Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance Quote

Views : 2616

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2010, 21:49   #21
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwilliam View Post
I can't understand some of the prices you're being quoted!
Maybe it's to do with where you live?

I've just quoted the following car on Confused.com - I might be buying it at the weekend.

The prices quoted are for me and the wife, ages 36 & 33 with 6 years no claims. The car is stored on a driveway or garage in York.
Car value - £29995

Your vehicle:
Volvo Xc90 R-Design Se D5 Awd 2010- 2400cc 5 Door Estate Automatic Diesel

LVE - £423.08
Nationwide - £448.74
Admiral - £505.25
Elephant - £507.35

etc etc right down the highest quote of, wait for it!.... £3759.98!!!
lets just hope that it hasn't got factory/aftermarket tints or any other accessory that insurers make you declare and then take the mick with an additional premium. my base premium with Direct Line was about £400, but by the time they had added optional 19" wheels, tinted rear windows (factory fitted extra) and running boards it had taken the price to over £600. they are taking the p155.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:19   #22
artwilliam

Surely factory fitted extras do not count. I have rear tints and running boards fitted to my current car and haven't told my insurer. Engine mods yes. 20" aftermarket rims yes but not a Volvo part that can be fitted at the factory?

I've never heard of anyone having to declare such things - where do you stop? Do the ventilated seats need a mention? What about a premium sound system? Rear seat entertainment?

I'd be interested to hear other members points of view.
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:59   #23
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwilliam View Post
Surely factory fitted extras do not count. I have rear tints and running boards fitted to my current car and haven't told my insurer. Engine mods yes. 20" aftermarket rims yes but not a Volvo part that can be fitted at the factory?

I've never heard of anyone having to declare such things - where do you stop? Do the ventilated seats need a mention? What about a premium sound system? Rear seat entertainment?

I'd be interested to hear other members points of view.
I completely agree! Do you have to tell them that you have a hands free kit fitted or luxury car mats? What about a cigarette lighter in the 12v socket, now there's a risk!!! LOL the world has gone mad.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 10:57   #24
owenfackrell
Premier Member

My insurer asks if there is any mods to the engine, wheels, bodywork or entertaniment system. I told them that i have a DVD fitted (by Peter) and it is listed on the car but didn't make any changes to the preimium as its under £1000 pounds worth. The thing is on a second hand car how do you know what is standard and what was an option when the car was new. Manufactures change the spec from year to year iin some cases with in the regerstation plate (ie. 04).
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:03   #25
artwilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
My insurer asks if there is any mods to the engine, wheels, bodywork or entertaniment system. I told them that i have a DVD fitted (by Peter) and it is listed on the car but didn't make any changes to the preimium as its under £1000 pounds worth. The thing is on a second hand car how do you know what is standard and what was an option when the car was new. Manufactures change the spec from year to year iin some cases with in the regerstation plate (ie. 04).
Totally - this is what I'd always thought.

Stu4 - I think direct line have been pretty harsh on you!
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 15:39   #26
BestGear
Master Member

...just remember, that come claim time, the insurer can request the build spec of any car from the manufacturer and that will show what it left the factory with.

BTW - if you dont have a copy of your build spec, ask your dealer for it the next time you are in!

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 16:13   #27
XCF
Master Member

I've found many insurance companies I've dealt with consider dealer fitted parts part of the base car build - no idea if Volvo hold that sort of information centrally ?

Swiftcover seem to have quite a sensible policy on extras...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.7 KB, 20 views)
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 16:29   #28
lordlichfield

I would suggest not buying on price alone. There are companies out there who may be more expensive but will be less hassle to deal with in the event of a claim. My house insurance is with Hiscox rather than a run of the mill company and I had to make a claim last year. It was handled brilliantly well.

Trying to get the cheapest quote may end up costing you more than the difference if you have to make a claim. I do not buy car insurance on price either - I prefer to check out what the companies are like with claims first.
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 16:31   #29
owenfackrell
Premier Member

See the swift cover policy seems sensable as it covers most factory fit options.
I don't take my car to dealers and on our other car its now 12 years old so would never go to a dealer as it just wouldnt be worth it. I have no idea what if any thing has been change from its orginal spec. as far as i can tell its original but knowing renault i would have to pay to find out.
I think most insurance compines are only really intreasted in the things that would make your car more likley to be stolen or be involved in an accident or costly to fix (ie non standard body parts).
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2010, 10:06   #30
XC60KEV
Master Member

Most insurers are only concerned with mods that change the performance or the asthetics of a car which would increase the risk of theft. e.g. in the 80's & 90's a lot of standard fiesta's had the pepper pot alloys. spoilers etc fitted which in effect made them appear like and XR2 which were group 17 if I recall but the standard fiesta was only group 4 thus they were more widely stollen, same as the old vauxhall nova's -easily modified.

If your car does have lots of mods and to avoid any doubt I would always let the insurer know and keep receipts for the mods as if stollen or a complete write off you will need to prove you had them and their value so you can get the true value and not just glasses guide price which they use to value the vehicle.