Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo 940 sports estate manual

Views : 26307

Replies : 233

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 23:02   #31
940SportsEdition
From sweden with love

A real shame as there are few enough of these still on the go anyway. But as everyone says, the price is already heading to the point of those in the know not wanting to go any further with their involvment. Shame as with the engine repaired and some TLC, it would make a really good car, what Black is it, is it the standard black or the pearl? If you could look up the colour code under the bonnet, we could find out.
940 Sports Edition, Graphite galaxy's, turbo plus kit, roof bars, dog guard, load cover, load tray, seven seats.
940SportsEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 23:42   #32
Mark480
Loser

Hi Neil

I am the person who pointed you in the direction of this thread!

I am doing all I can to raise the cash to increase my maximum bid (I was the high bidder at £400) www.shiply.com are helping with a quote on getting the car delivered the 540 miles to me. A total budget of £1500 is all I can stretch to. £300+ for shipping £410+ for the car £190 tax £45+ mot £200+ brakes £200+ engine plus a few other randoms makes my £400 bid difficult to increase.

It will then need the wheels refurbishing and a thorough detail to make it the most beautiful Volvo on the road.

I want the car to fully restore and put on the road and use as a family car.

If anyone on here is bidding on it purely for the alloy wheels then please let me know as I will have the car without the wheels.

This car should not be scrapped and needs to be saved.
Mark480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:16   #33
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: £1500 budget

Mark, as much as I applaud your wish to get the car back on the road - so do I and several others, but throwing £1500 at this car in the blind hope of having a good family car is a little silly - and I'm not getting at you.

The fact is, none of us know what the engine problem is, and the £540 you're likely to pay for towing (minimum is £1 a mile in my experience) is probably needed for the engine repair, cause it stands to reason if the repair by a mechanic was going to be £150 (as we were quoted) they would have spent that, Mot'd the car and put it up for maybe £1200/1300 reserve.

Fact is you're probably looking at this scenario:
Towing £540
Brakes £200 (maybe more if the calipers are damaged)
Engine £500 (ballpark if it has to come out and a mech do it)
MOT £45
Others £50 (minimum, there are always 'others')

That's around £1335 plus purchase, plus refurb of wheels (£200), and may need tyres if they've been on five years or so, as they deteriorate due to exposure to the elements - many good tyre fitters recommend changing at 5 yrs even if they look good.

On the other hand, f you can afford to do it, even if it means doing it in stages, then keep the car long-term, it will undoubtedly pay you back; not in resale value so much as the use you will get from it, and pride of ownership. So please don't let me, or anyone else put you off if it's what you really want to do; but please be prepared for the long haul.

What is a Sport Edition in good condition worth in real terms, Chesh, Sony?

Cheers,

T

Last edited by T240; Dec 3rd, 2009 at 05:26.
T240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:09   #34
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post

What is a Sport Edition in good condition worth in real terms, Chesh, Sony?

Cheers,

T
This is a tricky question and to be honest it applies i think to all 940's. The sport has that cachet of a few little trinkets (grille, wheels and spoiler) all told say £250-300ish that if bought as parts would raise the price up so the sport does have a certain premium over the standard models.

But however in my experience of buying a 940 as all are now over 10years old you will have to invest some money into them fixing there foibles.

This is what i've done to my sport since buying it, parts prices only as i do all my own work.
**(will add guestimate Labour charges in brackets)

Front discs & pads and caliper slide pins £100 (£50)
Rear Discs & pads and handbrake shoes £65 (£50)
Polybushed front lower suspension arms £50 (£50)
New Windscreen & wiperblades £90
Heater Matrix £75 (£400)
Clutch Kit £200 (£150)
Heater Valve and Heater hose pipes £65 (£25)
Rear Nivomat shock absorbers £500 (£50)
AirCon Condensor & regas £300 (labour was included in he here)
Headgasket set, water pump, oil cooling pipes, cambelt, aux belts £200 (£250)
Low mileage 2nd hand turbo £75 (including in price of headgasket job)
Full Exhaust from Turbo to Tail including Cat £200 (£50)
Numerous Oil & Filter Changes at £15 a go. (£20)
And just the other day 4 17inch tyres on the Polaris rims. £260

My car is now at a stage where there is nothing to be done to it mechanically, I'd like to buy something else as i fancy a change but my head keeps telling me, where you going to get a car thats as good as this one mechanically seeing as every thing is done and it will last for years and years to come. My MOT man was annoyed as he tried his hardest to fault it somewhere but couldnt.
If someone was to offer me £2k for mine I may be tempted to sell it on and buy something else to tickle my fancy, which no doubt will end up with a long snag list like my 940 had.

So in conclusion i would say a top notch 940 with everything in all good working order is worth in the region of £1500-£2000 deduct off the various costs above if need doing and that'll get you perhaps where you want to be.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:31   #35
Mark480
Loser

Chesh

How long have you owned the car and what tiimescale have you done all those jobs in?

What miles is it?
What tax?
What mot?
Any body work damage?
Put up some pictures, please?

These questions are being asked with a view to buying your car, not just out of noseyness.

It does mean that framfarm's sport would be out the picture and end up being broken though?

He is only 50 miles or so from you, maybe he could be your next project?
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 19:36   #36
Mark480
Loser

Jeez these sports editions are ten a penny!

Here is another one, albeit accident damaged, maroon and auto

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-VOLVO-940...item27ad8d7b6f
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 20:07   #37
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Default Re: Sport Edition values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesh740R View Post
This is a tricky question and to be honest it applies i think to all 940's. The sport has that cachet of a few little trinkets (grille, wheels and spoiler) all told say £250-300ish that if bought as parts would raise the price up so the sport does have a certain premium over the standard models.

But however in my experience of buying a 940 as all are now over 10years old you will have to invest some money into them fixing there foibles.

This is what i've done to my sport since buying it, parts prices only as i do all my own work.
**(will add guestimate Labour charges in brackets)

Front discs & pads and caliper slide pins £100 (£50)
Rear Discs & pads and handbrake shoes £65 (£50)
Polybushed front lower suspension arms £50 (£50)
New Windscreen & wiperblades £90
Heater Matrix £75 (£400)
Clutch Kit £200 (£150)
Heater Valve and Heater hose pipes £65 (£25)
Rear Nivomat shock absorbers £500 (£50)
AirCon Condensor & regas £300 (labour was included in he here)
Headgasket set, water pump, oil cooling pipes, cambelt, aux belts £200 (£250)
Low mileage 2nd hand turbo £75 (including in price of headgasket job)
Full Exhaust from Turbo to Tail including Cat £200 (£50)
Numerous Oil & Filter Changes at £15 a go. (£20)
And just the other day 4 17inch tyres on the Polaris rims. £260

My car is now at a stage where there is nothing to be done to it mechanically, I'd like to buy something else as i fancy a change but my head keeps telling me, where you going to get a car thats as good as this one mechanically seeing as every thing is done and it will last for years and years to come. My MOT man was annoyed as he tried his hardest to fault it somewhere but couldnt.
If someone was to offer me £2k for mine I may be tempted to sell it on and buy something else to tickle my fancy, which no doubt will end up with a long snag list like my 940 had.

So in conclusion i would say a top notch 940 with everything in all good working order is worth in the region of £1500-£2000 deduct off the various costs above if need doing and that'll get you perhaps where you want to be.
Thanks Chesh,

That's very informative. And head should probably rule heart 'cause we all know what a minefield it is. I think you car was in a better state than this one when you started, wasn't it?

It's pretty certain the average buyer wouldn't entertain the idea of £2k for 'an old Volvo' ; but someone from here, knowing the work put in - and having the knowledge it's not going to bite them in the ass for a great wodge of money - would I think. I know I still regret not buying BAY when she was in IH's hands, and near perfect (and a bargain).

But then again, don't we do it for some kind of love as well? I know whatever I look at, nowadays (I really have mellowed), I keep coming back to my 240, and keep buying stuff or adding to the want list for it - even the 960 which is excellent all round, faster more refined, etc. seems tinny and lightweight by comparison - even then, I have a soft spot for it.

I think you'd miss your 940 the way I'd miss my 240 if you parted - the difference is, all the work is done on yours and it's Sweet, mine on the other hand comprises a decent running car and a growing pile of bits to go on, and make something special (hopefully).

Cheers,

T
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 23:26   #38
amaz'in

Hi Mark,

Blimey another! how about that?

Weird thing is, having looked at the pics, is the seats don't seem to be of the 'Ruched' leather type, they look like smooth leather seat's as per a regular 940?

Interesting though, will watch it and see where it ends up.

After buying my Sports, I had the wheels re-finished £188.00 a new Air con Condenser fitted £195.00, tyres to fit the rims etc, so as with any car you need to allow 'more' money than you first envisage as with any project or hobby, no matter what.

I am still amazed that the Black Sports shot up to £400.00 so quickly, with so much needing doing, but if the Red one does well it's good news for us Sports owners

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2009, 23:31   #39
Mark480
Loser

There have only been two bidders on the black one.

I instantly bid on it and kept increasing my bid until the reserve was met at £400. That's about my limit especially as the chance of buying Chesh's has come up. There is still hope of buying both but it's a very long shot and depends on a lot.

I think the maroon one has just had the bits fitted as the seats look wrong, as does the grille?
Old Dec 4th, 2009, 07:52   #40
amaz'in

Mark I think you are correct, it doesnt sit as low as it should either, at least mine is certainly lower.

As you say, wrong Grille too, so looks like it's actually an SE with Galaxy wheels, many SE's had the rear lip spoiler and colour coded mirrors, has it got the glass sunroof as well as the Aircon?

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote