Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Transmission Service Required 002F (Lock Up function Slippin

Views : 31444

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2019, 13:14   #21
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I know what you mean. I had wanted a manual this time but I ended up getting another gear tronic as they're weren't any manuals for sale
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 02:36   #22
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Code came back tonight after a few months. Once turned off and on again drives fine in all gears. I might get the S4 solenoid kit from rock auto
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 09:30   #23
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, do you get a shudder throughout the cat between 50 and 60mph. This is when the torque converter locks up. If so then it is indeed the torque converter slipping. It certainly was for my d503 170k

In my case the oil was being polluted by coolant leak from the rad. My symptoms included coolant loss, but generally only apparent on a longer journey. Short distances it was fine, but still the shudder and threw up this same code.. Sorted by new rad and full flush.

But be sure you had a full gearbox flush. There is a significant quantity of fluid in the oil coolant circuit that is not changed with just the gearbox. This forum gives excellent details of full flush method.

Hope this helps john l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 02:25   #24
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Hi John. Thanks for the reply. I'll take it out Friday night and let you know about shudder. It had drain and fill and then full gibbons flush until cherry red. Reset slip counter at the time but not adaptation, so that's my next port of call after checking level and colour
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 23:16   #25
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

no shudder, but if I get on it full throttle itll do a bang after sustained acceleration, presume 3-4 or 4-5 I wasnt sure
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 09:39   #26
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, it really looks like gearbox now, but others may better advise.

Mine is a D5 XC90 and see yours is a v70 t5. A lot more power/acceleration iin your drive train I guess.

In my experience the shudder is the torque converter slipping when locking out in top gear, and it looks like that has improved.

But the bang when changing in higher power and gears sounds ominous and hope that others and advise.

Cheers john l
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 11:46   #27
Freebellion

For me the shudder doesn't seem to be directly related to going into limp mode. However, I do step off the gas for a second if it starts shuddering at around 60 mph (90-100 km/h) and then the shudder goes away without going into limp mode (and i can continue accelerating without shudder). It goes into limp mode ('-' instead of 'D' on the dash) almost every time when i do more acceleration at around 60mph when overtaking or just stepping on it. When decelerating, at around 45mph there is a thud and the car is locked in what seems like the 4th gear until i restart the car. I've only had partial oil changes so far because the guy I did it at doesn't have the tools to do a full change.

The wiring harness fixing method sounds very appealing to try but I have no idea what to do where. The other options I gather are a full oil flush or a new transmission?

I'll check if I'm losing coolant since that was discussed here as well.
Freebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 12:12   #28
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, the for the update.

With me it was not apparent that the atf was contaminated with water and that any water evaporated due to heat, leaving only the antifreeze component. The new rad was not that expensive, I used a nissens OEM unit.

I understand the gibbons method of flush can be recommended. This is referenced on this site. This is the method my indie used. I understand a simpler method is just to repeat flushes and throwing away the result each time. I guess eventually a high proportion of the fluid will be changed.

As with me, the small thud was indicative of limp mode and 'transmission service required' message. It threw this code also.

I have to say mine has been absolutely fine since replacement rad and full gearbox flush, but suggest if coolant leak is an issue, do it sooner rather than later as it will damage the clutches.

Note my indie replaced the rad without removing the ac condenser. Hence I guess no need to recharge.

Hope you get it sorted soon

John l

Tags
002f, adaptation, aisin warner, aw55-50, transmission