Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are we bonkers getting a new xc90 diesel?

Views : 3391

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 20th, 2019, 18:59   #11
HDAV
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Not getting a new xc90 now.

Are you getting a new car?

Is it diesel?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 19:09   #12
DangerMUK
VOC Member

I live in Central London so it was a hybrid for me and petrol!

With that being said if I lived outside the capital and didn't need to come inside the ULEZ or Congestion Charging zone frequently, I would have had a much tougher time deciding between diesel and hybrids/petrols.

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 20:14   #13
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I am in the exact same situation. I am looking at a 48 month pcp with the final value at 20,500 pounds.

I too believe that the environment is so in predictable that I have pulled the deal.

It’s a real shame.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 20:52   #14
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Are you getting a new car?

Is it diesel?
Back to Audi, yes Diesel.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 21:02   #15
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMUK View Post
I live in Central London so it was a hybrid for me and petrol!

With that being said if I lived outside the capital and didn't need to come inside the ULEZ or Congestion Charging zone frequently, I would have had a much tougher time deciding between diesel and hybrids/petrols.
Just a quick question from a northerner who lives in the countryside with beautiful fresh air! I’m sorry but I don’t really get this, all current SPA diesel vehicles meet euro 6 standards, which I thought was the requirement for ULEZ, so what am I missing?

:wq
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 22:35   #16
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Just a quick question from a northerner who lives in the countryside with beautiful fresh air! I’m sorry but I don’t really get this, all current SPA diesel vehicles meet euro 6 standards, which I thought was the requirement for ULEZ, so what am I missing?

What you are missing (I am a southerner who lives in the countryside) is that people are looking at standing 45 to 60,000 quid and in 3 or 4 years time the vehicle could be extremely undesirable.

My 2012 xc90 is £300 odd quid to tax a year.

The fuel efficient Euro 6 I went to view today is 830 in the first year and £450 in years 2-6 despite the fact it is a modern clean version. There are also real example driving (not sure of title or specifics) but RED2 legislation is coming out which could hammer diesel cars after 2020/2021 including the xc90.

I don’t actually mind spending 45,000 on a car but would wish to have the option to keep 5 or 6 years. By 2025 the market could be so different and you could see yourself unable to tax these diesels for reasonable money and there may be no market.

Unlikely but not out of the wuestion enough that I would sign on the dotted line for 45-60k.

I will hold off for 24 months and keep running my lively but aging 2012 model with the hope that the t8 version progresses and then consider one of those.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 23:09   #17
Ringthane
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
but RED2 legislation is coming out which could hammer diesel cars after 2020/2021
Not sure what the Red 2 legislation has to do with emissions. I thought it was a requirement to provide fuels from sustainable and renewable sources.

The future value of our cars, both diesel and petrol, will, no doubt, be affected by government legislation, and as a consequence, people’s perception of them, but the value of them after 3,4 or 5 years will be determined by simple depreciation, far more than whether is a diesel or petrol.

I spent a couple of days thinking through whether to go for the D4 or T5, with the future resale value in mind. I paid cash, and I am looking to keep it for more than 5 years. I came to the conclusion that I could get better fuel economy from the D4, over its lifespan, and I would be contributing less CO2 to the environment in the process.

My car is fully ULEZ compliant and any increase in Road Tax will be a purely political decision, until taxing us off the road, becomes a vote looser.

When I come to sell my D4, I will buy a Tesla or EV. Until then, I’m going to enjoy the car I have and take the depreciation on the chin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ringthane For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 21st, 2019, 09:19   #18
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
What you are missing (I am a southerner who lives in the countryside) is that people are looking at standing 45 to 60,000 quid and in 3 or 4 years time the vehicle could be extremely undesirable.

My 2012 xc90 is £300 odd quid to tax a year.

The fuel efficient Euro 6 I went to view today is 830 in the first year and £450 in years 2-6 despite the fact it is a modern clean version. There are also real example driving (not sure of title or specifics) but RED2 legislation is coming out which could hammer diesel cars after 2020/2021 including the xc90.

I don’t actually mind spending 45,000 on a car but would wish to have the option to keep 5 or 6 years. By 2025 the market could be so different and you could see yourself unable to tax these diesels for reasonable money and there may be no market.

Unlikely but not out of the wuestion enough that I would sign on the dotted line for 45-60k.

I will hold off for 24 months and keep running my lively but aging 2012 model with the hope that the t8 version progresses and then consider one of those.
Got you, I understand all the arguments for the unknown, it was the ULEZ bit I didn't understand, thought for a minute it was going to start penalising even the newest diesel cars!

Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 07:35   #19
Cmjs

All in this thread are in fortunate postions that allow the purchase of 45k plus vehicles. Don’t think for one minute the market for diesels won’t be there. What about the second hand market ? Those 2nd and 3rd users of cars that typically pay 10-20k for a 3 or 4 year old car? Despite the move towards electrification gathering pace it looks like we are 2 years before full ranges are available from all manufacturers. Buyers of new cars ie companies and individuals on PCPs etc will then start to renew their vehicles which depending on where they sit in the cycle could be between 1 - 4 years. Then they buy electric. They run these cars for another 1-4 years before they hit the second hand market I mentioned earlier. diesels dead no ! As one of the fortunate ones who can buy a new car I will continue to buy diesels until the cycles start to catch up.
Old Feb 22nd, 2019, 08:00   #20
jrawarren

Ive recently changed from an XC60 D5 to XC60 T5, I purchase my cars rather than lease.

I think there is a specific issue with people who travel in/through London due to the ULEZ (and any other city that follows suit). My thinking was that yes the Euro6 engine is compliant at the moment, but looking at the position of older non-compliant engines and the relatively young age of some of those, it struck me that the Euro6 cars will only be compliant for 4yrs or so. That then makes your trade-in far less attractive to the next buyer.

Road tax worried me less, as class exemptions for older reg vehicles seem to be the norm when new tighter charges are introduced.

If I leased I would be less worried about taking a diesel, but if you purchase outright it could be a more risky process.
jrawarren is offline   Reply With Quote