Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New xc 90

Views : 2727

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2010, 08:34   #11
TWPC

The electric child lock is a great little gadget. It allows you to switch the child lock function on and off from the centre console.
I.e. when the child locks are on you can't open the rear doors from the inside but then with a touch of the button, turning the function off, you can. It means that you don't have to fiddle around with those irritating little switches you get on other cars on the rim of the doors, accessible only when they are open.

Regarding tints and running boards, we got our car in early Sept and ordered neither, mainly because I don't like the way they look. I was worried about the visibility but in all honesty there seems to be enough feedback here suggesting its not a big issue. Regarding the running boards, we have an 8 year old, 6 year old and 5 month old and the 6 year old can find it a bit of a climb getting into the car so with smaller children access may be an issue; I'll let you know in 2013...

Still, very happy with the look of the car as it is. You and the family are in for a treat; the XC90 has been the most popular purchase with the wife and kids since the Nintendo Wii...
TWPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:07   #12
indiebands

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie59 View Post
Exactly. We keep our car permanently as 7 seater and I would hate not to have tints. They are great in the summer with young kids. they are a must have on the xc90. I have not seen one inconvenient to them
Something else I do not understand is why the electric child lock is not standard and why people do not under it. At £80, it is a no brained and it is so useful
On the subject of tints, our dealer has suggested that we add an infrared-blocking coating to the driver/passenger side windows and the windshield. With the Exec package, we are getting the rear tints -- I'm a bit concerned we'll look like Russian mafia, but the they are practical. We have ordered the off-black soft ventilated leather seats, so I am a bit concerned that we'd have frying pan heat on hot days on the dash, steering wheel and front seats. Anyone have any experience with this window coating? It is a dealer install thing, I gather. Thanks.
indiebands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:19   #13
FarringdonEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat100p View Post
thanks for the reply you make some good points, never considered other cars needing to view traffic through our car. to be fair the tints on the volvo are not as dark as the bmw was. yes it's the 185 bhp didn't know about 200bhp till after i had ordered our car, not overly bothered it was £700 cheaper than 2011 model plus px worth little more now than in a couple of months.Your right it does feel a big car cetainly more road presence than our old x3 What colour are you getting?
...and I hadn't considered some of the benefits of tints as explained elsewhere here in terms of keeping cool and keeping prying eyes out! I guess there are benefits and downsides. We wavered all over the colour chart before going boring with one of the metallic greys and the Situla wheels.

We have also specified the winter pack and the electric child locks as they are just at the age now where we would want the doors to be locked during the journey but they're able to get out unaided. A good idea but as said elsewhere should be standard. I rented a Citroen C3 with this feature as standard last week.
FarringdonEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:26   #14
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat100p View Post
Do you mind me asking what you were quoted for your running boards and front sensors? Harratts quoted me £735 FITTED for running boards outrageous! Warrington volvo quoted £600 still steep but better. not had price for sensors yet.
Running Boards should cost around £450 all in. (make sure this includes the 4 rubber step pads)

Front Park Assist - £520 all in (make sure that the dealer paints the front sensors with the correct matching paint for your bumper colour and front skid plate colour - some are lazy and don't do this. Also ensure that the interior panels are all put back together properly as the install of the FPA is quite invasive)
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:03   #15
FarringdonEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Running Boards should cost around £450 all in. (make sure this includes the 4 rubber step pads)

Front Park Assist - £520 all in (make sure that the dealer paints the front sensors with the correct matching paint for your bumper colour and front skid plate colour - some are lazy and don't do this. Also ensure that the interior panels are all put back together properly as the install of the FPA is quite invasive)
Any suggestions as to where might do the boards for £450? I have been quoted £600+ as well... Thanks in advance
FarringdonEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 11:52   #16
XCF
Master Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...6&postcount=33
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCF For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 12:17   #17
owenfackrell
Premier Member

You would be advised to check that those ones come with the longer mounting bolts as i can't see them in the picture only the ones which bolt the sections togeather.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 13:56   #18
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

I asked the vendor yesterday if the boards were genuine Volvo parts .... he has gone very quite ..... reason ... the box shown doesnt say Volvo on it and the internal box is missing the styrofoam packing elements, + No instructions .... mmmm!

Hope he replies as its a good price.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 15:36   #19
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckbusUK View Post
I asked the vendor yesterday if the boards were genuine Volvo parts .... he has gone very quite ..... reason ... the box shown doesnt say Volvo on it and the internal box is missing the styrofoam packing elements, + No instructions .... mmmm!

Hope he replies as its a good price.
It could be because they are OEM parts and not the retail accessory. Interesting to hear his response...
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 15:59   #20
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Well I got a reply from the vendor .... they are NOT Volvo parts .... the vendors reply is ...

Quote:
Very good quality off market ones with 6 months
warranty.Thanks.

- 1stcarparts
Hope it helps someone
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post: