Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amplifier installation & wiring

Views : 3004

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 19:58   #1
CUclimber

Hi, I'm a new member here and I hope I'm not repeating a common question.

I have a 2001 S40 (North American), and I'd like to install an amplifier and subwoofer in the trunk. I just sold my Saab 9-3 which had a pretty easy path from the battery to the trunk for the power cable and audio cables, and there was also a good place in the trunk to run the ground wire to.

The S40 seems to be a little better put together, but as a result it looks a bit harder to take it apart to run the wires. I need to run a beefy power cable from the battery to the trunk, a couple of wires from the head unit to the trunk, and a big ground cable from somewhere in the trunk to the frame (this one shouldn't be too difficult).

Getting through the firewall and under all the upholstry is looking like it's going to be pretty difficult.

I'm sure someone out there has done a simple instllation like this and written about it, but either my Google skills are lacking today or it's pretty well-hidden. Can anybody offer some advice or point me in the direction of someone who has done this before?

Thanks!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 15:52   #2
loopy

Thumbs up

hi on the passanager side there a big gromet made off rubber it has cables going throw use that it a bit dificult to get the cable from the foot well but its the easist that how i got mine throw hpoe it helps look down by the fuse box in engine bay it by there ok pull out the gromet ok
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 01:01   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

As above pop bonnet and look under fuse box there a big rubber grommet, big sharpe screwdriver and gently push it through the grommet to make a hole but don't catch andy of the wiring loom,

Its easy, i've got 2 sets of 4 gauge power cables (80Amp each) plus some other smaller wires so one should be easy enough
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 20:22   #4
Scienide
Cashback!

This is just the advice I was looking for.. however, do I need to remove the glovebox to get the wires or do they just drop out in the footwell. Also, where the hell can i rn the wires down the the car? I can't find enough room!
Scienide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 21:26   #5
T4Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scienide View Post
This is just the advice I was looking for.. however, do I need to remove the glovebox to get the wires or do they just drop out in the footwell. Also, where the hell can i rn the wires down the the car? I can't find enough room!
I have a 4 AWG - 3 RCA - 4 x speaker wire running down the sides of the car under the seat belts - it comes apart like Lego just make sure you remember which bit goes where.

Depends what kind of install your doing ? just a sub - speaker upgrade or beyond... Let us know...
T4Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 13:05   #6
Scienide
Cashback!

It was just a 1000w JBL Sub and JBL amp. Basic setup, entry level gear.

I've given up now lol. I had another go this morning but I cant get behind the glove box. I removed the box itself but theres more plastic behind it that is held in place by some hidden warlord magic. I can't get to the bulkhead to retrieve the power cable which I had got through.

Also, Looking at under the scuff plates there is just no way i want to pull the carpet away from the bodywork and unstick all that glue. Its too well put together for me to start ripping things away from the panels.

I've decided to put the sub and amp in the cupboard upstairs for now.

I just need somebody to explain to me in a little more detail how I can get behind the dash to grab the power cable thats through the bulkhead but lost in no mans land.
Scienide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 18:43   #7
Rooster
Speed freak

find a shapish screw driver and punch a hole in the grommit from the engine bay, then get abit of thin wire and push it through the hole, then get into footwell and take panel down under glove box, 2 crosshead self tappers and you should see the grommit where it comes into car and the wire poking through it,

Tape your thick wire to the thin one and put abit of grease on it and pull it through grommit,

Run the wire off the battery round the airbox, through the bulkhead grommit and then remove the passenger side kick plate and the kick panel infront of it and push the cable under it and refit, just pull carpet out at B pillar and remove rear kick plate and lift back seat up and feed cable under it and your about in boot,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 18:47   #8
Scienide
Cashback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
then get into footwell and take panel down under glove box, 2 crosshead self tappers and you should see the grommit where it comes into car and the wire poking through it,
This is the problem I'm having right... I removed the panel under the glove box this morning. I'd already made a small slit and pushed the power cable through about a foot.

So, I'm lying on the floor looking under the glove box with a torch. The panel already removed. All that I can see is electrical wires, various boxes with Volvo logo's on them and a wall of plastic behind it all. I can't see any of the bulkhead and I cant even find a gap to get my hand up. I can't even shine the torch light beyond this stuff.

So either I've got a boatload of extra crap under my glove box or I'm being a complete thickett lol Help!?!?!
Old May 6th, 2007, 20:43   #9
T4Viper

Way I did it was to poke the screwdriver through a bit deeper and leave it in, then get in the passenger footwell and fell to find the tip. Then get your power cable (push the longer bit running through to the boot) and push through the hole easiest if you can find a friend to help feed it through...

I assume you have pulled the carpet back and if neccessary remove the cosmetic kick plate above the passenegers feet...
Old May 6th, 2007, 20:47   #10
Scienide
Cashback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Viper View Post
I assume you have pulled the carpet back and if neccessary remove the cosmetic kick plate above the passenegers feet...

I removed the cosmetic kickplatye yes, pulled back the carpet...erm no

I thought that the gromit came through higher up, like behind the glove box itself. I didn;t think it would come out behind the carpet. Damn. Time to have another looksee methinks.