Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

exclamation mark on dash and bonnet open

Views : 978

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2018, 13:02   #1
Greg1984

Default exclamation mark on dash and bonnet open

Hi all

I have problem with my new car Volvo XC60 2.0d 2014

Yesterday I had message on dashboard that I need top up 0,5l of oil also light com up on dashboard check engine, when I top up oil everything gone. Something like this is normal with Volvo cars ?
Today I have another message on my dashboard with exclamation mark and showing that front bonnet is open but after 5-10 min this disappearing. Can anyone advise me with this please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181129_1059191.jpg (113.1 KB, 35 views)
Greg1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 13:34   #2
Spike56
Master Member

Welcome to Volvo! Yes these things are normal ( as long as they do not happen frequently) The Exclamation mark and bonnet is related to the bonnet either not being 'securely' shut or the switch (under the bonnet) not seeing the bonnet closed properly, my answer would be to make sure that you shut the bonnet down quite forcefully so it knows you mean business.

You may be surprised by the things your car will tell you!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 14:47   #3
Greg1984

Thanks Spike56 for quick reply and help
I hope I will enjoy Volvo
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg1984 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 17:52   #4
Brankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1984 View Post
Hi all

I have problem with my new car Volvo XC60 2.0d 2014

Yesterday I had message on dashboard that I need top up 0,5l of oil also light com up on dashboard check engine, when I top up oil everything gone. Something like this is normal with Volvo cars ?
Today I have another message on my dashboard with exclamation mark and showing that front bonnet is open but after 5-10 min this disappearing. Can anyone advise me with this please?
I have had my car for nearly 2 years and I have had to top up the oil twice and they were almost exactly a year apart. Top up with 0.5 and all good.
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 09:49   #5
Greg1984

Cool exclamation mark on dash and bonnet open

hi all

I still have problem with exclamation mark on dash and bonnet open,when I drive this message on dash boar flashing and when I park car after couple minutes alarm going on on my car.Any one of you guys had the same problem?also I got check engine on my dash board but don't effect this with driving I-e no power lost .....
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 10:37   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The switch inside the bonnet latch is likely failing.

Replace it
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 15:35   #7
Spike56
Master Member

Is the switch similar to the bonnet stops ie adjustable?? Can you you check that the bonnet is 'tight' and doesn't flex while moving?
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2018, 12:21   #8
Craig S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1984 View Post
hi all

I still have problem with exclamation mark on dash and bonnet open,when I drive this message on dash boar flashing and when I park car after couple minutes alarm going on on my car.Any one of you guys had the same problem?also I got check engine on my dash board but don't effect this with driving I-e no power lost .....
Greg. Which car do you drive?

Is it a 2014 ish 2.0 D4 with the VEA engine
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 12:34   #9
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I know on the V60 you can get an issue with the bonnet latch, and the sensor, happened to mine last year, I opened the bonnet lubricated the latch and opened and closed the latch a few times, closed the bonnet and I haven't had the message since.

Also worth noting its like a double latch mechanism, so you have to close the bonnet quite hard to make sure it properly latches (well on the V60's anyway).
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post: