Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Battery Change

Views : 2705

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2019, 17:04   #1
Petey80
Premier Member

Default V50 Battery Change

Hello all, hope you're all prepared for the upcoming festive season.

I have a query about changing the main battery on my car (details below in my signature).

I've heard mixed things and possible issues when it comes to changing it.

Can you just remove the negative lead, then the positive lead. Take the battery out and put the new in.
Positive lead on, then negative lead on.

Or, do you have to have the key in position 1 whilst you remove and replace the battery, then turn to position 2/3?

I've read of people not being able to start the car after changing the battery and needing Volvo to fix the issue.

Pretty sure mine is factory so over 9 years old and see headlights flicker when setting off at lights, the radio turned off and back on again the other day.
Yesterday someone behind me said my rear lights dimmed when I was going round a round-a-bout.

The owners manual states a straightforward removal and replace, but Vida mentions key in position 1.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 17:06   #2
Petey80
Premier Member

Testing the battery with a multimeter showed 12.3v when not running, then 14.odd when running.

I used Vida to check all the battery options in the CEM, but everything looked spot on.

Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 20:03   #3
v50t5sesport

12.3 is low, and over 14 is normal when charging, so I would guess the battery is goosed. I have had the battery on and off my car a few times, never left the ignition key in, just disconnected the battery. Bit of a pain as you have to remove the strut bar accross the engine 1st before you can get the cover off the top of the battery
v50t5sesport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v50t5sesport For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 20:15   #4
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Testing the battery with a multimeter showed 12.3v when not running, then 14.odd when running.

I used Vida to check all the battery options in the CEM, but everything looked spot on.

12.3 when cold isn't necessarily a bad battery, but it is at least 50% discharged (rule of thumb without a load test). If the car cranks powerfully, then I'd not be worried about battery.

When driving the cars electrics will be all running off the alternator. If your lights are dimming and getting power fluctuating when engine is running, it sounds like a different electrical fault, maybe relating to bad contact somewhere or a failing alternator. If the alternator is going this could also be why your battery is low. Id get it checked by an auto electrician before forking out for a new battery.

Also, how is your auxiliary belt looking? a slipping belt or bad tensioner could affect alternator performance....

Summary...
>Get a load test done to properly check health of battery.
>If good, check aux belt
>If good, check alternator and contacts...

Also, when changing battrryy, no special magic. Leave car off for 30 mins. Disconnect battrry. Connect new one. Make sure you DONT hsve keys in ignotion and car has been standing for 30 mins before disconnecting battery.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 10:40   #5
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50t5sesport View Post
12.3 is low, and over 14 is normal when charging, so I would guess the battery is goosed. I have had the battery on and off my car a few times, never left the ignition key in, just disconnected the battery. Bit of a pain as you have to remove the strut bar accross the engine 1st before you can get the cover off the top of the battery
That's what I thought as previous research showed 12.6v to be ideal and below 12.4 for the battery to be on the way out.

Think I'll leave the key out then. Yes, the strut brace does get in the way of a few items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
12.3 when cold isn't necessarily a bad battery, but it is at least 50% discharged (rule of thumb without a load test). If the car cranks powerfully, then I'd not be worried about battery.

When driving the cars electrics will be all running off the alternator. If your lights are dimming and getting power fluctuating when engine is running, it sounds like a different electrical fault, maybe relating to bad contact somewhere or a failing alternator. If the alternator is going this could also be why your battery is low. Id get it checked by an auto electrician before forking out for a new battery.

Also, how is your auxiliary belt looking? a slipping belt or bad tensioner could affect alternator performance....

Summary...
>Get a load test done to properly check health of battery.
>If good, check aux belt
>If good, check alternator and contacts...

Also, when changing battery, no special magic. Leave car off for 30 mins. Disconnect battery. Connect new one. Make sure you DONT have keys in ignition and car has been standing for 30 mins before disconnecting battery.
The car cranks the same as it has done since I've owned it. I did think the cold might lower voltage a little, but was concerned about 12.3v

AUX belt is pretty much brand new, just changed it and the tensioner at 115,583 miles - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=568 and now currently on about 124,500 miles or so.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get those things checked out.

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:14   #6
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

REF battery voltage when off - 12.6 "ideal" refers to actual voltage measured on battery or after the system?
My FM transmitter in 12v lighter plug show me voltage before it starts up and after night its usually around 12.1 / 12.2 but it was like that almost always. I think its still within normal as battery is only 4y old and car cranks like crazy... ?

EDIT - sorry, forgot to chip in ref your actual question - I removed battery on mine atleast dozen times, key was always OUT of ignition, no issues ever. But for 1.6D it may be different , is it PSA engine or actual Volvo one?

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Dec 16th, 2019 at 11:19.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:29   #7
Welton
Premier Member

My experience of changing the battery myself:

Lower drivers window (in case the whole job turns into a nightmare and you can't get in the car).
Remove key from ignition.
WAIT until the CEM etc goes to sleep (get cuppa tea etc wait maybe 10 mins to be sure).
Disconnect earth lead first....reconnect last.

The only things that changed upon powering-up were some of the Audio settings and I also had to teach the windows where to stop again on the one-touch setting.

Oh and don't be a spanner and leave the new battery in the boot like I did, once I'd disconnected the old battery I couldn't get in the boot...had to lower the back seats and climb through.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 11:50   #8
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
REF battery voltage when off - 12.6 "ideal" refers to actual voltage measured on battery or after the system?
My FM transmitter in 12v lighter plug show me voltage before it starts up and after night its usually around 12.1 / 12.2 but it was like that almost always. I think its still within normal as battery is only 4y old and car cranks like crazy... ?

EDIT - sorry, forgot to chip in ref your actual question - I removed battery on mine atleast dozen times, key was always OUT of ignition, no issues ever. But for 1.6D it may be different , is it PSA engine or actual Volvo one?
12.6 directly on the battery terminals with a multimeter I think I found when I was looking. Engine off and car having been sat for a while/all night.

This was a reading from a while ago with the engine off;

Then running
20180824_161527 by Pedro Fawcettio, on Flickr

And it was a while ago. Think I'll check both again tonight after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
My experience of changing the battery myself:

Lower drivers window (in case the whole job turns into a nightmare and you can't get in the car).
Remove key from ignition.
WAIT until the CEM etc goes to sleep (get cuppa tea etc wait maybe 10 mins to be sure).
Disconnect earth lead first....reconnect last.

The only things that changed upon powering-up were some of the Audio settings and I also had to teach the windows where to stop again on the one-touch setting.

Oh and don't be a spanner and leave the new battery in the boot like I did, once I'd disconnected the old battery I couldn't get in the boot...had to lower the back seats and climb through.
Thanks for confirming that. Yeah, I'm expecting to have to reset the clock and all the radio settings etc.

I'll be leaving the doors open when I do it, just in case.

The Following User Says Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 22:46   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

when you have it all done and are about to turn the key to see its all ok
do NOT lean in the windowand stick your arm between the wheel to turn the key
Arm clear of the Airbag on the steering wheel, for the first turn.
DO wait the time (10-15mins to be sure) between OFF and disconnecting anything,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post: