the tracking of the car from production to shipping?

Many thanks
Godstone27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 11:46   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I do not have apple/android carplay, I refuse to pay £300 for something that should be standard and is really of very little use, and I can dictate text messages no problem at all, not that I ever want or have a need to when driving.

I am retired now but even before retirement my company had a driver safety policy that did not allow any in car phone interaction while driving, even hands free.

Company safety rule No 1, " NOTHING we do at (company name) is worth getting hurt for or putting anyone else at risk"
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 14th, 2018 at 11:52.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 13:52   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulod View Post
the only thing I miss is being able to dictate text message replies when driving.
You can do this; iirc you select reply from the driver's display using the steering wheel controls.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 14:05   #10
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I do not have apple/android carplay, I refuse to pay £300 for something that should be standard and is really of very little use, and I can dictate text messages no problem at all, not that I ever want or have a need to when driving.

I am retired now but even before retirement my company had a driver safety policy that did not allow any in car phone interaction while driving, even hands free.

Company safety rule No 1, " NOTHING we do at (company name) is worth getting hurt for or putting anyone else at risk"

Fortunately not everyone lives in the dark ages and handsfree is perfectly safe as is voice control, or do you not use that either. Apple CarPlay might be a bit expensive, but it's not standard on most higher end cars apart from Audi at the moment, but it will likely become standard the cheaper it gets to licence. No car manufacturer is going to fit something which costs them extra for people to no use it, far better it be an option for those that will use it.