Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash wiring 1800e

Views : 581

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2018, 00:22   #1
calgary1800e

Default Dash wiring 1800e

I should start by saying that electrical is not my strength and drives me crazy. I got my car with the dash out, bought the full color (Prospero) laminated wiring chart which got me about 80% of the way there and now I have a few extra wires.

Picture 1 shows the wires without a home:

double yellow (OD switch?)
white with green (already have one on the hazard - is this the brake warning light?)
black (assume a ground added by someone)
(the heavy red and yellow are part of the ignition that is now hooked up - last pic)
Heavy yellow with a bulb and a second connector

Picture 2 shows a brown and a green orphans

Everything else I have hooked up seemed pretty clear from the wiring diagram.

Also, while I am at it, for the rear fuel pump, I assume the yellow is the positive per my wiring diagram? My pump was disconnected, the yellow has a larger connector on it which aligns to the larger pole on the pump (that is marked negative)... (my pump has two blue poles, not a red and blue)

Appreciate the help,
Kerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg v1.jpg (246.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg v2.jpg (232.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg v3.jpg (222.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg v4.jpg (163.1 KB, 13 views)
calgary1800e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 03:57   #2
c1800
Master Member

The OD wiring connector is under the hood is a black and yellow wire, between the heater fan and pedal box. Sorry I can’t be of more help, I’ll research some more over the next few days.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 11:30   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you are willing to put a battery on it I would then make a list of everything that doesn't work. That would then allow you to look them up on the wiring diagram and hopefully match the colours.
Take care with the battery, there may be live wires touching metal under the dash.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 12:48   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Kerry;

A Wiring Diagram is your best guide (and nice and large, even more-so!)...remember: The color codes are your friend!

...and if and when you are ready to install a Battery for powered tests as Derek mentions, I recommend you (further) limit the available energy with a series fuse. See: http://www.sw-em.com/Battery%20Notes...ailable_energy

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 17:04   #5
c1800
Master Member

I’ve read that some use a 9V lantern battery when testing circuits as another way to limit the energy as Ron points out.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 18:18   #6
calgary1800e

Thanks - appreciate the tips. Might just have to dive in by hooking up the battery... most of the wires are hooked up I think fairly correctly per the prospero diagram.

Any thoughts on the fuel pump question? The wiring diagram suggests a yellow positive, but the poles on the pump are different gauge and the connectors suggest the opposite was hooked up previously,

Cheers,
Kerry
calgary1800e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 22:36   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Kerry;

Yellow is power to FuPu, White is negative. Check with a multimeter.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: