Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New xc 90

Views : 2728

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 21:31   #1
mat100p
mat100p

Smile New xc 90

Hi all this is my first post, just taken delivery of a new xc90 active geartronic in ice white, so far we are delighted with the car. traded up from bmw x3 we needed more space baby no. 3 on the way. Bought car from Harrats £26,500 seem a good price to me it beat the drive the deal price when we ordered in sept. others on the site seem to mention prices considerably lower but i couldn't find a lower price any where.
Did consider disco 4 but was 9k more way to much. could have gone for se model xc90 but except for leather didn't seem worth extra 2k also no tinted rear windows which are free on active model so really would have been 2.5k difference

considering having running boards fitted and poss front parking sensors wifey misses them were on x3. any advice would be much appreciated.
mat100p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 09:29   #2
FarringdonEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat100p View Post
Hi all this is my first post, just taken delivery of a new xc90 active geartronic in ice white, so far we are delighted with the car. traded up from bmw x3 we needed more space baby no. 3 on the way. Bought car from Harrats £26,500 seem a good price to me it beat the drive the deal price when we ordered in sept. others on the site seem to mention prices considerably lower but i couldn't find a lower price any where.
Did consider disco 4 but was 9k more way to much. could have gone for se model xc90 but except for leather didn't seem worth extra 2k also no tinted rear windows which are free on active model so really would have been 2.5k difference

considering having running boards fitted and poss front parking sensors wifey misses them were on x3. any advice would be much appreciated.

Interesting. We went for the SE as we specifically didn't want tinted windows. We've decided that if we're outside the car we would rather be able to see what the kids are up to in the back rather than them being able to hide. Also with the car being so big anyway, tinting the rear windows gives drivers behind you far less visibility of what is going on in front of you and my view is that you're slightly more likely to be rear-ended. Not really sure of the benefit of tints?? We're also considering running boards to help the kids in and out and to avoid the door dings in car parks..

PS. Am jealous you have already received your car though. We're having to wait until mid-Dec. I assume it's the 185bhp model?

Last edited by FarringdonEd; Nov 4th, 2010 at 09:31.
FarringdonEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 13:01   #3
gillberry
VOC Member

I used to think tints were just for posing but a couple of yrs ago we were away with the caravan for a few days and my other half asked me to get some fizzy pop out the back of the car . Expecting it to be warm and flat boy was I surprised the tinted windows kept it cool . We have tints on our xc90 so the dogs are cool in the back but the same principal applies for those with kids .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gillberry For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 13:45   #4
drpepper

I've recently ordered my Exec (Moving from a Disco 3 mainly becuase Disco 4 is ridicuolously expensive), after much debate, though, cries of 'how much!' I have secumbed and also asked the dealer to add to Front Parking Sensors and Running Boards to the order.

James.
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 16:04   #5
Littlemart

Default Tints

I think the big plus with tints is that if you use the rear seats in the XC90 at all, you can't carry around the cassette that holds the load cover. The tints make it just that bit more difficult to see what you have in the boot and hence (might) deter opportunistic light fingered passers by!
Littlemart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 20:26   #6
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemart View Post
I think the big plus with tints is that if you use the rear seats in the XC90 at all, you can't carry around the cassette that holds the load cover. The tints make it just that bit more difficult to see what you have in the boot and hence (might) deter opportunistic light fingered passers by!
Exactly. We keep our car permanently as 7 seater and I would hate not to have tints. They are great in the summer with young kids. they are a must have on the xc90. I have not seen one inconvenient to them
Something else I do not understand is why the electric child lock is not standard and why people do not under it. At £80, it is a no brained and it is so useful
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 20:47   #7
mat100p
mat100p

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarringdonEd View Post
Interesting. We went for the SE as we specifically didn't want tinted windows. We've decided that if we're outside the car we would rather be able to see what the kids are up to in the back rather than them being able to hide. Also with the car being so big anyway, tinting the rear windows gives drivers behind you far less visibility of what is going on in front of you and my view is that you're slightly more likely to be rear-ended. Not really sure of the benefit of tints?? We're also considering running boards to help the kids in and out and to avoid the door dings in car parks..

PS. Am jealous you have already received your car though. We're having to wait until mid-Dec. I assume it's the 185bhp model?
thanks for the reply you make some good points, never considered other cars needing to view traffic through our car. to be fair the tints on the volvo are not as dark as the bmw was. yes it's the 185 bhp didn't know about 200bhp till after i had ordered our car, not overly bothered it was £700 cheaper than 2011 model plus px worth little more now than in a couple of months.Your right it does feel a big car cetainly more road presence than our old x3 What colour are you getting?
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 20:50   #8
mat100p
mat100p

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillberry View Post
I used to think tints were just for posing but a couple of yrs ago we were away with the caravan for a few days and my other half asked me to get some fizzy pop out the back of the car . Expecting it to be warm and flat boy was I surprised the tinted windows kept it cool . We have tints on our xc90 so the dogs are cool in the back but the same principal applies for those with kids .
Quite right. If you you saw my kids you'd want tinted windows too! ONLY KIDDING.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 20:55   #9
mat100p
mat100p

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
I've recently ordered my Exec (Moving from a Disco 3 mainly becuase Disco 4 is ridicuolously expensive), after much debate, though, cries of 'how much!' I have secumbed and also asked the dealer to add to Front Parking Sensors and Running Boards to the order.

James.
Do you mind me asking what you were quoted for your running boards and front sensors? Harratts quoted me £735 FITTED for running boards outrageous! Warrington volvo quoted £600 still steep but better. not had price for sensors yet.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 21:00   #10
mat100p
mat100p

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie59 View Post
Exactly. We keep our car permanently as 7 seater and I would hate not to have tints. They are great in the summer with young kids. they are a must have on the xc90. I have not seen one inconvenient to them
Something else I do not understand is why the electric child lock is not standard and why people do not under it. At £80, it is a no brained and it is so useful
I agree tints are a must with kids also when used as 7 seater it does hide the contents of the boot a little better. What does the electric child lock do? is it an alternative to manually putting chid locks on?