Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83272

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 27th, 2020, 17:31   #741
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Jumping back significantly, I have a query about the car's bodywork. (I hadn't read your thread at the time it was posted).

I read that you had to remove mm's of filler from all over the body work, but are going for an exposed finish, showing the metal off.

Was the filler not there for a reason, ie to fill dents. Did you have to do a significant amount of repair to the bodywork to be able to do the exposed finish you wanted. It wasn't apparent from the posts that much in the way in dent repair was carried out. You documented the replacement sections for the corrosion, but I didn't see anything related to this, but may have missed it.

I haven't any experience of this sort of thing, but if the panel was damaged to the extent that it had plenty of filler on it, I would have thought it difficult to return it to a state that you would want to show off ?
You are correct in saying that there was no dent removal.

I'm working on the principle that the dents are character...

....bit of a dodgy idea. I'm not sure if it will work out yet.

The cold grey metal colour is very flat. It probably needs some colour.

We'll see.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 01:34   #742
Rocinante
Master Member

I know you've had some flak about the bare metal finish, but for what it's worth, I quite like it. I hadn't noticed obvious damage from the photographs I'd seen and that's why I assumed there was undocumented repairs carried out.

Not so sure about the "pinstripes" with the bare metal finish though, but I'm sure it'll look good whatever you decide.

Just need to get your workshop finished.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2020, 11:04   #743
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I know you've had some flak about the bare metal finish, but for what it's worth, I quite like it. I hadn't noticed obvious damage from the photographs I'd seen and that's why I assumed there was undocumented repairs carried out.

Not so sure about the "pinstripes" with the bare metal finish though, but I'm sure it'll look good whatever you decide.

Just need to get your workshop finished.
Thinking about it:- There was at least one dent on the car that had been filled with silly amounts of filler that was easily pushed out by hand but hardly any real hammer and dolly dent removal has been done...

...the process of removing all of that filler was a pain in the arse. It did however reveal what I felt was a really nice old car. It is in really good condition for a car that has been used and abused.

The filler was so bad bumps and the scrapes seemed really friendly and characterful. Once allof that plastic crap was removed I felt like the battle scars deserved to be shown.

It is strange but the matte clear coat feels amazing - when you touch the dents and the scrapes the car feels friendly...

...it is weird but I'm kinda in love with it (!) at the moment.

I might decide I don't like after all, however, and paint it properly like a grown up. In which case at least I've done a load of preparation...
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 09:59   #744
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Massive delays

Not a great start to 2021

Since about the middle of December it has been too cold for the final but crucial finishing off jobs for the workshop. Epoxy floor paint won't dry unless it is warmer than 10 degrees - epoxy primer needs at least 5 degrees and now we're back to the "beast from the east" again!

To top the problems the Dutch government have introduced a curfew which means I probably won't have enough time to get to the place where the Volvo (and other assorted junk) is stored with out falling foul of the rules. So I'm waiting for that to pass.

There's lots of impatient waiting at the moment.

Still one can almost always count on the VKV club to send you something nice through the post at this time of year =>

Yeah OK - a letter opener - not much call for those things any more in this digital age - but still nice to have something cheerful drop in your letter box...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo club gift.jpg (131.1 KB, 122 views)
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 10:14   #745
norustplease

We don't have a curfew, but the police are going around local visitor spots such as parks, seafronts, etc. asking people arriving in cars how far they have come.

If your car finish is semi matt, then you probably won't see any minor dents or ripples. It is usually the gloss coat that gives the game away with distorted reflections.
norustplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 09:59   #746
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by norustplease View Post
We don't have a curfew, but the police are going around local visitor spots such as parks, seafronts, etc. asking people arriving in cars how far they have come.

If your car finish is semi matt, then you probably won't see any minor dents or ripples. It is usually the gloss coat that gives the game away with distorted reflections.
Oh these dents will be visible. That's reason for doing it. Some parts look like the cracked surface of an ancient mediterranean mountain goat herder's face!
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 10:02   #747
Rocinante
Master Member

Looking forward to updates once, the weather allows.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2021, 19:17   #748
kishor

Thumbs up Pv544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
G'day Folks,

I've recently bought something by accident.

I was looking for a MK1 Transit van but somehow or other I've ended up with a "Katterug" - Katterug is what the Dutch call the PV444 / PV544 models...

...'Cos I'm English I don't quite know why they hit upon that one (!)

Anyway - this ended up being mine because I jokingly asked if it was for sale - and then jokingly said "I suppose you want 10K for it". Unfortunately the answer to the first question was "yes" - the second answer was "no" - but even worse - the number that followed was so low I felt compelled to take on yet another vehicle.

It must be a sickness.

Well anyway 'ere it is.

On the whole it is amazingly solid despite being left out side for so long that there's moss growing on the trim.

It is road legal.

It has got some problems that even a Volvo virgin like myself can see...

Hi. If you deciding on selling it, please give me a call. Ta kassie 00447828879494
kishor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 09:19   #749
Army
marches on his stomach

Mini update

I have finally got three of my four vehicles moved to the place where I am now living. The new workshop is still in an unfinished state: The cost of building materials have gotten too expensive (people are blaming COVID - I blame greed! Sheet material used to cost me 8 euros 50 cent a sheet now they cost 22 euros 50 !)

I decided I just need to carry on with life as best I can - even though it isn't ideal the garage is now full of my automotive junk and the bare chassis / shells have now been moved...

...I'm doing my best to keep house prices affordable in my area by adding in lots of nice blue plastic =>

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cars being transported.jpg (247.1 KB, 54 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 15:54   #750
Army
marches on his stomach

Unexpected progress (!)

Managed to get the PV in the new workshop today (needed to lift it up and into the workshop becasue I still haven't built the slope I should have built <= hopeless)

In the next few days I hope to go over it with a fine toothed comb and look for damage and see how the clear coat on bare steel is working out.

Whilst the car wasn't left outside it was in a very damp place for two years (land lord had a brainwave and removed the roof from the building - some of the roof was replaced but then he directed rain from the gutters INSIDE the building <= total retard. There were and still are several internal waterfalls in that building - which is built on sand - which often moves when saturated - honestly I could rant all day about that effing pillock)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 safely in new workshop.jpg (374.5 KB, 48 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Army For This Useful Post: