Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Day Running Lights (DRL)

Views : 12654

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 09:46   #1
Jay

Question XC90 Day Running Lights (DRL)

Can someone confirm to me that Volvo's are also one of the only manufactures to run the full lighting system rather then just DRL with LED technology.

I have just ordered a XC90 SE Lux and requested that the DRL is switched off so i have the flexibilty to control the lighting altough DRL might be mandotory soon in the UK for cars manufactured after 2011.

Any comments appreciated.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:26   #2
Jay

Smile

No need to respond back to my question.

My conversation with Volvo Techinical dept. confirmed to me that the DRL is the same as full dipped lights i.e. DRL is the normal night lighting so there is no special lighting for DRL or use LED techmology.

The above is the same for both normal and xenon lights the only difference is that the xenon has sensors to adjust to different loads.

I definately made the right choice by switching off the DRL and now have the option to switch on and will save on the cost of running lights i.e. wear & tear, fuel and the extra stress on the alternator.

If DRL become law in the UK then Volvo Uk will have to introduce LED with lower power lights simialr to Audi motors
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:57   #3
Grrove Machine

Just dropped my XC90 off at the dealer this morning for work on wet floor and asked about turning off the DLRL and they quoted £70 - £80!!!

Is it me or is this a tad excessive!!

My DLRL have caused the light covers to start to haze!

Any knowledge of a good indy in Staffordshire/West Midlands who could do this job at a more reasonable rate??

Ta
Grrove Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:11   #4
Jay

Grove Machine - very very expensive.

I think it should be offered free if you're already having work done on your car. It is a matter of plugging the car on the pc for software download but i do know most Volvo dealerships charge approx £30-£35.

I am very surprised that Volvo still run the DRL on full dipped beam i.e. the normal lighting. I hope they start introducing LED lights for the DRL which is more efficient and should outlast the car. You can buy aftermarket kit for DRL.

Why would anyone want to have their car run on a full lighting system day or night better to have flexibility.

Don't pay £70 haggle with them you will be surprised what you can get
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:19   #5
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

If DRL become law in the UK then Volvo Uk will have to introduce LED with lower power lights simialr to Audi motors
DRL's will be mandatory in the UK for ALL new cars as follows:

“However, from early 2011, all new types of passenger cars and light vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in accordance with the relevant European directive.

"By summer 2012 all new vehicle types will have to be so fitted.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrove Machine View Post
Just dropped my XC90 off at the dealer this morning for work on wet floor and asked about turning off the DLRL and they quoted £70 - £80!!!

Is it me or is this a tad excessive!!

My DLRL have caused the light covers to start to haze!

Any knowledge of a good indy in Staffordshire/West Midlands who could do this job at a more reasonable rate??

Ta
They are quoting a 3/4hr rate by the sound of it, for a job that should take no more than 15 mins....

Unfortunately you do need to vonnect your car to the VADIS computer system, however for that charge, are there any other "tweaks" that you want doing, which should be encompassed in the same charge?? Such as auto locking etc??

I personally would like to have my Xenons turned off, leaving the DRL's on, but not sure if this is possible - I am certainly replacing my 501 bulbs with LED's as they don't last 5 mins before blacking and burning out, esp the side markers and No plate light ones...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:40   #6
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
DRL's will be mandatory in the UK for ALL new cars as follows:

“However, from early 2011, all new types of passenger cars and light vans will have to be fitted with dedicated daytime running lamps in accordance with the relevant European directive.

"By summer 2012 all new vehicle types will have to be so fitted.”

They are quoting a 3/4hr rate by the sound of it, for a job that should take no more than 15 mins....

Unfortunately you do need to vonnect your car to the VADIS computer system, however for that charge, are there any other "tweaks" that you want doing, which should be encompassed in the same charge?? Such as auto locking etc??

I personally would like to have my Xenons turned off, leaving the DRL's on, but not sure if this is possible - I am certainly replacing my 501 bulbs with LED's as they don't last 5 mins before blacking and burning out, esp the side markers and No plate light ones...

Mike
Mike - i spoke with Volvo Technical dept. today.

The xenon lights are the DRL - it is the same. however you can have them turned off and run the car with the parking lights but not sure if the rear lights stay.

DRL is only a wording that Volvo use - it is the SAME AS FULL DIPPED LIGHTS - real DRL should have LED TECHNOLOGY and not use REAR LIGHTS or NUMBER PLATE LIGHT.

Everyone is being fooled with Volvo DRL. It is the same as running the car with normal night lights. I think it is a gimmick. Audi & the new Porsche uses DRL with LED technology.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:43   #7
Jay

Mike - what is the 501 bulbs
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:50   #8
Jay

This is an extract from a website ...

Using normal headlamps including xenons for DRL is an incorrect application. Headlamps are designed for seeing with. To allow a vehicle to be seen, dedicated non-glaring long life lamps such as Light Emitting Diodes (LED) should have been used.

Volvo use normal full dipped lights as DRL.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 13:01   #9
GSMGuy
Master Member

Jay,

501's are the capless 5w bulbs, fitted to the "side" lights, orange markers and numberplate lights.

They run quite hot for a 5w bulb, prob due to the small size of the glass envelope, and therefore don't last long at all, esp when on full time...

I don't think Volvo are conning people with DRL, at the end of the day, they had the lights on long before everyone else, and the others are doing it now because they have to from 2011!

Ideally I'm fitting something like this

Into the side lights, and smaller versions into the marker and numberplate lamps, simply because I'm fed up of changing them.... Have prob gone through a dozen 501's in 2 years of ownership, and noticed last night that one more No plate lamp is out, and the other is very dim, along with a side marker out too..... I MAY try LED's in the stop /tail too, but will prob have to fit load resistors, which although it stops the bulb failure alarm, it sort of negates the energy saving....

Funnily enough, not had to replace any tail lights, so it must be that the 501's run too hot...

Mike

Last edited by GSMGuy; Jul 2nd, 2009 at 13:05.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 13:06   #10
GSMGuy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is an extract from a website ...

To allow a vehicle to be seen, dedicated non-glaring long life lamps such as Light Emitting Diodes (LED) should have been used.
I'd hardly call Audi's LED's non glaring!!!

Mike