Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Goodbye V60

Views : 2732

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 23:17   #1
markwar4
V60 D5 AWD R Design

Default Goodbye V60

My V60 is going Monday.

My view

Positives

Lovely car to drive

Negatives

Ridiculous Depreciation
Poor Fuel Economy
Dreadful Customer Service

Sorry but my Volvo experience has not been a good one.
markwar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 23:57   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

How does the depreciation compare to any other similar vehicle? I would assume not much difference?

If you buy a perminant 4 wheel drive vehicle with 5 cylinders you aint going to get great economy, surely that stands to reason?? It was obviously your choice in the first place? I bought a T5 but I didn't buy one then complain about the lack of economy? Why didn't you buy a FWD version and a smaller engine with less cylinders?

Customer service is down to individual dealers, there are many dealers that give good service as well as those that give bad? It doesn't matter what you buy or where you go, McDonald is no different? Some good some bad?

Sorry to hear you've not had a good experience but not so sure it would be so much better with other manufacturers either, good luck with your next car though.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 08:57   #3
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
How does the depreciation compare to any other similar vehicle? I would assume not much difference?

If you buy a perminant 4 wheel drive vehicle with 5 cylinders you aint going to get great economy, surely that stands to reason?? It was obviously your choice in the first place? I bought a T5 but I didn't buy one then complain about the lack of economy? Why didn't you buy a FWD version and a smaller engine with less cylinders?

Customer service is down to individual dealers, there are many dealers that give good service as well as those that give bad? It doesn't matter what you buy or where you go, McDonald is no different? Some good some bad?

Sorry to hear you've not had a good experience but not so sure it would be so much better with other manufacturers either, good luck with your next car though.

Agree with your comments apart from depreciation. This is much worse on current Volvo's than any other car I have owned (since the 1960's ), I put it down to the current heavy discounting of new Volvo cars.
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:30   #4
V60 Drive

The V60's must have been heavily discounted - OK if you achieved that discount, but for those that didn't then it must be painful. Mine is on the 18 month lease deal, and if you assume a moderate charge for the finance costs against the list price that actually leaves very little for the capital / depreciation costs. Common sense tells me that the lease company are making money, so that car was massively discounted.

Not used the customer service element yet, but first service is soon due, and the local dealer is known to be crap, so already not looking forward to that.

Having run new Audi's in the past I will have a good benchmark to compare against in the service department, and they set my expectations quite high.

V60 DRIVe MY12 Passion Red
V60 Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:56   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

MRG Volvo in Bath are very much recommended by a lot of people on here, this can't be too far from you and may be worth the day out?

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 15:40   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post

Not according to Volvo - they seem to think an AWD XC60 D5 will do 44mpg round town...lol....We all know official figures are optimistic, although what annoys a lot of Volvo owners is HOW optimistic they appear to be..!!

FWD versions with less cylinders and smaller engines are still far far far wide of the official figures..!! Nowhere near the official 65+ combined.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 17:19   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I concur VR, but surely common sense kicks in and you have a laugh and chuckle at the published figures that were supposidly obtained uner 'Perfect Conditions' (probably constant downhill). Common sense with a touch of the good old addage of 'never believe everything you read'.

It is hard enough getting a 2.0 Diesel 4 cylinder FWD small car to make 44mpg let alone a 2 ton perminent AWD 5 cylinder 2.4 Diesel with lower gear ratios??

It is ablout time ALL manufacturers were made to publish 'REAL LIFE' economy figures for their vehicles.

The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 17:30   #8
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

I doubt the Krauts would allow that it is well known some of their tests have engines purely tailored to get low emissions etc. to make them look economical.

I do not think it is just Volvo these days I mean the twin air of Fiat is something like 80 MPG most test found 60-70 at best.

It will be interesting to see what the EU Commission are going to do in regards to this following their recent interest in this.

I do find one point unfair though that the Commission brought up that vehicles were at operating temperature, I think that is not a unfair thing to do as doing it at cold or partially warm is not the way to measure it considering the engine is clearly going to be injecting more fuel during that sequence up until operating temperature.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ninja59 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 17:42   #9
Birmint

I think the whole industry testing process needs looking at it. When they've finished with the banks and the current horse meat nonsense I reckon it will be next on the list for a parliamentary working party review!!

I've done 4k miles since getting my geartronic Polestar V60 D5 and getting 34mpg through a mixture of fast motorway work and inner London traffic. Its fine and wasn't bought as an eco car. You can eeek a bit more out if you are careful.

However I also have a couple of other cars including a Fiat 500 twinair and whilst currently benefit from not paying the congestion charge driving to work most days because its exempt the lifetime MPG average since I bought it nearly 2 years ago is a oil tanker busting 26mpg!! I tend to switch off the stop/start and the average speed is about walk pace ... But a massive gap from what Fiat thinks it should do.
Birmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 17:49   #10
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Holy cow, although it does prove in a town environment cars are sh*te, 26MPG.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote