Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

downpipe and exhaust 2008 c70 problems

Views : 792

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 16th, 2016, 19:37   #1
jonnyboy54321

Default downpipe and exhaust 2008 c70 problems

So, had the Mrs' C70 on a ramp today to check out the vibration(s), separate thread. 2008 2.4i SE Lux Auto

Exhaust is blowing from the downpipe. Yes, the cat-included downpipe. Car does feel down on power which of course it would. Exhaust isn't holed but looks original so probably not long for this world.

Stunned to find nobody doing factor parts.

Even more stunned at the trade price for the downpipe. £685 plus Vat exchange.
Exhaust 3 parts totalled £661 plus Vat trade. Oh, and a 4 week lead time.

It's a ***take even by main dealer standards.

I'm sure I can't be the only one to come across this problem. Spoke to a local Longlife branch - they can do a stainless system (catback) for £380 plus vat but won't touch the front pipe. Wouldn't harm on performance either of course.

Has anyone here used anyone for stainless or got any suggestions as I ain't paying £1500 for a bl**dy exhaust for nobody!!

Many thanks all
jonnyboy54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 11:41   #2
dme123
Master Member

Can you see how it ended up with a hole? Stainless steel exhausts pretty much last for the life of a car these days, the only thing that ever breaks on downpipes is the flexi section but your car is too young for that really. Big mileages?

Also check that the mounts are OK, if one of those is broken so the pipe can jump around that might cause it to break.
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 14:43   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

go aftermarket and get custom work done, cheapest and most work come with some long guarantee on them. I just had a full exhaust system fitted on mine, am going to get a custom downpipe done as well ... all cheaper than volvo and will probably last longer.

If its got to be changed ... why not change it for something better

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 18:57   #4
jonnyboy54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
Can you see how it ended up with a hole? Stainless steel exhausts pretty much last for the life of a car these days, the only thing that ever breaks on downpipes is the flexi section but your car is too young for that really. Big mileages?

Also check that the mounts are OK, if one of those is broken so the pipe can jump around that might cause it to break.
Yes we're looking into that when she's in the air for that wishbone. It possibly is from the flexi. Car has done 45k
Old Mar 17th, 2016, 18:58   #5
jonnyboy54321

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
go aftermarket and get custom work done, cheapest and most work come with some long guarantee on them. I just had a full exhaust system fitted on mine, am going to get a custom downpipe done as well ... all cheaper than volvo and will probably last longer.

If its got to be changed ... why not change it for something better
My thoughts exactly, especially as it can't really be mapped being a non-turbo, so may as well assist with the breathing if we can.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyboy54321 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 14:32   #6
jonnyboy54321

Spoke to a national company who do stainless, they gave a decent price for the exhaust "but I dont touch downpipes mate". Helpful.
Been to see an independent who does stainless welding today. Teh exhaust could be serviceable for a bit longer, theres a flexi blow somewhere on the front pipe. He reckoned that they way forward was build a new downpipe with a 100 cell cat in it but then he'd need to get his pal to remap it because it could trigger an EML.
Really confused now as he had a half decent price for the welding but not when you add in £300 for said remap.
Starting to think it might be worth getting it done as a de-cat with map with at this point as I don't want to be chucking £1200 to it.
Thoughts?
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 21:47   #7
jonnyboy54321

Hi all
Reviving this a bit.
Got a stainless system custom built - its too loud for what the car is so going back next week for an extra box.
Got an EML due to cat being missing *cough* no limp mode.
Could whack in a race cat but are there other options ? Spacers etc?
Remap I have had a quote for and he can 'lose' the second lambda so no CEL but its quite expensive, although he reckons 15hp or so gain.

Thoughts?

Appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyboy54321 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 08:43   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy54321 View Post
Hi all
Reviving this a bit.
Got a stainless system custom built - its too loud for what the car is so going back next week for an extra box.
Got an EML due to cat being missing *cough* no limp mode.
Could whack in a race cat but are there other options ? Spacers etc?
Remap I have had a quote for and he can 'lose' the second lambda so no CEL but its quite expensive, although he reckons 15hp or so gain.

Thoughts?

Appreciated.
Yeh get a sport cat on there, I have one. noise is still good

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 21:16   #9
jonnyboy54321

I was away and he's already modified the box layout so it now sounds right.
How easy/possible is it to map out the 2nd lambda, or is there a special spacer or something?
I had thought about having the car remapped but its non-turbo so been told its 15/20hp gain maximum. Was bl**dy expensive at £349 (including the lambda delete) and I am far from convinced he was sure he could do it...
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 11:48   #10
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyboy54321 View Post
I was away and he's already modified the box layout so it now sounds right.
How easy/possible is it to map out the 2nd lambda, or is there a special spacer or something?
I had thought about having the car remapped but its non-turbo so been told its 15/20hp gain maximum. Was bl**dy expensive at £349 (including the lambda delete) and I am far from convinced he was sure he could do it...
If a remap with no physical alteration can genuinely get 190bhp from that NASP 2.4i I'll eat my hat and my mittens too.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote