Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

When it rain is POURS (AC leaking into footwell)

Views : 584

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 6th, 2020, 06:52   #1
drjarmin

Default When it rain is POURS (AC leaking into footwell)

Hello all,

Found I have TWO leaks into the cabin. One from the roof rack - will remove and seal when I have the time but seems to be not too bad.

The other from the AC pipe in the top right hand corner of the passenger footwell (RHD 2013 XC90). If i don't run the AC the footwell remains dry. If the AC is on the footwell will be sloshing water in about 40 mins.

Trawling Google and this forum this seems to be a common issue but I haven't managed to find out how to stop this from leaking. The pipe doesn't seem to be cracked that I can see. Any advice? Thanks.
drjarmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 00:48   #2
binty

Smile Air in drain?

Hi,
The heater/air on system has two drains as I recall.
Both in the passenger footwell.
One is from the fan at the left hand side and drains through the side of the car, the other from the aircon drip tray in the centre console area which drains through the front bulkhead.
I suspect this one is either damaged or blocked.

If you unclip the carpet on the transmission tunnel side and remove the plastic shield under the glove box, (2x Torx screws) you can pull the top corner of the carpet back and see it. It is a black rubber pipe about an inch in diameter and 5 inches long that pushes onto the white plastic of the aircon unit and exits via the front bulkhead.
May be worth pulling it off the aircon unit and pouring some water through to make sure it is flowing freely and also sealing firmly on the aircon unit. It is just a push fit at the aircon end but sealed into the bulkhead I think.
hope this helps.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 05:56   #3
drjarmin

Thanks Binty, this really helps. I had stripped out the carpet and panel as u mentioned and did find the black pipe in the top right dripping profusely. I just wasn’t sure how to proceed and didn’t want to make things worse. Will give this a go this weekend.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 10:21   #4
binty

Smile Sounds blocked

Hi
You are welcome.
It sounds like it is blocked so I would clean it out first.
Maybe a piece of smaller plastic tube, a long cable tie or anything that will bend and flex but not damage the rubber.
Where it exits the car is difficult to see, turbo on top, subframe and covers below so poking it through first then pouring water through may clear it and is probably easiest option.

When it is clear and you park up with aircon on you should see a nice big patch of water on the floor under the middle of he car as the condensate drains away.

One final thing reach down the side of the carpet near to the tube. It is very deep foam underneath. If it is wet you will need to take the carpet out to dry it.
It is quite easy and I have posted this recently but if you struggle just ask.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 09:14   #5
drjarmin

Wanted to close off this thread as I've managed to solve both issues with all the help here.

1. Leaking from top of cabin

I couldn't find a source of the leak but removed the cover of the roof rack and removed the bolts. Propped up the rack a bit and applied liberal amounts of clear silicon. Appears to have solved the issue - no further leaking.

I think the roof rack was over tightened causing it to leak.

2. Drenched footwell.

As instructed above, got access to the drain tube. Tried to unblock it using a cable puller but couldn't get around the bend that must be in the firewall. Couldn't really easily locate the end of the tube under the car.

Blasted it with compressed air and a cockroach (well bits of) debris was found under the car so i guess this was the issue. Working fine now.

Note: Removing the plastic cover where the door lip meets the carpet was harder than I thought and broke some of the plastic lugs. That said, checking under the carpet - it was dry despite the footwell being flooded. As described above that plastic trim DOES need to be pulled down or the lugs will snap on the horizontal piece. Don't pull it directly off the bodywork.
The Following User Says Thank You to drjarmin For This Useful Post: