Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'96 850 2.5 20v running very rich....

Views : 1829

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 18:40   #21
sprocket

Just tried testing on pin 1 ignition module and its showing 1-1-1 no fault
sprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 18:51   #22
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Hi Chris, yeah unplugged the maf and the car runs fine thus confirming it is the maf I presume? Or would unplugging the maf affect something else to enable the car to run better?
Thanks again
If the car runs the same without the MAF sensor as it does with it, it means the ECU is running off presents because it assumes the MAF is duff.

I'd reset the ECU before condemning the MAF though. I once had teh MAF related code because my ignition was kaput. The ECU had obviously taken readings from the MAF and readings from the everything else, then decided that the MAF must be lying given the amount of oxygen still present in the exhaust according to the lambda sensor. I don't know why it was, but I just know that sorting the ignition and resetting everything convinced the ECU that the MAF was fine after all. I went on to do many thousands of trouble free miles in that car.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rippedoffagain For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 18:59   #23
sprocket

Car is undriveable with maf plugged in, once it's removed the car runs and drivers ok, have cleared all fault codes and tried running it with maf connected an fault code for faulty maf shows again after few minutes running
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 19:11   #24
kdan

im getting the same codes as you but mines running fast!!! im also getting 4-1-1 code tps??
kdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 19:11   #25
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Car is undriveable with maf plugged in, once it's removed the car runs and drivers ok, have cleared all fault codes and tried running it with maf connected an fault code for faulty maf shows again after few minutes running
Ok, sounds like you have your answer then. That's unlucky. MAF sensors are not cheap.

Have you tried cleaning it? I believe you can get proper MAF sensor cleaner, but any 'no residue' electrical contact cleaner should be ok, especially as you can't make it worse if its duff.

Failing that I guess I'd be looking for a second hand one.

Before you do anything else though, I'd be looking to see if there is a good reason for it failing. I'd be looking to see if the air cleaner is doing its job ok. There's no chance of filth sneaking past the filter element? Also I don't know about the 850 but on the early 940s there was a flappy thermostat thingy in the air box that brought in warm air from near the exhaust manifold until the it warmed up, then it would switch to cold air from the front, but the thermostat would fail causing it to permanently take hot air, which some claim was hot enough to fry the MAF.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rippedoffagain For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 19:37   #26
sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedoffagain View Post
Ok, sounds like you have your answer then. That's unlucky. MAF sensors are not cheap.

Have you tried cleaning it? I believe you can get proper MAF sensor cleaner, but any 'no residue' electrical contact cleaner should be ok, especially as you can't make it worse if its duff.

Failing that I guess I'd be looking for a second hand one.

Before you do anything else though, I'd be looking to see if there is a good reason for it failing. I'd be looking to see if the air cleaner is doing its job ok. There's no chance of filth sneaking past the filter element? Also I don't know about the 850 but on the early 940s there was a flappy thermostat thingy in the air box that brought in warm air from near the exhaust manifold until the it warmed up, then it would switch to cold air from the front, but the thermostat would fail causing it to permanently take hot air, which some claim was hot enough to fry the MAF.
Cheers for the cleaner idea, hadn't thought about that one, yeah the 850 has the warm air flap in the filter box too, I'll check it's operating correctly as I don't to be forking out again for another maf!!!! Filter is fitted correctly with no gaps etc at edges. Thanks again
Old Apr 21st, 2013, 20:50   #27
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Very unlikely if the dash temperature guage is still reading correctly though. It could be faulty, but not enough to cause the symptoms the OP is seeing. Also if the CTS was faulty why would the car report a MAF code?

I'm with Chris R - having gone to the trouble of building a code reader I'd tend to believe it and now be looking at the MAF.

Cheers!
My bad Luxo somehow missed that post with the codes lol
However I've just done a bad coolant sensor on an s70 where it was toiling to start from cold with a flagged code but gauge would work !!
But yes the return of the fault codes is a very good indication.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 13:07   #28
t+m

if you dont have a stuck injector then you need to find out why the ecu is adding so much fuel and its probably because it thinks its very cold,like the previous poster said.So you could unplug the coolant temp sensor and see if the ecu just substitutes a hot engine value or you could back probe the sensor and see what the return voltage is and compare it to the spec.or just fit a new one,they are only cheap. Check the fuel pressure to see if its too high,there is a tyre-type valve on the end of the fuel rail.
t+m is offline   Reply With Quote