Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'04 V40 headlamp problem

Views : 673

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 18:58   #1
GrahamK

Default '04 V40 headlamp problem

Fitting a new bulb in my nearside headlamp today I managed to dislodge the reflector, I assume it clips into the adjuster, now it's just rattling about so the aim is all wrong. Typically it happened just before taking it for it's MOT which I had to cancel.

Is there any way to fix this without removing the headlamp unit, which seems to be a fairly major job from what I've read?
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 19:24   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Ideally yes.. The headlight housing needs to come out and then a simple push of the reflector and it goes back in again.

The proper way to get the headlamp out is by undoing the front bumper and pulling it out an inch or so. However there is another way (you don't have to remove the bumper) where you can use a bit of force and push the bumper down with your knee (where the headlight is) while you are wiggling out the headlamp. Search in the forum and you will find a few comments about it.

The reflector is secured with a clip clipping on a ball joint.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 19:28   #3
Dog_Book
Idiot

When i did mine all i did was remove the light buld and reach in with 2 fingers and pop it back on the adjuster ball screw

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dog_Book For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 19:31   #4
GrahamK

I did a search on this earlier before I posted, and it seems as mine has headlamp wipers the unit can't be removed without removing the bumper first?

I guessed it must be a simple clip as it came apart pretty easily as I pushed the new bulb in, think I may just fiddle about with it and see if I can work it back into place without dismantling half the car!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 19:32   #5
GrahamK

Quote:
When i did mine all i did was remove the light buld and reach in with 2 fingers and pop it back on the adjuster ball screw
I'm hoping that will work!
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 19:36   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Have a look here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=92207 post 10

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 22:31   #7
Cliveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
I have read the linked post and understand how some of the clips which hold the front headlight glass on are accessible and can be levered off . . . . and I understand that the bottom clips you can't reach will then 'ping off' as the front headlight glass is levered away . . . . . but I don't understand how you then get the bottom clips back on when you have finished doing what you need to do . . . . can someone explain please?
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 22:37   #8
GrahamK

Well in post #3 he says
Quote:
Pull the lens off and listen to the two hidden clips go ping. Retrieve these from the ground for when you decide to do this properly.
I take this to mean you just leave the bottom two off until you can be bothered to remove the bumper one day and refit them. Until then the lens isn't going anywhere with 5 clips and a bumper and silicone holding it in place.

I'm going to see if I can clip the thing back in place by jiggling it about first, if that fails then this seems worth a try, and if that fails too then...
Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 14:06   #9
GrahamK

Just fixed this, I found I didn't need to completely remove the lens, just undid the top and side clips and pulled the top forward until I could see what I was doing, reattached the reflector then pushed the lens back into place and replaced the clips, no more than 5 minutes.

Thanks all!