Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please. I'm giving it one last go!

Views : 2996

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:18   #11
Shinsplintz 101

Take my advice - if you want to modify a T5 then by all means do - but budget for a bespoke Map from either Tim Williams or Shem.

Increasing the MAF housing / larger injectors or strapping a ruddy great blower on will all end badly with an off the shelf map.

These cars can be picked up cheaply - and are simple to modify up to about 260-280 bhp. But modifying them up over 300 is an art form - do it wrong & you might as well sit in the garden burning tenners - it'll be cheaper & less frustrating.

Go back to standard & hopefully you haven't knackered the engine - would be a shame to see another potentially good T5 get broken through misguided mods if the engine is slag. You're not the first & you are unlikely to be the last.

Good luck.
Shinsplintz 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:28   #12
Mkengineering
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
Take my advice - if you want to modify a T5 then by all means do - but budget for a bespoke Map from either Tim Williams or Shem.

Increasing the MAF housing / larger injectors or strapping a ruddy great blower on will all end badly with an off the shelf map.

These cars can be picked up cheaply - and are simple to modify up to about 260-280 bhp. But modifying them up over 300 is an art form - do it wrong & you might as well sit in the garden burning tenners - it'll be cheaper & less frustrating.

Go back to standard & hopefully you haven't knackered the engine - would be a shame to see another potentially good T5 get broken through misguided mods if the engine is slag. You're not the first & you are unlikely to be the last.

Good luck.
The only things is I told shem what things I've done. And he supplied me with the map.

But I'll revert back to standard ie.

Reinstall the standard injectors
Install the standard maf housing
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:30   #13
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
you might as well sit in the garden burning tenners.
fun fact, they do this in Taiwan. You buy "ghost money" and they put it in a little ceremonial burner. Quite a big economy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_paper
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 20:42   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The one thing you haven't checked/changed as far as i can see is the one thing that determines mixture - the Lambda sensor!

They can go out of spec and cause major over-fueling WITHOUT throwing a fault on the engine management system or bringing the EML on.

I've seen a Lambda sensor fail during an emissions test for the MoT and when the CO got up to 9% (from 0.00% when the tst started) the tester pulled the hose out of the tailpipes.

It took another hour before the EML came up on the dash but i'm fairly sure it had been dodgy for a while because occasionally it would give a puff of black smoke out the back end when i hoofed it.

I'd investigate the Lambda sensor before pulling various bits off what was seemingly a working combination.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 21:56   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

White smoke maybe head gasket or even brake servo leaks. Have you done a compression test?
Does it pass the rubber glove test that checks that the PCV is working OK?

Last edited by Derek UK; Jan 19th, 2020 at 23:03.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 22:12   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
White smoke maybe head gasket or even brake servo leaks.
White smoke could also be turbo seals leaking due to worn bearings/seals. It could also explain the strange idle as the oil from the turbo would supply extra fuel and the leaks, extra air. I've known that happen on a few diesel engines and also disels that have been converted to spark ignition running methane.

If the turbo is leaking air in, the Lambda sensor (assuming it's working) will add fuel to the mix causing high (but not high like that is) consumption.

Of course it could be a leaky injector letting fuel out all the time as well..............

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 22:19   #17
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
White smoke could also be turbo seals leaking due to worn bearings/seals. It could also explain the strange idle as the oil from the turbo would supply extra fuel and the leaks, extra air. I've known that happen on a few diesel engines and also disels that have been converted to spark ignition running methane.

If the turbo is leaking air in, the Lambda sensor (assuming it's working) will add fuel to the mix causing high (but not high like that is) consumption.

Of course it could be a leaky injector letting fuel out all the time as well..............
If turbo was providing oil, as it's a petrol engine it would chew on it, i.e. revs would reduce and you'd get blue smoke. Diesels the other way around, the example you describe here is how most modern engines result in "diesel runaway" - this doesn't happen with petrol as it would just flood itself and stall.

Most likely in this case, I'd say its overfuelling. Especially given the ****e consumption that OP has already stated.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 22:42   #18
Mkengineering
Master Member

So is everyone saying I change the o2 sensors?

As there are 2 sensors on this car. Someone told me that the sensor at the front is basically a moron while the rear sensor does all of the mixture.
Mkengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mkengineering For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 23:06   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkengineering View Post
So is everyone saying I change the o2 sensors?

As there are 2 sensors on this car. Someone told me that the sensor at the front is basically a moron while the rear sensor does all of the mixture.
rule one performance and economy never come together.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2020, 23:08   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
If turbo was providing oil, as it's a petrol engine it would chew on it, i.e. revs would reduce and you'd get blue smoke.
Petrol and oil mixed and burned = blue smoke

Oiil burned by itself (eg as a result of oil leaking past turbo seals) = white smoke.

Over fueling (petrol or diesel) = black smoke.

First one indicates engine wear so crankcase oil is moxing with the combustion charge (diesel or petrol) whether due to worn bores/pistons/rings/valve guides etc or pulling in through faulty PCV system

Second is best demonstrated when a turbo fails and oil from the engine lube system enters the hot turbine housing and self-ignites

Third is typified by the USA trend for "rollin' coal" - turning up the diesel feed to overfuel and belching black clouds of smoke out of the exhausts.

However on some engines the cold start is cahieved simply by overfueling, worked on a few of those in my time as well, a 1963 Coles crane by Southampton Water was particularly memorable,

It wouldn't start due to a charging problem and the battery kept going flat for the same reason (parasitic drain from a faulty regulator - pre-solid state regulator at that age of course!) but varying people had been trying to get it to start, all to no avail.

I put right the mistakes they had made, sorted the regulator, charged the batteries and fired it up.

Definitely a "Deep Purple" moment!

Another memorable one was a pair of 6-pot Volvo Pentas in a split-hull dredger, the hydraulics had failed while opening the hull to discharge the cargo and the two halves had gone further than designed to and severed the multicore cables (40 if memory serves in each plus a master with about 120 in feeding them and some other stuff) feeding each hull and engine and bringing signals back to the GACs in the engine control room.

After rewiring the whole shooting match, i had to fire up both engines and test all functions including the charging alternators on each engine and the generators. No glow plugs on those either so again, it was overfueling for cold start.

At least this time it really was on the water, not just next to it and instead of the slow, rhytmic growl of the Gardner 6-pot in the crane, there were two straight-6 howls from the pair of Volvo 6-pot diesel Penta lumps, each belching a plume of black smoke out.

Going back to my point, even in a petrol, if the turbo fails it can suck oil in from the worn bushes/seals and fire it into the inlet manifold, already compressed so when it reaches the combustion chamber with the petrol, it will burn separately, producing white smoke when the fuel ignites, hence a mix of black and white smoke if it's overfueling.