Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SWM no signal

Views : 3716

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2019, 11:51   #1
DrJones

Default SWM no signal

hey guys,

i am from Germany and hope i can find some help here. Im having a XC90 from 2007 (with facelift).

It all started with time to time failures of the turn indicator. I pressed the switch down but there was no sound and no lights. Next time, it worked again.

Since a month, all functions related to the SWM do not work (turn indicators, beam light, multi functions controls, cruise functions, wiper only in one speed, etc.). I checked it with VIDA, got CEM-DDxxx Codes which says no signal from Steering Wheel Module (SWM). I replaced it with a used one from ebay. I went to the dealer to do SAS and SWM reload. I still recieve following codes:

CEM-DD41 Communication with SWM - no communication
CEM-DD50 Communication with SWM - no signal
CEM-DD51 Communication with SWM - no signal
DEM-DD52 Communication with SWM - no signal
ECM-928C Cruise Control - faulty signal

Is there a possibility to check the SWM in VIDA? Maybe the replacement one is also faulty. Next thing is, maybe the plugs.

I want to check all possibilities before sending the CEM to repair. I heard that all XC90 are having problems with the CEM due to water coming in. However, this should be fixed within the facelift upgrade.

Hope to hear from you guys soon and thanks in advance.

Bests, Jonas
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 14:37   #2
paddy74

Besides all DTCs, have you "cleaned" the turn indicator and wiper lever? These are easy to pull out and often only need a good clean.

Next would be to check the battery. Batteries at the end of their life cycle tend to do mysterious things in our cars.

If these are ok, I'd take the next step by cleaning the contacts (CEM and fuse box(es).
The Following User Says Thank You to paddy74 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 15:13   #3
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
Besides all DTCs, have you "cleaned" the turn indicator and wiper lever? These are easy to pull out and often only need a good clean.
+1

I had the same issue on my XC70 and this was the fix for me that I found on youtube.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 05:48   #4
Chilly

I had problems with the indicator even with a brand new indicator stalk. The problem in my case was in the wiper stalk. Gave it a good clean inside on the glide connection plates. After that it worked perfect.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 10:54   #5
DrJones

Hey guys, many thanks to all of you for your responses!

Wiper/Indicator Cleaning: This was the first thing I did (Indicator Switch), I also opened it and cleaned the contacts inside. The ne SWM i bought was with two new (used) switches, one for the indicator and one for the wiper. After replacement, it also did not work. However, they are used, and i think i will try this again!

Battery: Good hint. Battery should be changed before this winter anyway!

CEM: Today i will remove the CEM and look for corrosion and clean all contacts. Hope there will be some change, then i know its the CEM!

(I also got some signal issues with the PDC and already changed all sensors. Maybe it also comes from the CEM)

I will write you an update after the works explained.

Bests, Jonas

Last edited by DrJones; Nov 1st, 2019 at 11:01.
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 12:43   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
(I also got some signal issues with the PDC and already changed all sensors. Maybe it also comes from the CEM)
You are throwing parts at it without a proper diagnosis.
VIDA would tell you exactly how the PDC system works, and you can see which of the sensors is not working, and thus only need to buy one sensor

VIDA will show you clearly that the CEM has nothing to do with the PDC
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2019, 19:03   #7
DrJones

Hey guys,

regarding the PDC: I changed the sensor about one year ago. At that time i did not had VIDA. However, this is off topic.

Today i did cleaned all 4 switches (the old ones from me + the two used i bought). Then i refitted with all possible options of the 4 switches, no changes. So i think it is not a Switch.

I then removed the CEM. All contacts looked good. However, on the top was a lot of dust. I then cleaned the CEM on the top an sprayed contact spray on all contacts + cleaned them with a small brush. After reassembling, there was no change.

Tomorrow i will buy a new battery which is anyway neccessery since the current one has a low voltage.

If that will not leed to any change, then I will buy new /let repair the current CEM.

Looking forward to your responses!

Jonas
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 18:04   #8
DrJones

Hey all,

i had in mind that the battery is already weak and needs to be changed. Today I checked it again after driving and then leaving the volvo for some hours. The battery still had 12,57 V. However, i dont know how old this battery is.

Can i do anything else before sending the CEM to repair?

Bests, Jonas
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 15:43   #9
DrJones

Hey guys, i changed the volvo dealer and the mechanic found the problem: it was the cruise control switch which interferred the signal.

A tip from him: detach single parts from the SWM and then check the function. It is always one part which is interrupting the signal. So for example detach the indicator switch and try again. If still not working, detach the wiper and check. And so on. With this workflow, you can first check all parts and then see which one is broken.

VIDA will always just tell you that there is a problem within the LIN BUS system.

kind regards,
Jonas
Old Dec 13th, 2019, 16:08   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The tip you got is standard fault finding process
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cem, swm, xc90