Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Wind Noise Over 85 MPH

Views : 45713

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2009, 19:29   #41
chilton55555

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Owner View Post
Ok so my car is at the garage having a 1 yr service. They have confirmed there is a work item on the system for wind noise from wing mirror. My wife is there and they showed her where a replacement seal is needed, she said "the bar between the windscreen and the door," which sounds like the a-pillar to me. Unfortunately they need to ordder part so it can't be done today but it sounds like there is a known fix for our problem. My wife says he pointed to exactly where our noise is coming from so fingers crossed.
Can you please advise what the Volvo work item code is for this fix?
chilton55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:19   #42
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilton55555 View Post
Can you please advise what the Volvo work item code is for this fix?
Can is going in tomorrow for fix. Will see if I can find out.

But having spoken to garage again since last post I think it is not a recall item.

He said he entered wind noise into the "system" and it came up as a possible cause/fix - it is a windscreen seal on the A pillar.

He said they only look these things up when someone gets a problem and the 'system' shows problems that other dealers have fixed.

So it sounds like they have some kind of knowlegde base of problems and fixes that builds up over time.

Ask the garage to search for the problem of windnoise and they should get the item but I will also ask.
XC60Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 18:19   #43
chilton55555

Quote:
Can is going in tomorrow for fix. Will see if I can find out.

But having spoken to garage again since last post I think it is not a recall item.

He said he entered wind noise into the "system" and it came up as a possible cause/fix - it is a windscreen seal on the A pillar.

He said they only look these things up when someone gets a problem and the 'system' shows problems that other dealers have fixed.

So it sounds like they have some kind of knowlegde base of problems and fixes that builds up over time.

Ask the garage to search for the problem of windnoise and they should get the item but I will also ask.
Did the fix sort the noise problem for you? If so did they give you the item code number?
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 10:32   #44
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilton55555 View Post
Did the fix sort the noise problem for you? If so did they give you the item code number?
I'm not sure. I drove it on a motorway at the weekend and outbound it seemed complete fixed - no noise at all - but them coming home there was a faint whistle again - but it was very windy outside and I was travelling faster. I need to do some more testing. I think it is a lot better than before but maybe not completely fixed. All very frustrating.

I'm afraid my wife collected the car in end and there is no paperwork for the work done so I don't know any item codes. But like I say it is a seal on the A pillar and detailed on the Volvo system as a repair for wind noise. My wife says it is the thin plastic strip that runs down the side of the windscreen that they worked on (the one that is body coloured and about 3cm wide) they told her they replaced the seal.

I'd rather not call the garage again just yet - at least until I've had more time to try my car out. Are your garage saying they cannot find this item on the system?
The Following User Says Thank You to XC60Owner For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 15:04   #45
bluesnappa

Once had a noise like it on a Discovery and the guy literally bent the door to create a tighter seal fit and the noise stopped. He said it was wind escaping ...I mean air escaping...through the seal due to the pressure difference. Could be the same sort of thing here. If you have a 'slack seal' then the whistle will start at lower speed. 'Tight sealers' can go faster.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 21:49   #46
chilton55555

Quote:
I'm not sure. I drove it on a motorway at the weekend and outbound it seemed complete fixed - no noise at all - but them coming home there was a faint whistle again - but it was very windy outside and I was travelling faster. I need to do some more testing. I think it is a lot better than before but maybe not completely fixed. All very frustrating.

I'm afraid my wife collected the car in end and there is no paperwork for the work done so I don't know any item codes. But like I say it is a seal on the A pillar and detailed on the Volvo system as a repair for wind noise. My wife says it is the thin plastic strip that runs down the side of the windscreen that they worked on (the one that is body coloured and about 3cm wide) they told her they replaced the seal.

I'd rather not call the garage again just yet - at least until I've had more time to try my car out. Are your garage saying they cannot find this item on the system?
Thanks for the advice, after much prompting and quoting your experience my Volvo dealer has now found the wind noise repair kit on the Volvo technical advice system, they have ordered the parts and it's due to go into the garage to have them fitted in the morning (30th Dec 09). I will keep you advised

Last edited by chilton55555; Dec 29th, 2009 at 22:20.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 18:13   #47
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Just had my XC60 in for the 3000ml Quality Inspection and they want it back for 2 days to rectify this noise problem (the good thing is that they acknowledge it exists!).

The had a questionnaire from Volvo that I had to complete about this fault (a TIE?), though they did not have any detailed fault reference, just an acknowledgement that the faults exists, Volvo is aware of it, and that they are trying to work on a cure for it.

The other thing that had to be done was software upgrade on the CEM to cure a fault where the windscreen demister fan came on at 50% power.

If anyone knows of an actual fault code for this A Pillar noise please let me know.

TIA
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 13:01   #48
andy.cass
Kendo

Default Wind noise fix to mirror

finally got round to booking the car for it's 3k check - more like 4k when it gets there. I mentioned the wind noise issue to the dealer on booking and asked if this was a known issue. He explained there was a problem with gaps on the door mirror that allow air in at speed creating the whistle. He said it was a 30 min fix. nor sure what the fix is, but will ask next week after. By the way, I have noticed lately that the noise isn't as bad. I am putting this down to not cleaning the car and the gaps filling with grime.

11.5My XC60 D5 SE Lux Premium, Geartronic, Savile Grey, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Prem Audio with Sub, tow bar.
10MY 2009 XC60 D5 SE Lux Auto
2008 Mini Cooper
andy.cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 13:48   #49
XC60Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.cass View Post
finally got round to booking the car for it's 3k check - more like 4k when it gets there. I mentioned the wind noise issue to the dealer on booking and asked if this was a known issue. He explained there was a problem with gaps on the door mirror that allow air in at speed creating the whistle. He said it was a 30 min fix. nor sure what the fix is, but will ask next week after. By the way, I have noticed lately that the noise isn't as bad. I am putting this down to not cleaning the car and the gaps filling with grime.
That's interesting because the A pillar fix has not completely got rid of my noise - although it is definitely improved.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 14:00   #50
Another

You are so right - the noise from mine was very very minor - they did the fix - and now its blowing a gale ! Not impressed.

Quote:
That's interesting because the A pillar fix has not completely got rid of my noise - although it is definitely improved.
Another is offline   Reply With Quote