Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 'Battery Low'

Views : 6933

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 08:46   #21
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
They do die, I have been told 5 years is a good innings for a car battery.

I am off later today to pick up a new 90 AH monster from the dealer, I tried sourcing it from other motor factors but getting one of that capacity and physical size was impossible. Apparently the Volvo branded batteries are Varta batteries. A solid well made, expensive German make.
Tried a 90 ah battery from Bosch it fitted in the space but could not fit the front cover over the battery so had to change it for a 80ah.

Just a thought the Volvo battery was also made in Germany and the Bosch covers for the two terminals also fit the Volvo battery?
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 14:51   #22
Fat Magpie

Just back from my Volvo dealer and once again they have exceeded my expectations.

I picked up a Volvo branded 95AH monster that fits...for less than what the local large DIY superstore auto section was charging for a 95AH Bosch that did not physically fit.

I read somewhere that Varta make the Volvo batteries but I may be wrong.

My beast has the aux diesel heater, that consumes current when running so I wanted the biggest battery that would physically fit.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.

Last edited by Fat Magpie; Feb 2nd, 2017 at 15:17.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 15:10   #23
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Magpie View Post
Just back from my Volvo dealer and once again they have exceeded my expectations.

I picked up a Volvo branded 95AH monster that fits...for less than what the local large DIY superstore auto section was charging for a 95AH Bosch that did not physically fit.

I read somewhere that Varta make the Volvo batteries but I may be wrong.

My beast has the aux diesel heater, that consumes current when running so I wanted the biggest battery that would physically fit.
Mines popping up the Low Battery Warning on occassion, I thought giving it a 300mile run would have cleared it for longer than a week.

How much was the dealer charging for the replacement & did they fit it ? Reason I ask I currently reside in a hotel & my toolkit is 300 Miles away.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 15:53   #24
Fat Magpie

I did it myself , it took 15 min and one 10mm socket and wrench.

I paid €185, the local megastore which has a car dept wanted €190 for a Bosch of identical amperage that physically did not fit.

My Volvo sits in Germany, the dealer is in Heidelberg.

EDIT - I think the dealer wanted €60 for fitting.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.

Last edited by Fat Magpie; Feb 6th, 2017 at 16:13.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 20:41   #25
Thrustyjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Mines popping up the Low Battery Warning on occassion, I thought giving it a 300mile run would have cleared it for longer than a week.

How much was the dealer charging for the replacement & did they fit it ? Reason I ask I currently reside in a hotel & my toolkit is 300 Miles away.
Well, new key fob batteries fitted today and a new rubber button face in one too for under a tenner for all. Andy, have you changed the key fob batteries first before thinking its the cars battery ?
If Volvo charge 60 Euro to change a battery, I am in the wrong business !!
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thrustyjust For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 21:24   #26
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustyjust View Post
Well, new key fob batteries fitted today and a new rubber button face in one too for under a tenner for all. Andy, have you changed the key fob batteries first before thinking its the cars battery ?
If Volvo charge 60 Euro to change a battery, I am in the wrong business !!
Will give that a whirl first I think, Darn site cheaper than replacing the one on the car.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2017, 07:17   #27
Fat Magpie

I think it was €60, I not sure but like any business they have a min charge for work, had the battery change being part of the service it may have been done for free, but as a one off job they probably have a fixed min charge.

Regarding my own small business, I would do a 15-20 min job free for existing clients but anything else over that I charge 1/2 a days rate as it ties me up.

Given some of my appalling and quite shocking experiences with other dealers, looking at you BMW in Belfast I think my Volvo dealer is superb and I am a loyal customer.
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 22:31   #28
Thrustyjust

Well nearly 2 weeks in and so far we havent had any battery low lights come up on the dash after the fob battery changes. As the cells look totally covered in clear acid water in the cars battery , I wont yet change it , as sure it should last a bit longer. So a cheap repair , which is always good.
Thrustyjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 14:19   #29
adrianmol
C70 Owner

Angry 2015 XC60 D4 suffers from low battery warning.

I have owned my XC60 D4 from new and I commute 12 miles each way on country roads. I use 1 heated seat and rarely my heated windscreen. In the winter the Battery Low warning will often show because 24 miles per day is insufficient to charge the battery. My auto engine Stop /Start only works for a few weeks in the summer because the battery is not being charged up after starting. I am not impressed, surely Volvo should have designed the alternator to top up the battery on a 12 mile commute. I have to top up the battery every month with a charger to lose the warning.
adrianmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 14:27   #30
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

My commute to the station is 8 miles each way and I do that most days now (and have done for the past 6 months) - sometimes at weekends I don't use the car at all as I have other wagons lying around. It sometimes gets a longish run every other week of 100ml plus, but most of the time now it is train and car sits in car park.

Never had any battery issues or warning of low charge.