Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26398

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2019, 22:26   #21
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I really ought to do mine too... ('61 reg Exec)

Maybe when I get back to UK, and have a wash and valet to remove 6 months worth of Spanish dust, I could get it done.

Loving the ownership blog, keep it going.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 16:04   #22
Odysseus

The challenge of the missing door washer continues. An annoyance is the part I found online for a fiver isn't compatible with an XC90.

I just got off the phone with the parts department of the Volvo dealership in Cambridge for the "Door lock pin bushing".

Volvo main dealer = £9.00
Scrap merchant = £12.50
eBay = £13.85

So in conclusion Volvo is the cheapest option, but I'm still balking at spending nine quid on a plastic circle so I think I'll live without it for a while.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 16:33   #23
4x4
I roll

Buy the beige ones at £2.99 and spray them black, nobody will ever know
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 16:50   #24
BilboBagginss

Default Door pin trim

Get yourself some stainless washers!
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BilboBagginss For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 17:15   #25
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

As you are in Cambridgeshire you could try http://www.lakes4volvo.co.uk/

They may have an XC90 that you can salvage these from.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 16:46   #26
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
As you are in Cambridgeshire you could try http://www.lakes4volvo.co.uk/

They may have an XC90 that you can salvage these from.
Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate your help. They are actually just down the road from me and I used them a few years back when I had a S80. That said, my last encounter with them left a bit of a sour taste in the mouth and I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back there, even though I'm sure you're probably right about them having the part.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 17:09   #27
Odysseus

Today I was "working from home" and convinced the wife to take the Lexus leaving me the XC90 to play with.

On my list for today was to update the navigation with the new discs that arrived earlier in the week, and maybe a quick wash.

Diligently, I prepared everything in advance including hooking the car up to my new battery conditioner to keep it topped up during the lengthy navigation update.

Everything started off promisingly enough.

It suggested a completion time of 310 minutes(!). I duly set my alarm and resumed working hard at my laptop (that is to say I pottered around the garage).

Unfortunately, and despite several attempts characterised by blowing on the disc, turning it off and on again, colourful language, and direct threats, it would not progress beyond 130 minutes remaining without throwing this error.

I contacted the eBay seller who supplied the discs and he's sending me some more. Very responsive of him but annoying all the same. Here's hoping the new discs work better. Luckily the navigation is still usable but it's going to annoy me until it's fixed.

I did take the opportunity however to give the car a good wash. I did all of the usual anally retentive car wash nerd things of wheel wash first, snowfoam top to bottom, wool mitt wash with two buckets, then iron remover, then tar remover, then clay mitt, then another wash, then drying before applying some Aerospace 303 on the black plastics, cleaning the glass and then some quick detailing spray on the body on account I was too knackered by that point to even contemplate polishing the gigantic thing.

It came up looking good however. Not bad for nearly 184,000 miles.

The next tasks are to finish the navigation update with the new discs matey should be sending today, and once the V5 arrives, assign my wife's private plate to the car which will be nice.

I'm still minded to at least check the auto gearbox fluid. Does anyone know how to do this on a 2012 XC90? My 2005 S80 had a dipstick for the gearbox but I can see no such thing on the XC90.

As always thanks for looking.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 17:49   #28
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Very nice! I am jealous....

Your battery charger, at only 1.5A, is however very small.

When updating the maps on mine I used a 5A charger, and turned off everything unnecessary such as interior lights, climate control, radio, and set the illumination to minimum to reduce power drain.

The car does draw more than 5A with the key in POS1 so my charger helped to offset the power drain but didn't offset it 100%

I now have a CTEK Battery Sense so am gathering data on my battery in real time, 24x7 (see my other thread.... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292618)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 10:09   #29
Odysseus

Thanks Swiss, your knowledge of these matters is really impressive.

I didn’t suffer any ill effects as a result of the battery being consumed but I’ll keep your insights in mind when I do the next upgrade.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 15:25   #30
revaido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Thanks Swiss, your knowledge of these matters is really impressive.

I didn’t suffer any ill effects as a result of the battery being consumed but I’ll keep your insights in mind when I do the next upgrade.
A great buy and a very good looking combo on the drive

A silly question but are the disks you're trying to upgrade from original pressed disks or copies, ie DVD-R DL?

Mine is a 2012 and was very picky about the disk and took a few attempts.

I find for the seats the Dr Leather products work very well in the Volvo and once sorted like yours are now the wipes are good for maintaining them.
revaido is offline   Reply With Quote