Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 Lifespan

Views : 3207

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 12:32   #1
AccountAnt0102

Default XC90 T8 Lifespan

Hi all,

I have a company car (XC90 T8) which turns 4 years old in Jan 2022 and will need to be returned to the leasing company. I'll be switching to car allowance.

I love this car and have asked for a quote to buy from the lease company (£41k).

My question is, will it be worth it? How long should I expect a T8 to last if I choose to keep it until its demise? I'd never ordinarily consider buying a hybrid personally (I had it for the low BiK) because we don't know much about the battery life, but this is my baby!

I'm only doing around 8,000 miles per year.

Thanks.
AccountAnt0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 07:48   #2
Backinavolvo

IMO buying a used car is always a risk..

You know and love the car, so risk is minimised.

41k isn't exactly the deal of the century, but it must have low miles, and prices are high at the moment so looking at something else whatever brand will be equally inflated.

I'd go for it.. once its yours if you want to move it on at any point it will still be worth reasonable £ especially with the low miles.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 08:17   #3
AccountAnt0102

Thank you for this. I would love to keep it and if it wasn't a hybrid I'd definitely go for it. My problem is I don't know how long I should expect it to last in miles, particularly the battery. I can't seem to find anything online.
AccountAnt0102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 08:18   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccountAnt0102 View Post
Hi all,

I have a company car (XC90 T8) which turns 4 years old in Jan 2022 and will need to be returned to the leasing company. I'll be switching to car allowance.

I love this car and have asked for a quote to buy from the lease company (£41k).

My question is, will it be worth it? How long should I expect a T8 to last if I choose to keep it until its demise? I'd never ordinarily consider buying a hybrid personally (I had it for the low BiK) because we don't know much about the battery life, but this is my baby!

I'm only doing around 8,000 miles per year.

Thanks.
battery is warranted for 8 years .. but looking back in history will last longer .. there are battery reconditioning companies now and even volvo are having a reconditioning dealer in every region by the time it becomes necessary .
There will be companies who will replace bearings in motors and rewind them if they burn out .
Any more serious problem is going to cost a lot though . same with any electric vehicle ..... less to go wrong mechanically but more high voltage electronic units .
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 08:46   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I think for me the 41K would put me off, is that not costly? I would have thought you could buy direct from Volvo Selekt programme for less than that with full year warrenty.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 08:51   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

An interesting question and one I have direct experience of.

In Mar 2016 I took delivery of my new leased company car XC90 T8. List price 70k.

In Mar 2019 I opted out of the car scheme, bought it off the lease company and have run it privately since then. I paid 29.5k and the car had done 85k miles. I bought a 3 year after market warranty for £599 from my dealer at the same time.

The car is now over 5 years old. Has done just over 120k miles. I treated it to a set of winter tyres and wheels, have paid for 3 services, replaced the brake disks and pads but not paid for much more than that. It had an ERAD at 103k miles paid for by the warranty company. Irrespective of the mileage it is still a lovely place to sit and the only wear inside is on the drivers door arm rest.

The big decision coming up for me is what to do in Mar 2022. Do I continue to run it without a warranty, or buy a new warranty (which won't cover as much due to the mileage) or chop it for a new one? It is 7 months out still but i reckon I will be keeping it until I can get a full electric XC90 at a reasonable price, which I am guessing aint going to be before 2025.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 09:39   #7
Saftlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I think for me the 41K would put me off, is that not costly? I would have thought you could buy direct from Volvo Selekt programme for less than that with full year warrenty.
I initially thought that too, but checking on Selekt, that looks to be the going price right now
Saftlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 12:24   #8
Moonlanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saftlad View Post
I initially thought that too, but checking on Selekt, that looks to be the going price right now
I would also personally pay a premium for a car that I had driven for all of its life. More risk with the Selekt cars, not knowing how the previous driver(s) drove it.
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 13:21   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlanders View Post
I would also personally pay a premium for a car that I had driven for all of its life. More risk with the Selekt cars, not knowing how the previous driver(s) drove it.
I wouldn't worry about that , as long as the car looked right , you cant drive an engine to destruction these days with the ultra high gearing and ever decreasing speed limits ...
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 13:31   #10
Cull06
Master Member

The big question for me whether to keep it or hand it back is going to be that erad …

Tags
lifespan, xc90