Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help urgent

Views : 691

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 13:39   #1
cheffy

Default Help urgent

Can someone help please? I think I've accidentally set the immobiliser off whilst driving (I had another car key on the ring). is there a way at the side of the road I can reset it?
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 13:58   #2
cheffy

just started up again.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 15:25   #3
cheffy

Just a quick note for those of you who didn't know DON'T KEEP 2 CAR KEYS WITH IMMOBILISERS ON THE SAME KEY RING. I'd never heard this before as I'd never owned a decent car and it turns out that one key can set the immobiliser off on the other. Who'd've thunk it lol
The Following User Says Thank You to cheffy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 19:18   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

The immobiliser is only active when starting , once started it is redundant , it cant have any active effect on anything when running . what exactly happened?
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 22:47   #5
cheffy

I was literally driving along in the outside lane of the Edinburgh bypass when the wipers started going full speed and the HUD came up with ABS system check, brake failure, fill washer fluid, immobiliser check manual and within 100yards I'd lost all power (lucky I'd been able to pull over)

I popped the bonnet and checked for the brake fluid and all that and all looked well. I got the handbook out and saw the note about keeping keys together and what with the immobiliser message on the HUD I put 2 and 2 together and figured that's what it was. Plus I saw something online (whilst waiting for the RAC which I subsequently cancelled) about locking and unlocking the car 5 times to reset everything and it worked.

If there's anyone out there who might have a better thought as to what it was then PLEASE let me know so I can see about getting it checked out.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 23:08   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
I was literally driving along in the outside lane of the Edinburgh bypass when the wipers started going full speed and the HUD came up with ABS system check, brake failure, fill washer fluid, immobiliser check manual and within 100yards I'd lost all power (lucky I'd been able to pull over)

I popped the bonnet and checked for the brake fluid and all that and all looked well. I got the handbook out and saw the note about keeping keys together and what with the immobiliser message on the HUD I put 2 and 2 together and figured that's what it was. Plus I saw something online (whilst waiting for the RAC which I subsequently cancelled) about locking and unlocking the car 5 times to reset everything and it worked.

If there's anyone out there who might have a better thought as to what it was then PLEASE let me know so I can see about getting it checked out.

Thanks!
This is a electrical system network problem , the signals going back and forth in the whole car are disturbed resulting in all sorts of strange problems . two places to look are the CEM / fusebox under the glovebox , look for loose multi plugs and loose wires/terminals in each multi plug .
Look VERY carefully at all the CEM Pins and parts of the multi plugs which sit in the CEM for wetness and corrosion .
Secondly , the engine wiring loom rubbing on something , look
around the gearbox after removing the air filter housing , and take out the R/H headlamp and look behind there , at the wiring loom , rubbing on sharp edges . just pull the loom and try and free it from under pipes , sometimes just doing this will prevent the problem happening again , or you might see the problem and be able to sort it /
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 08:40   #7
cheffy

Oh. Thanks Clan. Not really what I was wanting to hear, but hey ho!

The first thing I should easily be able to do (the fuse box) and I've had the headlights out before so that shouldn't be a worry. The air filter housing could be a bit much but I'll see about getting my hands on a manual or something and finding that part.

Is it something I should seriously worry about or something I could put off for a few weeks and get a professional to have a look at?

Ian
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 09:48   #8
EricMe
V50 Driver

Regardless of whether it causes a fault or not, it's really not a good idea to keep both your car keys on the same ring. Lose one and both are gone !
Old Feb 24th, 2012, 15:41   #9
cheffy

It was a key to a different car which I'd picked up the day before and just needed somewhere safe to keep the key so I wouldn't lose it. I figured the Volvo lanyard was the safest place as it never leaves my pocket.