Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Changing Active Dual Xenon bulbs

Views : 408

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2024, 18:20   #1
Five Pot Hero

Default Changing Active Dual Xenon bulbs

Hello, 2010MY XC60 owner here,

Our car has the Dual Xenon setup. I believe these might be the Active units, too? It's not completely clear in the manual, but it seems to suggest you either have halogen or you have everything - xenon, active etc...

Anyway. I've noticed in recent months that the headlamps have lost some of their brightness, particularly the dipped beam, and I understand that this happens to xenons over time. When referring to the manual, it says xenon 'lamps' must only be changed in a workshop due to their high voltage. Does this mean the bulbs? Therefore, is it easy to change the xenon bulbs? I've only changed halogen ones until now. Does anyone have any experience of this and is it all easy and nothing to worry about?

Many thanks in advance.
Five Pot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 19:07   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

easy to change but if you are worried just wear some rubber gloves i did ours on the kitchen table with no problem.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 20:33   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If you have a "lux" model you will have xenon lamps.

You can change them at home, it's relatively easy, switch of the ignition and remove the key, by the time you get the bonnet open and a headlamp out it will be fine.

FYI the Xenon lamps run at only 70v-80v, however an initial "strike" voltage of many thousands of volts if used to start them, and if they go out whilst in use, the ballast will try to re-strike them. This is why you shouldn't remove the bulbs with power applied.

And yes Xenon lamps start to dim from day 1 - so replacing old ones usually gives a great improvement. I would recommend standard or upgrade Philips or Osram lamps from www.powerbulbs.com. Avoid any and all cheap lamps on Amazon/E-bay, do not go above 5000k colour temperature as it just makes them difficult to see things by.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 16:01   #4
janusz

It's a D1S bulb type (with square box attached at the bottom).
As mentioned, bulb replacement is quick and easy. I did it myself multiple times as I tried to find the best performing bulb. I always disconnected the battery though to avoid errors on the onboard computer (make sure you disconnect the battery in the correct way). entire job end to end 10 mins.
in my experience Phillips bulbs looked tad brighter mainly because of the light colour but whether you get above or Osram - I think you will be pleased.
Do not buy bulbs from eBay or 3rd party sellers at Amazon - lots of counterfeit products in the market.
I bought mine from Amazon UK (seller).

cheers
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 22:00   #5
uniqueue

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
It's a D1S bulb type (with square box attached at the bottom).
As mentioned, bulb replacement is quick and easy. I did it myself multiple times as I tried to find the best performing bulb. I always disconnected the battery though to avoid errors on the onboard computer (make sure you disconnect the battery in the correct way). entire job end to end 10 mins.
in my experience Phillips bulbs looked tad brighter mainly because of the light colour but whether you get above or Osram - I think you will be pleased.
Do not buy bulbs from eBay or 3rd party sellers at Amazon - lots of counterfeit products in the market.
I bought mine from Amazon UK (seller).

cheers
On my 2013 facelift they are D3S bulbs - despite what several of the search engines inc powerbulbs tried to tell me !!worth a look before ordering
uniqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 13:59   #6
mkusan

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueue View Post
On my 2013 facelift they are D3S bulbs - despite what several of the search engines inc powerbulbs tried to tell me !!worth a look before ordering
Same for my 2011, D3S.
mkusan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulbs, headlamp, headlight, xc60, xenon