Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrics - hard wiring dashcam

Views : 3830

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2017, 18:16   #1
DJK53

Default Electrics - hard wiring dashcam

Have only recently bought my XC60 so still getting used to it. I believe it's an MY16 model, registered September 2015.

In my two previous cars, an MGZTT and Jaguar X Type Estate, I have hardwired my dash cam to a switched power source using piggyback fuses.

This approach has worked really well and I'd like to replicate it in the XC60.

My plan is, as before, to bring the cable down the left-hand side of the front screen between the glass and A pillar, thus avoiding any issues with the A pillar airbags.

The question is where next on the XC60, where is the most appropriate source to take a switched supply from, i.e fuse box, and which fuse.

I'd like to use the supply for the 12V sockets if the fuse is easily accessible and the supply is switched as I don't intend to use the socket in the centre console at all.

Last point, what size fuses doe's the XC60 use, micro, mini or standard.

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

David
DJK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 20:03   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJK53 View Post
Have only recently bought my XC60 so still getting used to it. I believe it's an MY16 model, registered September 2015.

In my two previous cars, an MGZTT and Jaguar X Type Estate, I have hardwired my dash cam to a switched power source using piggyback fuses.

This approach has worked really well and I'd like to replicate it in the XC60.

My plan is, as before, to bring the cable down the left-hand side of the front screen between the glass and A pillar, thus avoiding any issues with the A pillar airbags.

The question is where next on the XC60, where is the most appropriate source to take a switched supply from, i.e fuse box, and which fuse.

I'd like to use the supply for the 12V sockets if the fuse is easily accessible and the supply is switched as I don't intend to use the socket in the centre console at all.

Last point, what size fuses doe's the XC60 use, micro, mini or standard.

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

David
Your plan is sound, behind the glovebox is one of the many fuse boxes, and in there is the fuse for the 12v socket in the centre console which is a IGN switched live. They are the smaller blade fuse type, not sure if mini or micro.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2017, 20:08   #3
Fat Magpie

I took a different approach, I used one of the overhead map reading/courtesy lights, I removed the bulb and now I manually switch the camera on and off. If parked I can leave it on recording.
XC60 MY10 AWD D5 Summum 205 PS, Geartronic, Winter pack, Aux diesel heater, Xenons, Family pack, Tinted rears, Moonroof, Parking sensor F&R, Premium sound, Car phone, Reversing camera, Lane departure, Hill decent, Savile Grey.
Fat Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fat Magpie For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 10:09   #4
JimmyP

I hard-wired my dashcam in a couple of weeks ago and IIRC it's fuse number 22 for the tunnel console 12v supply - it's in the right-hand fuse box in the passenger footwell.

Finding a decent earth point was a bit of a pain as it's all plastic around the fuse boxes but I eventually found an unpainted bolt beneath the 'behind-the-floating-console' storage shelf. Pull the carpet away in the footwell to the right of the fuse boxes, prise off the whole trim panel and you'll give yourself enough room to attach the earth.

I still haven't replaced the fuse box cover properly as the piggy-back fuse holder has a higher profile and catches on the fins inside the plastic cover. Something to sort this weekend...

As for fuse size, I'm pretty sure they're all mini fuses in there but please don't base any purchase on that!
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 08:58   #5
DJK53

Thanks everyone for their help and advice, I have ordered a cable from an on line auction site in order that I won't need to cut the orgonal and once that arrives I'll have a go and post up the outcome.
DJK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 22:39   #6
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Bought one of those Nextbase dash cams from Halfords. Hardwire kit and fitted for extra £20. Yes, fuse box behind glove box but finding earth point was fussy. Job done in 40 minutes.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 07:50   #7
Mick787

Where are you all positioning your camera's? I put my Nextbase camera into the wife's car after I bought my XC60, purely because of the huge lump of electronics sited in the top centre of the screen. Adding more in that area would have been a tad too much for my tastes.
Given the insurance company I use doesn't give any benefit for me fitting one, I thought I'd not bother. I do accept though, they are a very good product and one which I think manufacturers should be fitting as standard. Volvo, if you are reading these posts, in that lump of electronics would be a good place to start on the XC60. Given the size of cameras these days, one wouldn't really make the lump any bigger!
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2017, 11:21   #8
JimmyP

I picked this one up http://amzn.to/2f9lFV3 as I prefer the small, barrel-shape rather than the larger rectangular ones with screens on the back.

I've fixed it about 8cm to the left of the plastic enclosure with the fixing plate tucked up high against the headlining - not too obtrusive at all.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:55   #9
Kod

Default Hard-wiring dash cam

Mounted the camera to the left side of the roof console, ran the wires down the A pillar and reached the fuse boxes.
Problem is access to the fuses. I got the top of the smaller fuse box but what next. A previous post mentions a piggy-back fuse. Is this okay?

XC60 SE Lux Nav 2016.
Kod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kod For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 18:29   #10
tails

Default camera fit

kod,
the guy from halfords done the same fit to mine.
but i want a fit for the rear,but a want it wired from the rear of the car ?
tails is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tails For This Useful Post: