Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possible slight hesitation

Views : 1474

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2019, 19:49   #1
Geordiesteve

Default Possible slight hesitation

Hi guys,

Had my 19 plate V90 D4 R design for 3 or 4 weeks now and loving it, and while I'm not 100% sure every now and then I think I'm picking up a slight hesitation. I've only noticed this under light acceleration, while reducing speed around round abouts and maintaining speed at low speed up an incline.
I'm not sure as I say if this is hesitation or if its the gearing or maybe engine breaking.

Any thoughts or anyone else came across this?

Thanks guys
Geordiesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 17:51   #2
Geordiesteve

Okay so as this was highjacked I will try again.

If any of you could read the 1st post and give me your thoughts please.
I noticed today (as I'm trying to recreate what I've picked up as possible hesitation.... It may just be used to different manufacturer) if I accelerate then release the accelerator there's what I described as hesitation. As the revs reduce that's when you sense it.
It could be engine breaking or gearing? But I can feel what I can best describe as kangarooing... Not a lot only slight.

Thanks again
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 18:02   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordiesteve View Post
Okay so as this was highjacked I will try again.

If any of you could read the 1st post and give me your thoughts please.
I noticed today (as I'm trying to recreate what I've picked up as possible hesitation.... It may just be used to different manufacturer) if I accelerate then release the accelerator there's what I described as hesitation. As the revs reduce that's when you sense it.
It could be engine breaking or gearing? But I can feel what I can best describe as kangarooing... Not a lot only slight.

Thanks again
Are you feeling the gearbox changing down on the overrun as you slow down, like a 3 step very slight kick in the back, as though it is hanging on to the gears a bit too long.
If so this has been an issue which has now being addressed with a software update.
I think the gearbox is trying too hard to drive economically.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 18:05   #4
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

You can both pack in being argumentative. I don't want to see any more reported posts involving a certain name anytime soon, although in this case in my eyes it wasn't that name who threw the first proper punch...so lower your collective blood pressure.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 18:07   #5
St Evelyn
VOC Member

What the OP describes is similar to what I experienced in my last car, a 520D.

Upon investigation, the dealership decided to replace the MAF and this fixed the issue immediately.
Interestingly, I had very similar symptoms on the car prior to that (S80 D3 manual) that was never cured, so starting to wonder whether my driving style (mostly quite laid back, gentle on the throttle) could be a contributory factor in some way.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 19:15   #6
Geordiesteve

That does sound about right. It's not there/noticible at speed, but is at low spead/ stop start.

Worth contacting my local dealer?
I bought through Volvo Selekt but not a local network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Are you feeling the gearbox changing down on the overrun as you slow down, like a 3 step very slight kick in the back, as though it is hanging on to the gears a bit too long.
If so this has been an issue which has now being addressed with a software update.
I think the gearbox is trying too hard to drive economically.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 00:20   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
That does sound about right. It's not there/noticible at speed, but is at low spead/ stop start.

Worth contacting my local dealer?
I bought through Volvo Selekt but not a local network.
It will or should get a software update during your normal service which should sort this out but it may be worth having a word with your dealer, they may do the update earlier, this would either sort it out or rule this out as your problem.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 16:24   #8
Geordiesteve

Thanks.
I'm going to drop my local dealership a mail tomorrow.

It's weird as just been on a motorway run and would never detect it but on stop start low speed / B roads you can detect it. Especially if I put my foot down, accelerate hard then let it decelerate naturally.

Does that sound like what you were describing about holding gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
It will or should get a software update during your normal service which should sort this out but it may be worth having a word with your dealer, they may do the update earlier, this would either sort it out or rule this out as your problem.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 18:45   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks.
I'm going to drop my local dealership a mail tomorrow.

It's weird as just been on a motorway run and would never detect it but on stop start low speed / B roads you can detect it. Especially if I put my foot down, accelerate hard then let it decelerate naturally.

Does that sound like what you were describing about holding gears?
I only ever felt this at slow speeds, slowing down to turn a corner just before turning or at junctions, but I would not rule out what you are experiencing, a dealer visit will be best option.
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 08:28   #10
Deman77
Master Member

It’s SPA platform feature when auto is mated to a diesel (petrols seem fine). It just completely wastes the revs even when you shift it down manually, loses all the turbo power, then starts way down in rev range with a ton of power lag. It’s less prominent with d4 due to smaller turbo but with D5 it’s pretty much how it is designed. Software updates make a big improvement for a few weeks then it’s back to usual. The logic reset doesn’t quite resolve it. The reviews were quiet about this in the first couple of years of SPA life to the point that people thought they had faults but dealer will not be interested (no fault found will be your result). but they just can’t hide it anymore (that or Volvo marketing spend is much lower) so it’s mentioned in pretty much every one of them now.