Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner looking for help please.

Views : 1138

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2020, 22:05   #1
currymunster

Default New owner looking for help please.

Hi every one.
Just bought a 2004 XC90 D5 163.
Only paid a grand but had to drive it 350 miles to get it home.
Any way a few things to do. One of which is the anti skid service required.
First I thought I'd address the difficult start and thought I'd clean the egr. What a pain to get out. All bolts of undone but took ages to work out how to manoeuvre it out.
Still yet to clean it but here goes with the questions.
Should there be a gasket where it joins the manifold. Two bolts.
Does anyone know where I can find the actual locations of the wires. Someone else has been here before and things aren't as they should be.
Offcut of pipe found under the air filter box. Anyone recognise it?
Pictures enclosed
Does any one know where that long pipe with the yellow bung is supposed to go? I just found it could up.
Front drivers side ABS cable not secuted. Does anyone know where that plastic channel goes.
It's not even secured in the arch properly and the FOS drag link is snapped. Maybe that's the culprit for the anti skid service required. (Year right!...lol)
Pictures are on there way....I promise 👍👍👍
Thanks
James

Edit, photos done. Also, last photo, sold out have a plug going in it... What is it. It's next to the ABS plug front of side. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200810_174036.jpg (228.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 20200810_174112.jpg (212.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 20200810_174057.jpg (226.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 20200810_174052.jpg (223.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 20200810_190138.jpg (218.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by currymunster; Aug 10th, 2020 at 22:13.
currymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 22:38   #2
gmonag
Premier Member

Last picture - ignore it. It is for something not fitted - I forget what.
The long tube with the bung is part of the vacuum system - controls the engine pads and the turbo inlet vanes. It should connect to the control valve next to the left headlight.
Can't help with the rest ATM
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 23:21   #3
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Last picture - ignore it. It is for something not fitted - I forget what.
The long tube with the bung is part of the vacuum system - controls the engine pads and the turbo inlet vanes. It should connect to the control valve next to the left headlight.
Can't help with the rest ATM
thank you.
I see the engine mounts have a pipe going to each one but I have since found a pipe with a t piece and not blocked. I assume that maybe the code p0244.
I also have one for the MAP and one for the MAF but I believe the EGR cleaning that I'm doing well solve that.

Thanks for you input. When I took the EGR of I heard a metal sound fall. Wondered if it might have been a gasket where the EGR joins the Flexi pipe at the back of the engine on to the manifold with two bolts.
Suppose I'll have to take the under engine tray of to see.
Thanks for you help 😊
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 07:36   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The plastic ducting providing some ABS sensor cable protection is clipped into place at the tp and just hangs freely. I cabletied mine into a more secure position to prevent ABS sensor cable damage.

The blocked off vacuum line implies someone discovered a cavuum leak and just disconnected and blocked the line, instead of fixing the vacuum leak.
Often the engine mounts, being vacuum controlled, leak. So check the 3 x engine mounts and their vacuum lines.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 11:14   #5
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
The plastic ducting providing some ABS sensor cable protection is clipped into place at the tp and just hangs freely. I cabletied mine into a more secure position to prevent ABS sensor cable damage.

The blocked off vacuum line implies someone discovered a cavuum leak and just disconnected and blocked the line, instead of fixing the vacuum leak.
Often the engine mounts, being vacuum controlled, leak. So check the 3 x engine mounts and their vacuum lines.
Thanks. I've just read that it clips to the engine brace bar mount. If that's the case I removed it to access the EGR so I could have dislodged it myself without noticing.
I thought there was only two mounts with a vacuum pipe to it. Where is the third one?
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 13:59   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by currymunster View Post
Hi every one.
First I thought I'd address the difficult start and thought I'd clean the egr. What a pain to get out. All bolts of undone but took ages to work out how to manoeuvre it out.
Does anyone know where I can find the actual locations of the wires. Someone else has been here before and things aren't as they should be.
Pictures enclosed
Does any one know where that long pipe with the yellow bung is supposed to go? I just found it could up.
Front drivers side ABS cable not secuted. Does anyone know where that plastic channel goes.
It's not even secured in the arch properly and the FOS drag link is snapped. Maybe that's the culprit for the anti skid service required. (Year right!...lol)
Thanks
James

Edit, photos done. Also, last photo, sold out have a plug going in it... What is it. It's next to the ABS plug front of side. Thanks
wow i hope you have £2500 set aside to sort someone else's problem car out . It will be fine when all fixed .
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 13:24   #7
gmonag
Premier Member

Quote:
I thought there was only two mounts with a vacuum pipe to it. Where is the third one?
There are only two mounts with vacuum. More importantly for your car the vacuum controls the turbo, so it is important to make sure the system is working.
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 18:40   #8
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Hi every one.
Pictures enclosed
Thanks
James

Picture 1 - no idea
Picture 2 - its an off cut off something - bin it if everything else works
Picture 3 & 4 - Definitely the vacuum engine mounts - the rear mount and front mounts should hit a t piece under the iar intake pipes and the single pipe should travel up to an electronic valve that hangs on the front of the air box.
Picture 5 - ignore - its for a part not fitted.

Hope this is of help and my advise re the issues is to just steadily work through them one by one.

My Cheap volvo was bought with 11 faults on VIDA and I spent a grand sorting all of them.

Well worth it as you will have a great car once you have got to the bottom of each fault.

Nigel.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2020, 20:47   #9
currymunster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
There are only two mounts with vacuum. More importantly for your car the vacuum controls the turbo, so it is important to make sure the system is working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMB View Post
Picture 1 - no idea
Picture 2 - its an off cut off something - bin it if everything else works
Picture 3 & 4 - Definitely the vacuum engine mounts - the rear mount and front mounts should hit a t piece under the iar intake pipes and the single pipe should travel up to an electronic valve that hangs on the front of the air box.
Picture 5 - ignore - its for a part not fitted.

Hope this is of help and my advise re the issues is to just steadily work through them one by one.

My Cheap volvo was bought with 11 faults on VIDA and I spent a grand sorting all of them.

Well worth it as you will have a great car once you have got to the bottom of each fault.

Nigel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
wow i hope you have £2500 set aside to sort someone else's problem car out . It will be fine when all fixed .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post

Well this is interesting. I wonder why this was done?
I didn't notice it when I took it out to clean the EGR.
Faulty switch?
At the moment they are all connected at the same time with a t price that had one bit with nothing on it.
That will be leaking i assume.
I'll get to the bottom of it all.
Does any one know which one of the inlets is the inlet and outlet to the mounts ?....lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200813_183458.jpg (91.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by currymunster; Aug 13th, 2020 at 21:21.
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 09:47   #10
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

My guess is the vacuum amounts of had it so they have been disconnected. You can buy pattern parts to replace them for about £60 each. They are a bit of a fiddle to replace though.

This is probably why they have been disconnected.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote