Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bringing a 740 back to life

Views : 23367

Replies : 240

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2021, 10:37   #71
Challo

Thanks Luke and Dave. Just dropped Bigg Red a message on the repair kits and also reconditioning the calipers as well.

Going to work out what works best in terms of costs for all options and go from there.

Hopefully this is the last piece to get her on the road and being able to use her.

Just to add I heard back from Bigg Red on the costs.

Refurb - £135 + 7.99 postage
Mechanic Fitting - £80
Total £230

Repair Kit - £60
Mechanic Labour - £160
Total £220

Just need to toy up the idea of getting them refurb, attempting the replacement myself and perhaps cocking it up and needing the mechanic to fit them anyway

Last edited by Challo; May 5th, 2021 at 11:00.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2021, 23:34   #72
360beast
Go redblock or go home

It would be very hard to mess up fitting them

If you were closer I'd be happy to come over and help.

As the calipers are off you might as well change the flexis too as they will probably be past their best.

Fit new flexis to the refurbished calipers, put the anti squeal pads in, new pads in applying either silicone grease, copper grease or ceramic brake paste to all the contact points (where the pads touch the caliper/AS pads). Put the calipers and pads on to the disc and do up the two 12/13mm bolts depending on if they have been replaced and torque them up or do them up very tight with a little bit of threadlock. Then you just need to do up the brake unions in to the flexis and sit back wondering why you even doubted yourself.

Bleeding the brakes you can do the old school way but the best thing to do is invest in a gunsons ezi bleed, the bleeding order is:

Rear left
Rear right
Front left bottom
Front left top
Front right bottom
Front right top

Brake fluid you will probably need a couple litres as you will want to flush out a lot of crud from the system so it will be more cost effective to buy a 5l bottle of Dot 4 from halfords or euro car parts etc
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 00:13   #73
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
It would be very hard to mess up fitting them

If you were closer I'd be happy to come over and help.

As the calipers are off you might as well change the flexis too as they will probably be past their best.

Fit new flexis to the refurbished calipers, put the anti squeal pads in, new pads in applying either silicone grease, copper grease or ceramic brake paste to all the contact points (where the pads touch the caliper/AS pads). Put the calipers and pads on to the disc and do up the two 12/13mm bolts depending on if they have been replaced and torque them up or do them up very tight with a little bit of threadlock. Then you just need to do up the brake unions in to the flexis and sit back wondering why you even doubted yourself.

Bleeding the brakes you can do the old school way but the best thing to do is invest in a gunsons ezi bleed, the bleeding order is:

Rear left
Rear right
Front left bottom
Front left top
Front right bottom
Front right top

Brake fluid you will probably need a couple litres as you will want to flush out a lot of crud from the system so it will be more cost effective to buy a 5l bottle of Dot 4 from halfords or euro car parts etc
Thanks Luke - saved me a lot of typing there!

Definitely agree on flushing the brake system completely and the Easibleed - took me about 20 minutes once the car had all 4 wheels off although i have two less bleed nipples on mine.

Another source of brake fluid :

https://www.smithandallan.com/produc...-brake-fluid-/

That said i have an unopened 5L tub from ECP in the shed, bought during one of their eternal sales for about half the price of the S&A stuff. Will be using that to change the fluid in both of mine soon plus some work on the 760 brakes.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 00:31   #74
bob12
bob12

You are not far away Challo. If you want any advice I am happy to pop over as it's all quiet at the moment and one or other of my cars needs a run out. PM me if you want.

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 09:49   #75
Challo

Thanks all for the information. Luke you make it sound like a piece of cake

Got some time on Saturday, so will take a look at the flexi's and see how crusty it all is.

Having a think my mechanic is just charging me labour, so I would still need to buy the flexi's, new pads, fluid etc which will not doubt make it alot more expensive then doing it myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 09:50   #76
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
You are not far away Challo. If you want any advice I am happy to pop over as it's all quiet at the moment and one or other of my cars needs a run out. PM me if you want.

Bob
Will do. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 10:14   #77
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
Thanks all for the information. Luke you make it sound like a piece of cake
I did say further up it's a straight-forward job Chris - as long as you're methodical it should be a "spanner job", in other words a fairly simple task involving the use of basic tools.

Follow Lukes instructions and you won't go wrong, if you get stuck on anything, stick a post on here and someone is likely to respond fairly quickly with the answer.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 10:59   #78
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I did say further up it's a straight-forward job Chris - as long as you're methodical it should be a "spanner job", in other words a fairly simple task involving the use of basic tools.

Follow Lukes instructions and you won't go wrong, if you get stuck on anything, stick a post on here and someone is likely to respond fairly quickly with the answer.
Its a learning experience at the end of the day, and you have to start somewhere.

At least I have the Volvo sat in the garage now and not on the driveway so I can take my time and keep dry. Plus keeps the missus off my back, she hates the car
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:33   #79
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challo View Post
Its a learning experience at the end of the day, and you have to start somewhere.

At least I have the Volvo sat in the garage now and not on the driveway so I can take my time and keep dry. Plus keeps the missus off my back, she hates the car
It certainly is a learning experience Chris, we all had to start somewhere as well. It's always handy to have a forum like this and for my part, it's a pleasure to help those that want to learn so it's a two-way street in that respect.

As for your missus, she'll work it out one day when your 740 is still going through the snow and everything else and (i'm guessing she has something modern) her Euro-blob is once more having its computers tweaked after an extortionately expensive part has been fitted on the dignostic computers say-so only for another fault to appear soon after!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2021, 11:47   #80
Challo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It certainly is a learning experience Chris, we all had to start somewhere as well. It's always handy to have a forum like this and for my part, it's a pleasure to help those that want to learn so it's a two-way street in that respect.

As for your missus, she'll work it out one day when your 740 is still going through the snow and everything else and (i'm guessing she has something modern) her Euro-blob is once more having its computers tweaked after an extortionately expensive part has been fitted on the dignostic computers say-so only for another fault to appear soon after!
True. She works for BMW so has a new company car every 6months which is handy. To be honest she doesn't like my daily either which is a Mini Cooper S Clubman (09).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Challo For This Useful Post: