Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 868517

Replies : 6388

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:47   #6201
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'm with ITsV40 on this one as well Alan, you'd be on a "Highway to Hell" (see what i did there? ) with the one you've found needing steering repairs and brake repairs according to the listing (but otherwise unmentioned) and having checked some info on Wikipedia on the Bentley 8 and it's successor, the Brooklands, i've found one that i think would be a better bet. Granted the screen price is higher but factoring the steering and brake work in, it's probably cheaper!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126401626113

It also has a current MoT so ideal for popping down the Taj Mahal for your chicken tikka massala and plenty of room to put your clubs in the boot for your long drive to the local golf course. Oh yeah, it's in Farnham too so you could drive past your old school when you collect it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Brooklands

Wiki link there so you can have a look and see why i think this era of models would be a better choice - the 4-speed auto came a decade later than i first thought, maybe i was thinking of Jaguar for the 4-speed box (i think the XJ-S gained a 4-speed when it morphed into the XJS HE circa 1983) but there are other improvements for the Brooklands over the 8 so worth thinking about. Maybe our RR font of knowledge can cast his eye over the listing to see if there are any pitfalls?
This does look a better buy. The paintwork needs some attention, but presumably that would be minimal and a half decent local chappie should be able to sort without much difficulty.

The mot history shows minimal use in recent years, but it does show issues with brakes and suspension. It does suggest it has been run on a shoestring, but at that price point most of them will have in recent years. If I was in the market, it is one I would seriously consider and at least go to view. The colour scheme is the most desirable on a Brooklands.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:52   #6202
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That does indeed look like a nice motor car Dave. It looks like it failed to sell at a previous auction offering in Aug 21, but in the video from that attempt it looks nice:

https://youtu.be/Q0YSc7rzR_E?si=Vs1dgSM9O5E7sH6d

... it is a 1996 motor car though Dave, and so at least a decade younger than I'm looking for. A 1970s or early 80s like my uncle Eric's RR is what I'd like.

Alan
YouTube video from previous auction house
https://youtu.be/Q0YSc7rzR_E

From the listing Alan ^^^^^ - i suspect he bought it from there and has owned it for a couple of years and has decided to move it on.

There are others but i just found one on fleabay - under the warranty length it had "Caveat Emptor"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235492676492

Not seen an MoT station for 6 years either!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 12:00   #6203
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Another one for you Alan, you'll have to be quick though as the MoT expires on saturday!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204678537714

It's a 1971 model, has had clean passes on the MoT for several years, only done 73k miles and has what i believe were USA spec (or could be added to UK spec) side marker lights which are always useful on something that long.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 12:06   #6204
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Another one for you Alan, you'll have to be quick though as the MoT expires on saturday!

It's a 1971 model, has had clean passes on the MoT for several years, only done 73k miles and has what i believe were USA spec (or could be added to UK spec) side marker lights which are always useful on something that long.
A good valet and a bit of re- Connollising would lift its appeal no end!😀
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 14:16   #6205
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:

The side marker lights were common on T-series/Shadows; I remember seeing several examples in daylight and assumes they were simply reflectors rather than proper navigation lights!

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 14:29   #6206
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
The side marker lights were common on T-series/Shadows; I remember seeing several examples in daylight and assumes they were simply reflectors rather than proper navigation lights!
Thinking about it, i think RR fitted them as standard but the UKDM revolted and said they didn't want them so were only fitted to order on UK models. At least that's what i think happened, might be wrong.

Didn't get many Rollers floating about where i lived when i was a kid, those that could afford them didn't go out because of advancing years, those that couldn't had different cars.

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 16:29   #6207
Moomoo
VOC Member

Bit of slap but not bad at that money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166683589...Bk9SR9zPn6TTYw
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 16:54   #6208
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Bit of slap but not bad at that money.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166683589...Bk9SR9zPn6TTYw
On the strength of the photo's that does look unmolested and honest. Don't let Dave see the Rover dealer sign they also have listed.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 17:09   #6209
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
On the strength of the photo's that does look unmolested and honest. Don't let Dave see the Rover dealer sign they also have listed.
I won’t tell him if you don’t. Tee-hee!😁
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 22:32   #6210
360beast
Go redblock or go home

As you know Alan I've worked and driven RR & Bentley's from the 1920's to the Bentayga in 2019.

They are quite literally the most boring cars I've ever driven, completely lifeless steering with no feedback, slow as sin until the turbo R. The fast ones like the Continental GT and Bentayga etc I couldn't find a nice driving position and have very limited visibility, they're very quick but it's delivered in yet another lifeless way that doesn't engage you in any way, there's no flare to it and the ride is crashy. Air suspension struts were becoming a common failure point when I left.

The arnage is the only car that's ever made me feel car sick WHILE DRIVING!!! The 70's onwards "wood" trim is just a veneer over plywood, they are incredibly thirsty, brakes can be interesting, especially those on the silver clouds/S type as they have a mechanical servo that doesn't assist very well at low speeds, nearly every single cloud or S type that came in needed brake work of some description.

If you want a car that's cheap and will be sold on after a year or so then I would recommend a Turbo R because atleast it's got some oomph behind it and steers okay. I would avoid the BMW/VAG cars as they're cheap junk and very expensive to maintain, even a basic service will set you back some serious dosh. You're probably going to end up spending on the hydraulic system in some way during ownership.

The silver clouds and S types are vile, I absolutely hated road testing them as I just seemed to constantly be sawing at the wheel trying to keep it straight, some had no seatbelts and those that do it's a lap belt so I didn't feel safe. They're just not a nice driving experience at all and I drove at least two a week so it's not just a couple of bad examples. I drove a Chinese eye S type that I was asked to road test, the customer didn't say the brakes were shot though so I went flying out at a T junction with the handbrake on and me stamping on the brakes as hard as I could, thankfully nobody was coming.

The only ones I genuinely enjoyed driving were the Bentley Derbys and the 1940's Wraith, both are manual gearboxes. Derbys are great fun as they are quite peppy motors. The pedals are very close together though so I had to drive them with no shoes on, might be a squeeze for you as I'm 6ft and you're taller than me.

Anyway just the late night ramblings with probably no structure at all of a very tired man with a beard

Last edited by 360beast; Apr 1st, 2024 at 22:34.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: