Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are we bonkers getting a new xc90 diesel?

Views : 3389

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 13:50   #1
jmot

Default Are we bonkers getting a new xc90 diesel?

Hey - many of you will know the trouble we've had with our current xc90.

It's about to be rejected and currently weighing up replacement options.

A xc90 D5 on a PCP has been floated as an option on a 48 month term but...

Given how the world is going with Diesel that's 2022/2023 when we'd be exiting...

Volvo themselves have said no new models coming in diesel etc

Are we going to end up with a car thats in significant negative equity with anyone else than Volvo??

I know there will be a MFGV attached to the deal but that won't help with anyone except Volvo when it comes to exiting/trade in right?

Thanks.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 13:52   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

I thought the whole point of PCP is you agree a trade in price when term is up?

Assuming you are under milage, and there is no damage, they HAVE to pay you the agreed price???????
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:20   #3
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I thought the whole point of PCP is you agree a trade in price when term is up?

Assuming you are under milage, and there is no damage, they HAVE to pay you the agreed price???????
Yes, but that is what the OP is saying, Volvo would have to pay him the agreed price, but other brands may not.

So let's say for arguments sake the agreed final payment after 48 months was 30k. The OP could go back to Volvo, and they might say that that is the max they could offer, so essentially he'd be giving the car back, and may or may not choose to get another Volvo. Or, they might say they will give him 35k for it, essentially leaving him with 5k in the wallet towards another Volvo. Or, he could simply give the car back and walk away.

However, if he went to Audi, they might say that his old school Diesel SUV has dropped in value, and they can only offer him 25k, at which point he'd be better handing back to Volvo and starting afresh with Audi.

Essentially, he won't loose, but might not get anything in addition to the guaranteed final value.

All the above assumes the car goes back in good condition and within millage.

:wq
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:44   #4
mentepazza

Thing is the agreed value will be very low and monthly payments very high.
mentepazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 14:55   #5
Milliner

Quote:
Hey - many of you will know the trouble we've had with our current xc90.

It's about to be rejected and currently weighing up replacement options.

A xc90 D5 on a PCP has been floated as an option on a 48 month term but...

Given how the world is going with Diesel that's 2022/2023 when we'd be exiting...

Volvo themselves have said no new models coming in diesel etc

Are we going to end up with a car thats in significant negative equity with anyone else than Volvo??

I know there will be a MFGV attached to the deal but that won't help with anyone except Volvo when it comes to exiting/trade in right?

Thanks.
Is your concern about buying a diesel Volvo specifically, or a diesel generally?

I'd have thought if anyone, Volvo, with a commitment to move away from diesel would be the ones to offer less residual value on a D5, so if they guarantee the final figure, the other finance companies should be there or thereabouts surely?

I believe Volvo have sold on the finance to Lex now, so it might be a moot point anyway.

I do think consumers are well overdue some sort of clarity on diesel though. Most of us were tax-incentivised out of petrol into diesels for many years by the government after all.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 15:44   #6
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentepazza View Post
Thing is the agreed value will be very low and monthly payments very high.
Sure, but I guess at least you know that up-front and that's part of securing the deal you want at the time or purchase.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 16:03   #7
mr rusty

GFV means you know where you stand - no risk. If you are doing the miles diesel is still most economical so less CO2 and latest Euro 6.2 are as clean as anything, so guilt free. The only problem I can see is surcharges for congestion zone, parking maybe, etc. But even here E6.2 should be excluded. If you like it, I'd say go for it - I don't believe much will change in the next 4 years.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 16:34   #8
LordLucan

There will be demand for diesels for some time yet. I opted for a V90 d4 diesel on 4 Yr lease because the petrol would kill me on fuel costs, particularly when towing my caravan.

For me personally, the all electric technology/infrastructure just isn't there yet to make them viable as a long distance tow car and the hybrids are way too expensive.
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 16:53   #9
ccfcforever1987
VOC Member

Ditto to what LordLucan said.

Diesels will be around for many years to come. Indeed I saw an article the other day on the Autocar website that stated used diesel sales were actually up at the end of 2018.

The cost of buying or even leasing a hybrid is out of reach of most people at the moment. That is the reason I opted for a D4 V60 over anything else. The only petrol option would be the T5 or waiting for the petrol/hybrid. Funnily enough because the T5 has 250bhp the cost of ownership was far higher than the D4 even though my mileage is a relatively low 10-12k miles per year.

We just haven't got the infrastructure in place for electric vehicles yet. Coupled together with the fact that it takes 2-5 hours to fully charge a battery even with a fast charge facility its just not practical for long journeys until we can fully charge a battery in minutes rather than hours. hydrogen is an option but again the infrastructure and technology just is not ready.

For such a big car like the XC90 diesel is the best option, in my opinion.
ccfcforever1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccfcforever1987 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 18:00   #10
jmot

Not getting a new xc90 now.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote