Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how well does the V60 AWD drive in snow ?

Views : 3059

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 09:05   #1
Foxwhelp

Default how well does the V60 AWD drive in snow ?

Hi all

I am close to purchasing a V60 AWD D6 Hybrid. From what I have read not all AWD cars drive any better on snow (Audis etc) than their front wheel equivalents. I wondered if any V60 owners have any experience they can share?

also, does it have a snow mode, or any way to change the Torque?
Foxwhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 11:05   #2
Tober

My D5 twin engine is sort of ok in snow but we tend to opt for the old Nissan x trail if there is more than a dusting. Have just fitted some Michelin cross climates to the V60 to see if that adds anything.
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 11:10   #3
Tober

There is no snow mode but I have tended to opt for geartronic manual mode the times I have driven in snow. Not sure if that is the right option but it seemed to work for me
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:02   #4
JRL
Master Member

AWD will make a small difference in snow on normal tyres. Snow tyres will make a massive difference as they are designed for the conditions. Will also make a difference on 2 WD. Tyres are the key.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 12:35   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

^^^^^

What he said.

AWD gives you twice the traction, so you can get started and climb steeper gradients than without it. However it gives you NO more grip i.e. no help with cornering or braking - for that you need proper winter tyres (Alpine Snowflake marked).

Utopia is AWD and winter tyres...

Have a look on YouTube - there are some interesting vids, the long and the short of it is you are better off (in snow) with a 2WD car with full winter tyres that a AWD/4x4 car on summer tyres...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 13:39   #6
Foxwhelp

thanks all
Foxwhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 16:27   #7
JBob74

My V60 AWD (not the hybrid) has Michelin Cross Climates and was fine though the snow last year.

I've driven 4wd Tercels and Subarus on ordinary tyres and Fwd Saabs on winter tyres, and with AWD traction is rarely a problem even without winter tyres provided you aren't silly. Steering and stopping however as mentioned above is another matter.

I use the old Disco for heavy snow, but the V60 ploughed through 2ft drifts up our farm track with no problem last winter. I honestly couldn't tell any difference between this on-demand AWD system and the permanent 50/50 split system in the old Subaru in terms of traction.

Obviously the twin engine uses the electric rear drive to give you AWD so operates differently, but they are fine cars in the snow.

And don't forget the AWD gives you better traction all the time - it's good for standing starts onto busy wet roundabouts for example!

Last edited by JBob74; Nov 8th, 2018 at 16:30.
JBob74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 17:51   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob74 View Post
My V60 AWD (not the hybrid) has Michelin Cross Climates and was fine though the snow last year.

I've driven 4wd Tercels and Subarus on ordinary tyres and Fwd Saabs on winter tyres, and with AWD traction is rarely a problem even without winter tyres provided you aren't silly. Steering and stopping however as mentioned above is another matter.

I use the old Disco for heavy snow, but the V60 ploughed through 2ft drifts up our farm track with no problem last winter. I honestly couldn't tell any difference between this on-demand AWD system and the permanent 50/50 split system in the old Subaru in terms of traction.

Obviously the twin engine uses the electric rear drive to give you AWD so operates differently, but they are fine cars in the snow.

And don't forget the AWD gives you better traction all the time - it's good for standing starts onto busy wet roundabouts for example!
I think the "on demand" systems are more capable in mud and snow, the full 4x4 mechanical systems on older Defenders and Discoveries that don't have electronic traction control are prone to "cross-axle"-ing (i.e. spinning a wheel on each axle) which the electronic systems can manage.

AWD also very useful for towing - especially on the more powerful cars - setting off at busy junctions in the wet towing a caravan can be tricky otherwise.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Nov 8th, 2018 at 17:53.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 21:29   #9
postmandick

Default D6 AWD snow fun

Hi there
I have the D6 version and in the Snow earlier this year it never faltered . I fitted Michelin Cross Climate + and they are fantastic , I get 57 MPH on a motorway run and yet still ploughed through a foot of snow without missing a beat
the car is a bit antiseptic after driving an Audi A6 Quattro , in that it just goes without having to think too much .

the trick is finding the traction control and turning it off for driving in deep snow

Enjoy
postmandick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 22:07   #10
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmandick View Post
Hi there
I have the D6 version and in the Snow earlier this year it never faltered . I fitted Michelin Cross Climate + and they are fantastic , I get 57 MPH on a motorway run and yet still ploughed through a foot of snow without missing a beat
the car is a bit antiseptic after driving an Audi A6 Quattro , in that it just goes without having to think too much .

the trick is finding the traction control and turning it off for driving in deep snow

Enjoy
First winter for me with my V60 Polestar with winter tyres; looking forward to having some snow !

My Ford Mondeo ST220 with winter tyres was great in the snow, I expect the V60 to be even better.
GrahamHR is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, hybrid, snow, torque, v60