Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

08' V50 2.0d starting problems

Views : 623

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 11:52   #1
Kernowdigger

Default 08' V50 2.0d starting problems

Morning all,

Have had my v50 for a few months now and all was going well until I stopped using it as much in the week and went to start it.

It would crank over for ages until it would finally start and once started it was then easy to start again and again until left for a day and I was back to square one.

I asked a friend who has a s40 with the same engine and he said the throttle body can cause issues, and could do with a clean.

Days later I have again tried starting with no prevail, so I removed the Tb and cleaned it. I've then got to start again and it appears the battery has gone flat from cranking so much and now have a message on the dash saying 'immobiliser try start again'.

The car unlocks with both keys, lights come on radio works, everything but the engine cranking.

Ive checked the plugs on the cem in the passenger footwell, I've banged the key a few times with the handle of a paint brush lol I've taken the Tb off again and tapered the edges as I think this was the initial problem.

Could anybody shed any light as it's pi**ING me right off.

Thanks,

Alex
Kernowdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 11:05   #2
savabill
Master Member

What sort of service history has the car got? When was the fuel filter last changed?

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 21:28   #3
BengFilip

I had a very similar problem, air was getting in to the fuel line if I parked facing up hill it solved the problem. Eventually the real cause became apparent and fuel leaked out of the metal fuel line under the car. I had to drop the sub frame to get access to the leak and patch it, I also replaced the clutch, dmf and crank seal.
Check the fuel lines for air bubbles, read up about how to bleed the fuel system - it drove me mad until I bought a simple inline hand pump.
BengFilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 15:23   #4
The Thong
VOC Member

The butterfly housing aka throttle body issue really only effects the E4 model with a single inlet to the inlet manifold. You need to get it linked to Vida (volvo diagnostics) to get an idea what’s failed. Your issues could be Fuel delivery, battery condition, butterfly housing (depending on your generation of car), CEM module, immobiliser. You need a better picture of the fault. Sorry I can’t be much more help.

TT

Tags
immobiliser, throttle body, v50