Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 31917

Replies : 793

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2021, 13:58   #701
Thekilt
Senior Member
 
Thekilt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 11:34
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Wareham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's a high starting price for a car that's been sat a minimum of 6 months and has no MoT though.

Will be surprised if it gets any bids, if it does it's likely to be from a dealer who is hoping to turn a fast buck - watch out for this one reappearing in a different location in the future at a higher price, all polished up, new wheel trims and a years MoT on it!
I would have thought the mileage (if accurate) would have some positive impact on the price.

Looking at the MOT history there has been no advisories for rust, the worst thing is it had 11 year old tyres on, but looking at the history not much mileage between MOTs.

I would be tempted if it was easy enough for me to get it, but its just not convienient at the moment. Hoping to find something more local and driveable back from wherever it is. It would be a risk booking it in for an MOT on collection.
__________________
Current: Jaguar XF Sportbrake white 2.2d sport
Ex: Volvo V50 T5, Volvo V70 T5, V40 T2 2.0 Inscription 2016
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 14:33   #702
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 12:03
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
I would have thought the mileage (if accurate) would have some positive impact on the price.

Looking at the MOT history there has been no advisories for rust, the worst thing is it had 11 year old tyres on, but looking at the history not much mileage between MOTs.

I would be tempted if it was easy enough for me to get it, but its just not convienient at the moment. Hoping to find something more local and driveable back from wherever it is. It would be a risk booking it in for an MOT on collection.
If i was to buy it, i'd book it for MoT locally on the afternoon of collection then collect in the morning, drive it back to my area and straight in for MoT - pass or fail i'm legally covered all the way then.

However, given the fact it's stood for 6 months plus, there is a good chance the brakes may have siezed on (especially the handbrake if it's been used), if it's been parked on grass, it could be as rotten as a 3-week old curry left in the sun.
Also electrical contacts may have oxidised making certain things not work so there could be a lot of silly problems that would make it a risk driving to the MoT station, whether near or far from the pick up point.

For someone who lives in/near Canterbury and has a favourite MoT station nearby, not a problem. They've just bought the car, taking it for a prearranged test and then home to either repair and retest or straight into use, depending on the result of the test.

You and i both know all of this and also that there's a fair chance that aside from a bulb failure or similar, it would go more or less straight through the test, especially if it had a bit of a drive to help get the brakes back to moving/working as they should.

However the general buying public would view it simply as a 30 ish year old car that needs collecting on a trailer or similar, pushing the price up by 200+++ making it a grand minimum to buy and get it home.

Even simply collecting it from where you are, you're looking at a minimum of a 350 mile round trip, call it 360 to make the maths easy and your vehicle to collect and drive back separately does 30mpg and assume the Volvo does 30mpg on the same run. That's 12 gallons for your vehicle to get there and back and 6 gallons to get this one back - 18 gallons at ~6/gallon currently is another 108 just on fuel, without "incidentals" such as a quick feed/coffee at a motorway service station, about another 20 (Call it 22 for the maths) so up to 130 already. Granted you and a friend/partner/spouse may have had a day out but the cost remains.
Then there's the MoT of 54.85 so near as makes no odds, 185 by now. We're 15 short of the magic grand now and i'm sure that would probably go on a takeaway in the evening so you'd had a dinner without cooking.

Makes it an expensive gamble, if it needs 500 worth of repairs for the MoT it now holds 1500 of your hard-earned and even with an MoT and all polished up nicely, any dings/scratches attended to would still probably only be an 1800-2500 car, even with the lower mileage.
If you're buying it as a labour of love, that wouldn't be a problem but if the thought, however small, is in the back of your mind that one day you'd sell it and hope to make money, as it stands at the moment, you probably would but not much if at all.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 15:01   #703
Thekilt
Senior Member
 
Thekilt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 11:34
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Wareham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If i was to buy it, i'd book it for MoT locally on the afternoon of collection then collect in the morning, drive it back to my area and straight in for MoT - pass or fail i'm legally covered all the way then.

However, given the fact it's stood for 6 months plus, there is a good chance the brakes may have siezed on (especially the handbrake if it's been used), if it's been parked on grass, it could be as rotten as a 3-week old curry left in the sun.
Also electrical contacts may have oxidised making certain things not work so there could be a lot of silly problems that would make it a risk driving to the MoT station, whether near or far from the pick up point.

For someone who lives in/near Canterbury and has a favourite MoT station nearby, not a problem. They've just bought the car, taking it for a prearranged test and then home to either repair and retest or straight into use, depending on the result of the test.

You and i both know all of this and also that there's a fair chance that aside from a bulb failure or similar, it would go more or less straight through the test, especially if it had a bit of a drive to help get the brakes back to moving/working as they should.

However the general buying public would view it simply as a 30 ish year old car that needs collecting on a trailer or similar, pushing the price up by 200+++ making it a grand minimum to buy and get it home.

Even simply collecting it from where you are, you're looking at a minimum of a 350 mile round trip, call it 360 to make the maths easy and your vehicle to collect and drive back separately does 30mpg and assume the Volvo does 30mpg on the same run. That's 12 gallons for your vehicle to get there and back and 6 gallons to get this one back - 18 gallons at ~6/gallon currently is another 108 just on fuel, without "incidentals" such as a quick feed/coffee at a motorway service station, about another 20 (Call it 22 for the maths) so up to 130 already. Granted you and a friend/partner/spouse may have had a day out but the cost remains.
Then there's the MoT of 54.85 so near as makes no odds, 185 by now. We're 15 short of the magic grand now and i'm sure that would probably go on a takeaway in the evening so you'd had a dinner without cooking.

Makes it an expensive gamble, if it needs 500 worth of repairs for the MoT it now holds 1500 of your hard-earned and even with an MoT and all polished up nicely, any dings/scratches attended to would still probably only be an 1800-2500 car, even with the lower mileage.
If you're buying it as a labour of love, that wouldn't be a problem but if the thought, however small, is in the back of your mind that one day you'd sell it and hope to make money, as it stands at the moment, you probably would but not much if at all.
A lot of good points above. Hense why that distance doesnt make sese for me, and the fact i want a sallon version! It all soon adds up adn then soem of the ones aroudn 1500-2000 with MOT and running nicely seem better value, especially if they are closer for collection.
__________________
Current: Jaguar XF Sportbrake white 2.2d sport
Ex: Volvo V50 T5, Volvo V70 T5, V40 T2 2.0 Inscription 2016
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 15:22   #704
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 12:03
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
A lot of good points above. Hense why that distance doesnt make sese for me, and the fact i want a sallon version! It all soon adds up adn then soem of the ones aroudn 1500-2000 with MOT and running nicely seem better value, especially if they are closer for collection.
That bears out my original point of 800 being a high starting price for one without an MoT, i think many people will view exactly as you have and decide it's not worth it.

To be fair, anything over 30-50 miles away with no MoT needs trailering if only for your own peace of mind, up to that distance, "You've just bought it and taking it for a pre-booked test then home after". If the question arises about it being a bit far from home, it didn't look that far on the map and you'd already committed to buy it.

Trailer hire last time i hired one (2013) was about 70 for the day. Factor in the time and fuel for collecting said vehicle etc and it begins to get impractical for anything over about 200 miles use (each way) in a single day so there's only a small window of opportunity.

As you particularly want a saloon, this one wouldn't be in the running for you but makes an interesting example of setting search limits etc when looking for another car.
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 20:10   #705
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 10:53
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If the question arises about it being a bit far from home, it didn't look that far on the map and you'd already committed to buy it..
That reminds me of soon after I moved to Virginia (15 years ago), I bid what I thought was a ridiculously low price for a Ford Ranger V6 - and won the auction. I checked the location, to find it was just inside New Hampshire - it didnt look that far on the map (the only map I had handy was the states map stuck to the fridge).

Six hours on a train the next morn got me there, the dealer collected me at the station and it took 8 hours to drive home. I checked the truck over the next morn to find Id had no lights at the back all the way! Fortunately roadworthiness is much more liberally interpreted in the USA - it was easy to get the truck through the Virginia light and brake test (sort of MoT, but much less demanding) and I drove the truck for the 3 years i lived there.

After that I checked the distance from home more carefully every time i bought another car or bike!

Alan :-)
__________________
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 11th, 2021, 23:06   #706
Laird Scooby
Premier Member
 
Laird Scooby's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 12:03
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lakenheath
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
That reminds me of soon after I moved to Virginia (15 years ago), I bid what I thought was a ridiculously low price for a Ford Ranger V6 - and won the auction. I checked the location, to find it was just inside New Hampshire - it didnt look that far on the map (the only map I had handy was the states map stuck to the fridge).

Six hours on a train the next morn got me there, the dealer collected me at the station and it took 8 hours to drive home. I checked the truck over the next morn to find Id had no lights at the back all the way! Fortunately roadworthiness is much more liberally interpreted in the USA - it was easy to get the truck through the Virginia light and brake test (sort of MoT, but much less demanding) and I drove the truck for the 3 years i lived there.

