Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should i fit a dump valve or a bov?

Views : 964

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 15th, 2009, 21:46   #1
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

Default Should i fit a dump valve or a bov?

Hi all,
I'm recently bought a 1997 S70 T5 having never had a volvo or a turbo engine before so i'm sorry if i'm asking stupid questions here, but here goes.
Will a dump valve or blow off valve help the efficiency and/or reduce wear to my turbo or engine and if so, which should i fit?
T5 GAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 00:21   #2
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi,

your car has a re-circulation valve fitted as standard. Fitting a dump valve or blow-off valve (same thing, I think?) will have no positive effect but if you like the noise it can be done. You need to remove the factory-fit re-circ valve if you do this, which can be fiddly :-)

HTH, Pete

PS If you want to hear more noise, you could try a freer flowing air filter in the stock air box, or go for a different intake system such as open cone or enclosed cone. This will allow more of the re-circ noise to come back up the inlet tract.
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 00:38   #3
smartbomb
VOC Member

Hi Gav. If your car is an auto then it's totally pointless fitting an atmospheric BOV. If you're just after the noise, then fit an open cone filter in place of the standard airbox.

Cheers
Paul

MANSFIELD FTW!!!
smartbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 19:59   #4
T5 GAV
Is the bestest.

i really don't want the noise, it sounds crap imo, i just wanted to preveny any unnecisary wear to my turbo. i spoke to a friend at work today who knows about turbos ( cos i know nowt about em) and he said the only way to kill a turbo is through dirty oil or by oil starvation from not leting it idle for a bit before i turn it off. I decided to leave it as it is as a result, but thanks for your replies.
T5 GAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 20:31   #5
Silverbrick
Deep sea Skiver!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5 GAV View Post
i really don't want the noise, it sounds crap imo, i just wanted to preveny any unnecisary wear to my turbo. i spoke to a friend at work today who knows about turbos ( cos i know nowt about em) and he said the only way to kill a turbo is through dirty oil or by oil starvation from not leting it idle for a bit before i turn it off. I decided to leave it as it is as a result, but thanks for your replies.
The best idea I did a bit of fiddling with an Impreza Turbo I had, before they became chavvy , and the "chissing" of even the standard DV was bloody irritating after a very short while
Don`t put any Slick 50 in either, I`m convinced that killed a Turbo on my RS Turbo by blocking the oilway