Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Window Tints

Views : 2823

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2007, 16:41   #11
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

The Police actually have light meters for testing, and I would guess VOSA do to when doing roadside inspections. MOT testers, from what you say, and from never having seen any diferent, are doing it on "personal judgement". Makes no sense. How can the MOT regulations be properly enforced if the parameters change according to who does it? (Not a pop at you Paul, just at the crazy lack of cohesive policies our beloved Government agencies apply)
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 16:41   #12
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Clifton View Post
The MOT inspection manual declares that both the windscreen and the front side windows, if tinted, should allow at least 70% of available light input through the glass.
As a tester of a number of years I do not know how one would measure this though. Presumably "tester's discretion" again???

Paul.
mmm thats very interesting paul..., i have wanted to tint my 850 for a while but always been put off because i knew it would be a mot issue......
however if there is no "physical" way of testing the density of the tint i may well give it a go....
If all elso fails i will "sit" on the tester..lol
cheers
jod
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 16:53   #13
IC
S60R/V70R

Interesting as the Classic S70/V70 glass has a slight tint as standard, so any additional tinting would have to take account of that (don't know if any of the 850s' glass were tinted as standard).

VOC Speed Challenge Champion 2007/08/Joint Winner 2009
Motor Sport Challenge Winner 2008/Joint Winner 2009

<font size=2><font color=RoyalBlue>
</font></font>

IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 17:00   #14
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
mmm thats very interesting paul..., i have wanted to tint my 850 for a while but always been put off because i knew it would be a mot issue......
however if there is no "physical" way of testing the density of the tint i may well give it a go....
If all elso fails i will "sit" on the tester..lol
cheers
jod
Your local friendly roads Policing unit will normally test your tints if you ring them up and ask (much less embarassing than them checking them at a roadside inspection )
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 17:02   #15
pigapumbu
Roary The Racing Car.

I would just tint the front windows and leave the worrying to when someone says something about it. frankly I have driven cars that had pentagon smoke tints on the front and no matter what conditions I was driving in I can honestly say I never strained to see out.

In summer it was excellent cause I never felt the heat come through, the leather seats never got hot or hard due to the heat, the AC never struggled which in turn I am sure saved some CO2.

I have no clue why they don't allow the fronts to be tinted some degree. I once even had the front windscreen tinted with a clear film that stopped UV coming in although I won't advice to do it now. If the film is cheap quality then there will be issues during night driving.

cheers
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 17:47   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

The lightest tint is about 25% so adding that to already tinted window will mean you fall foul of the law and MOT inspectors..

You can tint the windows up to the "B" pillar as dark as you like, but remember that you may still need to see through the windows...
The tint I used on the V90 was "Limo Black" and cuts about 80% of light through-put so keeps the back of the car nice and discrete.
The tint film also has the advantage of stopping the window breaking into thousands of pieces..

There is also a "Security" film a company can fit. essentially the same thing but stronger.
Can't get into the car, not even with a sledge hammer!!
That is available as a dark tint, clear and UV but costs are about £600 or fitting...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 17:50   #17
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigapumbu View Post
I would just tint the front windows and leave the worrying to when someone says something about it.
cheers
I would hope you didn't have an accident with it on, as you can bet your house on an insurance company declining to payout if you have illegal tints on. Is it worth that risk? I pay an additional £30 a year on my premium for the privelege of having my boot windows tinted.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 18:23   #18
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

hi all
thanks you all for your helpfull comments and pics, the front widows are as standard slightly tinted , i have spoken to the chap who is doing the job and he carries a light meter same as the vosa machine,and informs me that the front windows will be legal. the tint will be darker at the back going to the legal limit at the front, also across the road from the garage i work at is a mot testing station and will pop it in just to be on the safe side foc.
thanks
mike
850 tdi
ps will post some pics when job done also i go to the vosa test station every day and will check what the legal light limit is for the front.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 18:41   #19
JD.7
VOC Member

look in the Orwell crossing meet pics.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...JD.2&x=17&y=13

the dark green 850R is my brothers
JD.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 18:55   #20
Paul Clifton
Paul Clifton

Default Mot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
The Police actually have light meters for testing, and I would guess VOSA do to when doing roadside inspections. MOT testers, from what you say, and from never having seen any diferent, are doing it on "personal judgement". Makes no sense. How can the MOT regulations be properly enforced if the parameters change according to who does it? (Not a pop at you Paul, just at the crazy lack of cohesive policies our beloved Government agencies apply)
No offence taken mate, but do tend to agree there are still a lot of 'grey' areas when it comes to testing.

Paul.

A man's knowledge can never outweigh his experience.
Paul Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote