Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to install cruise control

Views : 27322

Replies : 98

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2015, 20:19   #31
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmobhosca View Post
Thanks for the reply Gatos. I had a look last night after I posted here. The brackets for the brake pedal cut off switch is actually there in place already! I've ordered the indicator/light stalk with cruise control switch. Is it just the brake pedal cut out switch I need? Or do I need any other parts? Do you have a guide for installing this in the 1.9D? I'll probably go the route of the main stealer software upgrade.
Can't remember exactly, but I remember that you needed one of the two (or both) brackets for the brake pedal. This is what you should have on the brake pedal

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-05-16 20.15.03.jpg (78.5 KB, 240 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 22:01   #32
asmobhosca

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Can't remember exactly, but I remember that you needed one of the two (or both) brackets for the brake pedal. This is what you should have on the brake pedal

The brackets are on the brake pedal already. All I need out of that photo is the switch.
asmobhosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2015, 22:19   #33
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
The brackets are on the brake pedal already. All I need out of that photo is the switch.
Oh, ok. I found an old photo from my car and what was actually missing was the bracket on the right and the switch. If you want the switch, it is yours for £6 including 1st class postage

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2015, 22:27   #34
asmobhosca

Gatos that's great. I'm in Ireland. Do you want more for postage? I'll pm you my address. You can let me know how you want to be paid.
Old May 16th, 2015, 22:33   #35
asmobhosca

Actually can't send you a pm as I've not enough posts. If you can pm me your email, I'll send you on my address.
Old May 16th, 2015, 22:47   #36
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Gatos that's great. I'm in Ireland. Do you want more for postage? I'll pm you my address. You can let me know how you want to be paid.
Quote:
Actually can't send you a pm as I've not enough posts. If you can pm me your email, I'll send you on my address.
Oh, ok. Call it £7.50 then. Will pm you my details

Nullius in Verba
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 17:43   #37
matevzp

Hi all,

I came across this thread while searching for a possible solution regarding my situation. I drive a 2001 (ph2) 1.6 gasoline S40 (4164S2 engine). I talked to a guy who is selling parts of a 1997 diesel version (not exactly sure, but I think it's a 1.9td version). I was told his volvo has the same cruise control mechanism (with the pump and everything).

I'd love to buy it and build it into mine; however, I am not sure whether there are any possible problems, since mine is a ph2 version of S40.

Second, can anyone confirm there exists a vacuum pump cruise version for the diesel?

Thank you all!

Matev˛
matevzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2015, 18:43   #38
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matevzp View Post
Hi all,

I came across this thread while searching for a possible solution regarding my situation. I drive a 2001 (ph2) 1.6 gasoline S40 (4164S2 engine). I talked to a guy who is selling parts of a 1997 diesel version (not exactly sure, but I think it's a 1.9td version). I was told his volvo has the same cruise control mechanism (with the pump and everything).

I'd love to buy it and build it into mine; however, I am not sure whether there are any possible problems, since mine is a ph2 version of S40.

Second, can anyone confirm there exists a vacuum pump cruise version for the diesel?

Thank you all!

Matev˛
The Phase 1 1.9TD does indeed have the exact same cruise control setup as the rest of the Phase 1 models and the Phase 2 petrol cars (except the GDI). Most components from that car will work except 2 or 3 parts. The indicator stalk with the cruise buttons will be different. The bracket that secures the brake light switch is different between the two phases. And finally, the bracket above the clutch pedal differs slightly from the Phase 2, but you might be able to use it.

I have the spare bits if you need them

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-08 08.23.37.jpg (79.6 KB, 208 views)

Nullius in Verba
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 18:14   #39
matevzp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
The Phase 1 1.9TD does indeed have the exact same cruise control setup as the rest of the Phase 1 models and the Phase 2 petrol cars (except the GDI). Most components from that car will work except 2 or 3 parts. The indicator stalk with the cruise buttons will be different. The bracket that secures the brake light switch is different between the two phases. And finally, the bracket above the clutch pedal differs slightly from the Phase 2, but you might be able to use it.

I have the spare bits if you need them

Gatos, thank you for your quick reply.
Regarding the installation, do I need the sensors on the pedals (for brake and clutch) with the wires or sensors only? I haven't opened up my volvo, since I want to buy all the necessary parts first

If I understand correctly, this is basically all the parts I need (a pic is from one of the previous pages of this thread: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attach...4&d=1366377150), without the metal thing on the sensors (due to the different shape for ph2) and the indicator stalk (due to different design/connector I presume).

Regarding the spare parts, I'll check if I could get it off another ph2 car. Otherwise, could you drop me your contact on private message?
matevzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2015, 21:29   #40
uwefocker

Default s40 cruise control install

hi garys40 read yor post but can't open jpegs can you help or tell me where to veiw these link thanks
uwefocker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uwefocker For This Useful Post: