Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Insurance Quote

Views : 2614

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 20th, 2010, 14:55   #11
ChrisKnott
VOC Insurance

We'd be happy to see if we can help you bring down the cost through the club scheme :-)

How to... SAVE THE MOST MONEY on your car insurance.
Call 0800 023 4374 (or 01424 205077 - cheaper for mobiles).
Check out our online magazine - Cover Story
ChrisKnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 20:32   #12
Beavis
Premier Member

i renewed in July. i tried Volvo Insurance (Royal Sun Alliance) and was told they wouldn't insure my XC90 as too high risk!! its an executive - group 17 (unmodified). but they will insure my group 17 S60 T5.

i'm 29 with 11 years no claims and no penalties/points.

Come on Volvo get your act into gear and insure you own cars.

Went with Aviva in the end on the XC90.

(just sold the T5 and changed for a classic Porsche, and the insurance bill dropped by 60%. Classic cars for me for now on.)

Last edited by Beavis; Oct 20th, 2010 at 20:35.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 21:33   #13
minimow151

I went with Volvo Insurance (Royal Suna Alliance) in the end.

43, no claims or points.
Wife 45 no cliams but 3 points this year.
12,000 miles a year

XC90 Executive 2010.

£530
minimow151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 21:51   #14
400-ascona
Premier Member

It all depends very much on where you live (post code). If you live in Aberdeen, you would be able to insure it for less than £200 (crime figures low). In Derby it costs me £345 (39, no claims, no points). When I was looking to buy the XC, it was cheaper to insure a petrol than a diesel. When insuring my other car (classic policy, group 20+), I was paying £435 agreed value, but I am now paying £213 agreed value. This was as a result of the Autobahnstotmers club offering to promote a particular company, who in return offered a good discount.
The only thing you can do is invest the time in shopping around, and find the best value for your circumstances. I also get the impression that companies go through cycles, offering good discounts one year to increase their customer base, and then going for the kill on the second year!
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 21:32   #15
ex Triumph Man

400-Ascona is absolutely correct. Where you live, and I suppose your age too are all taken in to account.

I have just gone through Direct Line, OK so I insure wife's car and house/contents with them and insured my 2011 XC90 D5 (185) for circa £225Having Tracker makes no difference either.

Volvo Insurance wanted over £330. Guess where I went.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 13:38   #16
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimow151 View Post
Just had a quote for my XC90 Exc from Lloyds and it has increased by about 40%. Any suggestions on good prices from other companies?
I recieved my new insuranec qute from Direct line last week. My premium had shot up from 501 quid to 880.00.. Blimey !!!

I tried all the recommened sites on this forum and got nothing better.
I am 42, have an R design SE premium 2009 plate. 8 yrs no claims bonus. with a tuning box connected. I called them and asked for an explaination as I felt it was unjustifiable. They went though the usual nonsence about every one's premiums going up.blah blah blah. The bloke then suggested I could incraese my excess. I asked him how much it was ta present, and he said £650. Blistering barnacles !!! it was £250. the last time I remeber.!!!!! WTF is going on.! I can honestly see why there are so many uninsured drivers. !! With all the constant snooping/electronic tagging/ gadgetry around, surely they can remove the unisured drivers from the road rather use this as an explanation for honest carefull drivers having to pay through the nose... I have always thought that insurance is LEGALISED ROBBERY !!!!

Basically,It is a case of Hobson's choice !!!!!

By incresing my excess to 1000 quid , the premium dropped to £750.00 I am so angry ....
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 21:16   #17
mat100p
mat100p

Smile i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingo_uk View Post
Think for insurance quotes we should offer a few more details for comparisons, 'cos these prices are MAD cheap compared to the ones I was offered....

It's a 60 reg xc90 executive - I'm 38, 9yrs no claims, no points (but 6pts in last 5yrs). Added the wifey too. Quotes are for fully comp, 250 xs and with protected no claims. Located in Halifax...

1st off was Volvo insurance, free for 7 days - the annual premium was £1300!
Next my current insurer (Hastings) - £1450 (was £680 for my A4 3.0TDI S-Line)
Had one from direct line for £1750.
Compare sites managed to get it down to about £900

Ended up with AVIVA - £680 for everything mentioned above.
same story as myself just bought new xc90 active 9yrs no claims 6 points no bumps volvo insurance £1400, did the usual comparison sites best quote was £750 Went with privalige who i was with last year bmw x3 for £450 INSURANCE SEEMS TO HAVE GONE CRAZY THIS YEAR.
mat100p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 07:09   #18
XC60KEV
Master Member

Insurance has gone crazy this year and will continue to go up over the next few years too for a fair few reasons.

1. Insurers have to hold more cash reserves than before following the near collapse of the banks. The regulators are insisting on this.
2. RBS are being forced to sell off their insurance arm which includes the main players like Churchill, Privilege, Direct Line, but also affinity Insurers like Virgin, Nat West, RBS to name a few by 2013 per EU Commission. They are charging more £ to loyal customers than new ones (like Sky TV do) in the hope that loyal customers continue to pay. They are cutting operating costs to boost their operating profit to get a better sale price. Other insurers have all cottonned on to this and are increasing their premiums too just not as much.
3. Injuries. This is the most prominent reason for the increase. The no-win, no-fee culture has taken full effect and spread from over the atlantic. Following registering a claim you can almost bet you will get a letter from some firm of solicitors almost urging you to say you have a sore neck, minor injury or sufferred inconvenience/loss of earning etc. The result higher premiums for us all

There is no point in being loyal to a car insurer as customers loyalty is not rewarded at all. Indeed it is the loyal customers that subsidise the new customer discounts.

I would pesonally visit my local broker. They can match or waive a % of their commission to match a quote but more importantly in the event of a claim you will receive personal service and assistance which you cant put a price on IMO.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 10:56   #19
bluey_xc90

I agree on the broker comment - using the one I use for my classic car on agreed value I managed to beat any of the big guys by about £150 and and at reasonable cost of £550. They then did a great deal when added a 3rd car as underwriters gave credit for wife being a named driver. Brokers treat you like a person and mine keeps my cost low each year, so less hassle in ringing around.

Don't always assume the internet is the best price...! By lumping multiple vehicles together under high net worth policy can get a decent discount.
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 11:45   #20
artwilliam

I can't understand some of the prices you're being quoted!
Maybe it's to do with where you live?

I've just quoted the following car on Confused.com - I might be buying it at the weekend.

The prices quoted are for me and the wife, ages 36 & 33 with 6 years no claims. The car is stored on a driveway or garage in York.
Car value - £29995

Your vehicle:
Volvo Xc90 R-Design Se D5 Awd 2010- 2400cc 5 Door Estate Automatic Diesel

LVE - £423.08
Nationwide - £448.74
Admiral - £505.25
Elephant - £507.35

etc etc right down the highest quote of, wait for it!.... £3759.98!!!
artwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote