Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D4 (VEA) manual - service number 6

Views : 3646

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2019, 20:54   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
So if I was to buy VIDA 2014d DVD, would it contain all the info I require to perform a DIY service?
Yes once you got it running .. It would list special tools as you went along too .
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 23:08   #12
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes once you got it running .. It would list special tools as you went along too .
I didn't mean with a DiCE, just using the info on the DVD. But you think it would need special tools to do a service?
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 10:41   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
I didn't mean with a DiCE, just using the info on the DVD. But you think it would need special tools to do a service?
yes all the info is there in the VIDA ... the cambelt is now done on the 90000 mile service so You need to get it done on this service now ...
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 13:34   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
yes all the info is there in the VIDA ... the cambelt is now done on the 90000 mile service so You need to get it done on this service now ...
Thanks. I may DIY it, as it's really little more than a glorified oil change. But depends if the outstanding recall will cover the valve stem check for free.

On less than 82k miles, so whoever does the service can leave the belt change until the next service (when it will still be on 90k or only just over). Or I may do it as a separate task in the summer.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 09:35   #15
Lojzek

But how do you calibrate oil level gauge? You probably need vida dice?
Lojzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 10:42   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
yes indeed that is the case ..
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 11:04   #17
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
If it helps, I've just serviced my VEA T2. I have aftermarket diagnostic kit which reads the engine oil level sensor, but you can use Torque Pro or Car Scanner apps as well.

I started by reading the oil level from the engine sensor, which in my case was 39mm and had not changed since the last dealer service.

I then drained the sump and oil filter into a drain pan, and measured the quantity of oil removed, which was just over 5.2 litres (bearing in mind after decanting and measuring a film of oil still remained in the drain pan and measuring jug).

Replaced the sump plug and filter, and filled the engine with 5.0 litres of oil. Ran it for a couple of minutes to fill the filter and check for any leaks, then left it to cool down.

Then I used my diagnostic kit to monitor the engine oil sensor in real time, whilst adding oil 0.1 litres at a time and waiting for the sensor reading to stabilise at the new level each time. It stabilises fairly quickly owing to the viscocity of the 0W20 oil.

in total, 5.3 litres of oil took the level back to 39mm. I have driven the car for almost a week since the oil change. The electronic dipstick still reads "OK" and no other warnings have appeared.

Caveat: I don't know if my diagnostic kit recalibrates the oil level sensor at the same time as it resets the service message. There is no indication in the software notes that it does so, but I know that the oil reset for my Ducato using the same kit both resets the service message in the BCM and the oil degradation counter in the ECM, which are two distinct functions in the Fiat dealer software.

Obviously the oil level and oil quantities will be lower for the diesel VEA engine ;-)
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:08   #18
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
...Included in this service

Examples of service actions:
Brake pads, brake discs - check
SRI - set the service reminder indicator (SRI) to zero
Engine, transmission - check for leaks
Air cleaner passenger compartment replace
Fuel filter replacement
Air cleaner engine replace

Additional actions completed at this service
Automatic transmission control - check the park / neutral position (PNP) switch
Engine coolant - check and adjust the antifreeze/corrosion protection strength
Engine oil, oil filter - change oil and oil filter
External lighting - check the function
Fluid levels - engine compartment - check and adjust the brake Fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid, coolant level
Fuel filter - drain off the condensation
Horn - check operation
Parking brake - check and adjust
Roof system - check and lubricate
Seat belts - check the function and for signs of wear
Valve stem intake, all check
Washers and wipers for windshields and headlamps - check the function and for signs of wear
Wheels and tyres: check for damage, thread depth of tyres in mm FL_____, FR_____, RL_____, RR_____
Headlamp/fog lamp - check and align headlamps
Reset tyre pressure monitor system
Tyres excl. spare wheel: check and adjust the air pressure FL_____,FR_____,RL_____,RR_____
AWD: Final drive, bevel gear - check for leaks
AWD: Propeller shaft, pilot bearing, universal joint - check for signs of wear
Brake lines, fuel lines, fuel filter - check for leakage and damage
Drive shafts - check for wear - check rubber bellows for condition / damage
Front suspension, steering system - check for wear and damage
Rear wheel suspension - check for wear and damage
Vehicle with camera for collision warning - clean the inside of the windscreen in front of the camera lens...
I took my car in for its annual service a few weeks ago, unfortunately I subsequently discovered that the line item 'valve stem intake, all check' listed as an included service activity on the Volvo website (copied above) was NOT undertaken. The dealer explained to me that the job sheets from Volvo did not include this activity and suggested that I contacted Volvo UK with my complaint. Unfortunately Volvo UK couldn't have been less interested, dismissing this as an error that should have not have been on their website!

My question is though, has anyone actually had the activity 'valve stem intake, all check' performed on their car (and how was it done)?
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 19:40   #19
scbamber

Hi Zebster

A few weeks ago my car (MY2015 D4 V60 manual) had its recall work done for the fire risk. The invoice says "Carried out dynamic compression test and passed. Removed inlet manifold and carried out inlet valve vacuum test and passed. Fit new inlet manifold, reset swirl adaptions and cleared fault codes"

So it was a vacuum test to check the valve stem seal. The dealer (with whom I have always been very pleased) did what they should have done.

If I were you I'd feel a letter to Volvo (cc to Honest John) coming on.

Has your manifold recall been done yet?

Last edited by scbamber; Feb 12th, 2020 at 19:45.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 20:57   #20
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbamber View Post
Hi Zebster

A few weeks ago my car (MY2015 D4 V60 manual) had its recall work done for the fire risk. The invoice says "Carried out dynamic compression test and passed. Removed inlet manifold and carried out inlet valve vacuum test and passed. Fit new inlet manifold, reset swirl adaptions and cleared fault codes"

So it was a vacuum test to check the valve stem seal. The dealer (with whom I have always been very pleased) did what they should have done.

If I were you I'd feel a letter to Volvo (cc to Honest John) coming on.

Has your manifold recall been done yet?
Interesting, thanks. I had the recall work done at the same time as the service, but for mine it was merely an inspection of the outside of the manifold, a software update and cleaning of the EMAP & TMAP sensors... others have reported similarly minimalist actions, so maybe yours was exhibiting signs of a deeper problem?

After exchanging many detailed emails with the dealer, they did ask me to contact Volvo UK Customer Care, although they then merely admitted they'd made an error on their website and offered me a £100 voucher for use at a Volvo dealer, which I rejected and was then told that this was their final offer and to take my complaint to the motor ombudsman! I am currently looking into this, although the dealer are still trying to come up with a compromise. I hadn't thought of HJ, even though I am a member.