Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Brake Drums - removal

Views : 6261

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2012, 13:25   #11
Gibo993

Thanks guys for the tips. The puller I have means its difficult to wedge anything in the studs as the puller is bolted on using them, I will try the wood wedge to drum and see how I get on. or maybe its fallen off over night due to the pressure. (Ishouldbesolucky)
Gibo993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:08   #12
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Gibo;

...it wouldn't be the first time that after it was put under some serious tension and left overnight, that a little thermal action popped it off...as a last resort you could help this along by putting the assembly under tension, then heating the drum-hub with a propane or acetylene powered flame (I would use the term torch here, but I know torch means something completely different for you).

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:47   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

If you're not having any success with the Brookhouse or proper Volvo puller you could try the following method.
With the centre screw slackened off, fit the the puller on the hub. Do up the wheel nuts finger tight and and then undo each one, 1 complete turn. Screw in the centre screw until it's tight. You can use a spanner here to make sure it's under tension. Using a suitable spanner or socket with extension bar (not a ratchet) tighten up each wheel nut up 1 flat a time, going back and forth diagonally across the nuts. This creates a small amount of "wriggle" on the taper which sometimes works when a straight push using the centre screw doesn't. Unless it comes off straight away, patience is always needed but working the puller normally and this alternate method should do the trick eventually. Some Volvo factory pullers have a short T bar for hammering on but mine just has a pair of large nuts locked together. I think they are original and have been on all the ones that have passed through my hands.
As mentioned in an earlier post. My estate failed it's "needed when purchased" MOT for having no braking on one of the rears drums. Handbrake OK. Attempts to remove the drum with a factory puller failed and the MOT garage were asked to do the job. They did so but what garage/blacksmiths techniques were used I don't know although they too had the proper Volvo tool. Sod's Law that a few weeks ago, my new MOT a year later showed the rear brake not fitted with a new cylinder was giving the same problems but did manage to get its act together with some agressive pumping. I watched while the tester did this. Got a tcket with an explanation of what was going on, but I'll have to get this drum off to put in the new cylinder bought to go with the other one. Unfortunately the 1st garage onle changed the dodgy one. Time will tell how I get on with this drum. It could well be stuck the same as the first.
A question for someone who has both the Brookhouse and the Volvo pullers. Does the Brookhouse one have the same fine thread as the Volvo one? A fine thread multiplies the torque/pressure more than a coarse one. Angular degrees of turn with a fine thread are greater than with the coarse thread to give the same amount of push. Effectively this is the same as using a much longer lever.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:58   #14
Gibo993

Thanks everyone for your comments!!

Well it turns out I am so lucky, bought a big rubber hammer and extension bar and went back to it, after hitting it a few times I thought I better check its not backed off to the castle nut, so I undid the puller and realised I had put the thick washer back on when I spun the castle nut around and the drum was snug against it.
Removed the nut and washer and then the drum pulled off by hand. (bit dissapointed I did not get a huge bang as it let go).

Anyway new seals in and cleaned up, putting it back together I broke the little clip that holds the shoes to the back plate with the little pin, anyone know if these are easy to source or a suitable replacement??

Top Tip: Reverse the castle nut to protect the shaft but leave out the washer so you get a visible movement when the drum pops off
Old May 30th, 2012, 13:45   #15
Tail
Master Member

You can get the kits for holding the brakeshoes to the backplate from Brookhouse, Halfords used to do them but last time i asked they were no longer available, more profit in polish and pressure washers i assume.
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 13:49   #16
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail View Post
You can get the kits for holding the brakeshoes to the backplate from Brookhouse
However the small spring steel anti-rattle clip (between the top return spring and the wheel cylinder) is no longer available, so keep hold of it!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 13:55   #17
Gibo993

Are the retaining clips just Volvo PV/Amazon parts or also on later cars.
Really wanted to get one today, but will call Brookhouse if no joy
Old May 30th, 2012, 16:07   #18
Volvo_133
VOC member

The retaining clips are quite common and not peculiar to Amazon.My sons 1999 Corsa has them.

Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 17:08   #19
Gibo993

Excellent Thankyou, off to Camberley Auto Factors - Must admit CAF are pretty good, the old guy in there identified an unknown ball joint on my GT40 rep by sight as a 72 Granada and was spot on, been in the trade a while!!
Old May 30th, 2012, 17:10   #20
Tail
Master Member

You have to watch the length of the shoe retaining pins, i got hold of some generic ones and they were too short.
editted , i meant too long and didnt hold the shoe to the backplate, its all this sun honest.

Last edited by Tail; May 30th, 2012 at 17:12.
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote