Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 598121

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 15:12   #2341
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styl3r View Post
As far as i am aware they replaced the efr cooler and pipework, never received any paperwork. I did query this and was advised its all on the system now.
Thanks for explaining how the e dipstick works, i have about 90% oil. In for service 27th January so will be asking for confirmation of what was carried out for the egr.
will update when i have further information.
Did you receive paperwork for egr replacement? Should i insist on having documentation to prove work was carried out?

Styl3r
For info, had my EGR Cooler fix done under Warranty at 46k in 2017 at Taunton Volvo. When I asked for evidence of the work done for my records they gave me a full Warranty Invoice for the work done with all parts and costs itemised. Total bill would have come to £830. Your dealer should be able to print one off for you because presumably they have to submit a claim to Volvo for the work done.

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 12:23   #2342
Styl3r

update. I have now asked my dealership 3 times for invoice for EGR works carried out, which they stated each time i do not need it. Contacted Volvo UK customer services they confirmed the work was carried out EGR replacement and pipework including software update. I then asked if paperwork should have been provided they explained, it's up to dealership, yet Volvo are now contacting dealership to provide me with invoice for EGR works carried out. So take from that what you will. Sounds to me like they should have provided proof.

Styl3r
Styl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 14:32   #2343
Chrisv60

I've had about 3 EGRs/coolers but never been offered any paperwork.

I can't see why I'd ever need it as the repairs are logged on the Volvo system, but I also don't see why they can't provide it on request should I want a copy.
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 16:29   #2344
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
I've had about 3 EGRs/coolers but never been offered any paperwork.

I can't see why I'd ever need it as the repairs are logged on the Volvo system, but I also don't see why they can't provide it on request should I want a copy.
Lazy dealers basically. I just like to have my own record of what has been done. Had no problem at all with my Dealer; printed off the Warranty Invoice without question

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 14:28   #2345
Styl3r

Hi guys, quick update. So had my annual service and the new recall carried out. Which was the ECM update.
My views so far;
extra 3 miles per gallon so far (town driving) but not carried out much driving yet, but same locations and driving style so a slight improvement.
when pulling out in traffic, i wouldn't say perfect but the car certainly pulls away better so a little less bum tweaky(technical word).
The both radiator fans are still coming in at normal running temp so that's not any better and will be contacting dealership about this and any other concerns. They have actually asked me to give them feedback, surprisingly!!
same as last update when i first used the aircon again button didn't work, so pressed the auto climate button and aircon button illuminated, turned auto climate off and aircon. pressed aircon button again and this time it worked, so another weird software bug, same as last one, although aircon button worked after first problem not days later.
As i do more varied driving I will update with any other observations I find going forward.

Cheers guys

Styl3r
Styl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:04   #2346
takzthejoker

Default Advice Please

Hello chaps,

I'm new to this forum! I have been reading up the comments by members regarding the EGR/Cooler problem. The Engine Management Light came on recently along with the tortoise (Reduced Engine Performance).

My Volvo is an XC60 D4 (R-Design) 2015 on a 65 plate that's covered 80k. The vehicle was owned by LeasePlan from new and was serviced by their very own garages by the name of Prestige.

I took the car into Marshalls here in Peterborough and after diagnosing the fault, they advised that both the EGR Valve and Cooler will need replacing at a cost of £1100.

I spoke to Volvo customer services and they have advised that because my car was not serviced by Volvo, they would not be willing to offer any sort of good will as the vehicle was not maintained by Volvo/Marshalls.

Question - do i have a fighting chance of taking this further and arguing my case or not?

Please advise!
takzthejoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:29   #2347
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by takzthejoker View Post
Hello chaps,

I'm new to this forum! I have been reading up the comments by members regarding the EGR/Cooler problem. The Engine Management Light came on recently along with the tortoise (Reduced Engine Performance).

My Volvo is an XC60 D4 (R-Design) 2015 on a 65 plate that's covered 80k. The vehicle was owned by LeasePlan from new and was serviced by their very own garages by the name of Prestige.

I took the car into Marshalls here in Peterborough and after diagnosing the fault, they advised that both the EGR Valve and Cooler will need replacing at a cost of £1100.

I spoke to Volvo customer services and they have advised that because my car was not serviced by Volvo, they would not be willing to offer any sort of good will as the vehicle was not maintained by Volvo/Marshalls.

Question - do i have a fighting chance of taking this further and arguing my case or not?

Please advise!
That is scandalous, they are abrogating their responsibility. Even cars with full Volvo service history have had this failure. Where it was serviced has no influence on a dodgy, poorly designed,EGR valve and cooler.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 12:41   #2348
KINGST

Quote:
Hello chaps,

Please advise!
I am also having similar situation. Just been informed we need a new EGR valve and cooler and waiting for a response from the dealer about a gesture of good will!

I wondered if someone mechanical can help me with a query about this issue. When we bought the car (XC60 2014 D4) we had issue with the coolant leaking but no leak found. We went into our local garage (where we purchased the car) with this issue about three times. After the final visit (no work carried out and no source of the problem found) we didn't have any further warning lights until 18 months later when the engine block cracked! Could this be linked to the faulty EGR valve and cooler??
KINGST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 13:07   #2349
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello chaps,

Please advise!
Keep pushing them, but unfortunately legally they owe you nothing, you have no contract with Volvo or their agents unless you bought it from them.

If you bought it from a trade seller push it with them as that is who your contract is with and its a well known defect with the car.

Just another example of why it is a bad idea to buy a used VEA engined car outside of the Volvo network unfortunately. Sadly it is people like yourself that end up with the hastle.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2020, 00:21   #2350
Ian W XC60

Quote:
This was exactly my fear as to how Volvo would respond as the car got older even though it had full VSH, hence why I got shut after the major rebuilt caused by the EGR throwing soot into the engine inlet side.

Volvo know the EGR has had 3 previous recalls to rework the EGR pipework/cooler and now a 4th regarding the fire risk, they know it and the cooler are flawed but won't take responsibility, they're just keeping the lid on it.

I agree with Bendolfc that you probably have no legal recourse for the reasons he gives but here are some suggestions that may make Volvo have a rethink;

1. There is now a Motoring Ombudsman, don't know much about it but if it works like others make a complaint to Volvo and if they won't budge ask for a deadlock letter so you can make a complaint to the Ombudsman. If it's like the Financial one, they deal less with the strict legalities than with requiring that customers are treated fairly.
2. If you go back to p233, specifically posts2328 & 9 you'll see I've raised it with the Telegraph motoring correspondent Honest John, all the contact details and background are in there. Raise it with him, see if he can follow it up because it really is a red flag for this engine sold outside the Volvo network.
3. Get a copy of What Car magazine, they highlight several cases each month they take up for readers, mostly successfully. Car makers don't like bad publicity, try and give them some!

Whether any of these will work, I don't know but certainly worth a try. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc
Just another example of why it is a bad idea to buy a used VEA engined car
Sorted that for you