After that I checked the distance from home more carefully every time i bought another car or bike!

Alan :-)
You were lucky Alan! Could have been even further away!

Had a similar one with something i bought on fleabay many moons ago allegedly from Cambridge. They gave me the first line of their address and the village name which (not knoiwng Cambridge all that well) i thought was a district of the city.

Got there and phoned for directions and it turned out the village they lived in was near Peterborough in Cambridgeshire. Some people refuse to acknowledge the difference between the county town and the county.

They lost the sale as i wasn't about to add a 120 mile round trip to my journey for something i could buy new and have delivered for less than the cost of the petrol to go and collect the item from them and pay for it on top.

Not quite the same scale and more their mistake than mine for not knowing where they lived but same general idea.

I now double-check if it says something ambiguous on the location exactly where it is, after all there are many places with duplicated names in different parts of the country (for example, 3x St Ives, at least 2x Watlington, Narborough, Fordham and a few others i can't bring to mind) and sometimes get a rude reply back saying it's in a certain area which gets an equally polite reply of "Oh, i thought it was in <different area>".
__________________
Cheers

Dave

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Rover 827 Sterling and a 765 GLEa V6!
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 06:11   #707
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 10:53
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You were lucky Alan! Could have been even further away!

Had a similar one with something i bought on fleabay many moons ago allegedly from Cambridge. They gave me the first line of their address and the village name which (not knoiwng Cambridge all that well) i thought was a district of the city.

Got there and phoned for directions and it turned out the village they lived in was near Peterborough in Cambridgeshire. Some people refuse to acknowledge the difference between the county town and the county.

They lost the sale as i wasn't about to add a 120 mile round trip to my journey for something i could buy new and have delivered for less than the cost of the petrol to go and collect the item from them and pay for it on top.

Not quite the same scale and more their mistake than mine for not knowing where they lived but same general idea.

I now double-check if it says something ambiguous on the location exactly where it is, after all there are many places with duplicated names in different parts of the country (for example, 3x St Ives, at least 2x Watlington, Narborough, Fordham and a few others i can't bring to mind) and sometimes get a rude reply back saying it's in a certain area which gets an equally polite reply of "Oh, i thought it was in <different area>".
... sort of lucky Dave - New Hampshire was about 400 miles away! I was new to eBay and new to the US at the time. It was an adventure to see the Eastern seaboard (both by train and truck) - so I went ahead with the purchase.

The Ford truck turned out to be marvellous: it had belonged to a builder and had a little ding in almost every panel - the dealer had taken it in a PX and wanted to get rid of it quickly so I bought it (for about $2,000 - then 1,000). I fixed the truck up a little bit and it became a vehicle of choice (although I also had a Mustang and a Mitsubishi SUV) for the next 3 years and 30,000 miles. It proved very popular amongst my neighbours (in a very well heeled suburb of DC) - there was always someone that wanted to borrow it to move a piano, dining room table or collect a load of mulch for their garden. At the end of my tour I sold it to a biking mate - I think for $2,000.



... interesting registration plates were much easier to obtain in Virginia:

__________________

Last edited by Othen; May 12th, 2021 at 06:27.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:05   #708
Othen
Premier Member
 
Othen's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 10:53
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Corby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
This one will be good to watch. Shame its not a saloon as I would be interested. No reserve and no but it now so no expectation from the seller. This will surely end at a reasonable price and put the others to shame.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240....m46890.l49286
... I'm guessing this one didn't get any bids at 800 because eBay has sent me an email saying it has been re-listed.
__________________
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:40   #709
Thekilt
Senior Member
 
Thekilt's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 11:34
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Wareham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I'm guessing this one didn't get any bids at 800 because eBay has sent me an email saying it has been re-listed.
Likewise, however it was only added that day on a 7 day auction. It stated it was removed due to an error in the listing, and looking at the original and the new listing, they have changed the location from London to Canterbury.
__________________
Current: Jaguar XF Sportbrake white 2.2d sport
Ex: Volvo V50 T5, Volvo V70 T5, V40 T2 2.0 Inscription 2016
Thekilt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thekilt For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:02   #710
Rocinante
Senior Member
 

Last Online: Today 11:33
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mystery Location
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
Likewise, however it was only added that day on a 7 day auction. It stated it was removed due to an error in the listing, and looking at the original and the new listing, they have changed the location from London to Canterbury.
This has also been added to the description in the new listing:
"I forgot to mention that this is the 7 seater model with the fold down seats in the rear compartment"
Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:08.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.