Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

loud sloshing noise in front of dashboard whilst turning

Views : 4617

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2019, 00:37   #1
Morgasmotron

Default loud sloshing noise in front of dashboard whilst turning

hello everyone need some help to diagnose to hopefully resolve annoying issue im having on my V70 2009 2.4D estate
for several months im hearing this loud sloshing noise every time I turn or bank sharply round corner
At first I thought it may be bottles of water slung in the boot space rolling round in the back seat wells behind below me ( ive a load of stuff like most in the car ) but i took these away and the noise revealed itself to be sounding to come from the very most front of dashboard area.
now in last couple of months ive noticed an ingress in the heaviest of gales of water on the inside of the screen dripping down the screen to bottom where the air comes out , although not enough to notice a significant misting of the car window in the mornings when you come out to vehicle , like when you know you've got a stone chip hole thats leaking in.
it turns out on examination that my top seal is come away on the windscreen so I think about sealing this up , but on inspection by a local window fitter ex autoglass man he shows me the window is practically totally popped out and talks about getting a replacement as they cant guarantee they wont break screen when taking out to do seals

okay im thinking is this where waters coming in ?
i took off plastic cover over engine bay top that covers the pleniem chamber area is it called ( space that houses wiper motors) and cleared water release holes there i could see and there no visible water sloshing in that space .

i get the front window replaced in the end as Autoglass cheaper as i only pay excess am told its a safety issue so im covered
the Autoglass guy says hes done several of these lately volvo windows popping right out on that year 2009 as they havnt primed the seal area prior to them going through with the initial sealant and sure enough you can see the lack of bond when he removes the window out and how it comes away like its stuck on with pritt stickk ( which was a bit disconcerting as this was a ex paramedic fast response vehicle which would have been in excess of 100 mph regularly . as with autoglass men their totally on the clock for jobs so roadside reinstallation he's not got time to go into thinking where excess water noise is coming from he's just about replacing screen correctly and onto his next appointment booking .

Im left now with a newly sealed new windscreen but still the heavy sloshing sound coming from the front
Anyone have any experience of this issue ? where suppose could the water have got itself too ? apart from sounding like a strapped on fishtank IM totally worried i may be emerging wiring or components in water that no way of evaporating off or rusting stuff i dont need to be rusting
if anyone has any tips or points where they think I should start to rectify this issue id be eternally grateful for the advice
Morgasmotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 09:28   #2
Stephen2015
S60 D5244T4

Have you checked under both footwell carpets, you will need to remove the door trimmings to be able to lift the carpets up.
Stephen2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 10:59   #3
Morgasmotron

ill get on that now this weekend and look see for any ingress thanks stephen
Old Feb 15th, 2019, 11:29   #4
Peter86
Pete

There are a few threads about windscreen sealing problems, I can't remember if volvo ever said it was there fault and paid back any money to people who had it fixed.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2019, 15:05   #5
Waynedance

Bulkhead drainage holes clear? Is the bulkhead filling up with water (where wiper motor is).
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 12:59   #6
adsk

I've had my 2009 S80 since new. About 1 month into ownership in April 2009 I had the same issue of water sloshing around. The dealer said it was a known issue, said Volvo had a fix and within 1 hour I was on my way home.
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adsk For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:05   #7
Waynedance

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsk View Post
I've had my 2009 S80 since new. About 1 month into ownership in April 2009 I had the same issue of water sloshing around. The dealer said it was a known issue, said Volvo had a fix and within 1 hour I was on my way home.
And the fault or fix was......................
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:48   #8
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

I had the same, but don't really know what had to be done - recall the windscreen was replaced so I think it might have been something about a seal - but that would have taken longer than an hour so probably not the other posters reason. As some have mentioned, drilling a drain hole has been another 'fix'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Wildsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 12:14   #9
Morgasmotron

Default more info needed

if anyone can reply to this about what was done to remedy it ( aside obvious issue of windscreen seals being replaced which ive done ) please expand on it ill be eternally gratefull i ve now got water locked in and i cant figure where its gathering cannot see it but water amount visibly sounds substantial

if this is just matter of clearing blocked drainage holes suggestions or do i need to remove extensive plastic com[opponents to get at route area? I am super worried about rust out or worse still electrical cable ingress with this so anyhelp super gratefull for

sick of driving round a sloshing fishtank

Last edited by Morgasmotron; Feb 21st, 2019 at 12:48.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 10:47   #10
adsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
And the fault or fix was......................
As it was nearly 10 yrs ago I can't remember the details other than the dealer drilled a hole...
adsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dashboard, v70, windscreen leak