Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26997

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 20:33   #201
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

What a crying shame bearing in mind how well you had looked after it. 😥

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 21:39   #202
ianu
Premier Member

[QUOTE=Odysseus;2932538]I’ll let the pictures do the talking…

Oh my good grief - flip me!!!
That ain't gonna polish out - gutted for you.
Incredibly the weakest point was the windscreen - doesn't look too flattened considering what landed on it - bug*er
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 16:45   #203
Odysseus

Having put a reasonable amount of effort into this thread over the years, I figured this story needed a proper ending.

On the evening of January 21st around 20:25 during storm Isha, one of the very big trees adjacent to my drive cracked about half way up, and landed on my driveway, landing on the XC90 with catastrophic results and covered my VW California parked next to it with dozens of dents of various sizes. We heard it happen and could see some of the damage from the window but it wasn't until the following day where we dared venture outside that the full damage became clear.

What followed has made me feel like an expert in the insurance industry. Despite the tree technically belonging to my neighbour, I had to initiate insurance claims with my car insurance company for each car, and my house insurance for the damage sustained to my garage doors. Fortunately my house escaped unharmed, aside from a small piece of cracked guttering, and an ominous line of bark down the wall between the garage doors when the falling tree scraped down the house as it fell.

The first step was to arrange for a tree surgeon to clear the fallen tree. This allowed the full extent of the damage to the XC90 to become clear.

Evidently when the tree fell it hit the top of the dash with enough force to smash the instrument binnacle and bend the whole dash down, with the corresponding 'ripple' sending the centre console flying off with the contents strewn everywhere.

Worth noting that despite all the damage, all doors could be opened, and I was later to discover it still started first time, good old Volvo!

Obviously it was written off. The insurance company ended up paying me around £1000 less than I'd paid for the XC90 nearly five years and 46,000 miles before, so that was a bit of a win (and partially explains why our premiums are so high). The clock was then ticking on finding a suitable replacement.

As I mentioned previously on this thread, there was a feeling that we should move the Volvo on this year anyway and replace it with something 'green', so I already had a short list of potential replacements, but having to go from passive to active on my AutoTrader searching was quite novel, and not without stress.

We drove three different cars, a Toyota Highlander, a Lexus RXL, and a Tesla Model X. None of the cars were bad, all had their strengths, but on balance it was the Tesla we (including the kids) liked most of all, so the search started in earnest. Worth noting that I didn't shortlist the XC90 T8, as I'd heard just too many scary stories of unreliability for the years in my price range.

Eventually I found a Model X 100D seven seater with the right options, and crucially seven seats, and the deal was done. And yes, I know the 22" wheels are ridiculous, but they make it look so cool.

I know this is a Volvo forum and not a Tesla forum, so I won't bore anyone with too much detail, but it's fair to say that having an electric car, particularly a Tesla, means learning a whole new rule book about motoring, it's simply different. The Tesla has acres of space, a huge boot (for a seven seater) and the space under the bonnet, so should prove equal to the task of being a family wagon and fingers crossed is as satisfying to own as the XC90 was.

One silver lining that's come from the tree is new garage doors. I was able to replace my two old school up and over doors with two new electric doors all under insurance.

Finally, 2024 was always going to be the year where I made good on my mid-life crisis sports car dream. To that end, this bad boy is now a feature on my driveway.

I mention this because the Aston Martin has a few features us Volvo fans will recognise!

Given the circumstances of the XC90's rapid departure, there's some things left over. I have a full folder of receipts which I suppose I'll just bin, but I also have roof bars which I bought, fitted once, removed, and then put in the garage, as well as the remote control for the navigation, and a luggage/boot/load cover, all in very good condition. If you'd like any of these please send me a PM. No charge, all free, but I'd rather not be fussed with posting so collection only. I'm between Huntingdon and St. Neots in Cambridgeshire.

To conclude, it was a sad end for my XC90 as I have no doubt it would have carried on for years to come, whether with me or with a different owner. However, it did us proud, and all the memories we have of it are positive.

Finally, the last picture I have of the XC90, driving away under its own power, on the way to the back of the Copart lorry.

Thanks for all the wisdom, help, and kind wishes over the years, and the very best to you all.

Last edited by Odysseus; Mar 14th, 2024 at 16:55.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 20:01   #204
Kev0607
Premier Member

A sad ending to a car that you'd clearly looked after and cherished over the years.

I wish you luck with your new purchase, but hey... you can still say hello to us, even if you now own a Tesla!
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 22:04   #205
Carlosos

What a garage now though. I love my xc90 but as if I wouldn’t swap her for a model x and a vert Aston!
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 13:53   #206
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Thanks for your contribution over the years. I have followed with interest!

Pleased to see you have the Aston. I will be interested to hear in time your views on whether an electric car can ever come close to the sensory experience of an amazing machine such as an Aston.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 08:15   #207
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
Thanks for your contribution over the years. I have followed with interest!

Pleased to see you have the Aston. I will be interested to hear in time your views on whether an electric car can ever come close to the sensory experience of an amazing machine such as an Aston.
Thanks! But I think I could probably answer your question right now. The Aston for me represents what I really want from a car designed to 'thrill'. The top goes down, the exhaust howls, and I engage with the car in a very mechanical, analogue way. For a man like me raised on watching Mansell chase Senna around the streets of Monte Carlo, Colin McRae flash past trees with inches to spare, and Burt Reynolds evade the law in a black Trans Am, it's definitely a sensory experience driving the Vantage.

That said, today's youth don't have the same cultural influences I had, and if there was an electric car designed to excite then I don't see any reason why, for some people, it would tick all their boxes the same way my Vantage ticks mine.

My Model X isn't a 'thrilling' car (though it's faster to 60 than my Aston Martin, and more powerful), but then neither was my XC90 thrilling. The attributes I want from my Tesla (and had from my XC90) are comfort, reliability, the ability to cover miles easily, and so on. My Model X brings everything up to date in terms of creature comforts, such as seven heated seats, loads of room, and a high degree of driver assist.

Aston = Thrilling (sensory experience)
Model X = Satisfying (intellectual experience)
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 13:39   #208
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

I hoped you would say something like that!
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote