Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm malfunction message

Views : 5489

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2022, 23:13   #11
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60Pstar View Post
Thanks for the info.

I do love the car and thoroughly enjoy driving it, but I've had several issues with the electrics over the years and it's getting tiresome. Still, I'll keep it for a few years longer
Likewise...........I bought my 2015 one in early 2016 a few miles after it had been registered by the dealer. Mechanically and driving experience superb, but the electrical/ electronic unreliability has become tedious. I could never have left it at an airport for a week like I used to with the Mondeo ST220 Estate company car I had before, the battery would have been completely flat.

To be fair, nothing to do with the Polestar bits; all V60s of that era with the same equipment must be equally unreliable.

Last edited by GrahamHR; Mar 7th, 2022 at 23:15.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 11:08   #12
bluey_xc90

Another 2015 Polestar v60 owner here - had some flakey electrical issues myself, actually had the BMS cable changed at last service as thought could be giving some of the problems. Discovered that as this includes the negative earth strap that this was badly corroded and could be causing voltage issues at times.

Probably not causing this but something to be aware of. The facebook polestar groups contain a lot of knowledge about the cars - and we know they have a big current drain compared to other volvos for some reasons so prone to battery issues.
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 13:23   #13
Deadloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
V60 Polestar, 2015.

Loads of posts about this type of problem on various platforms; the problem on my car seems different.

Initially, I thought it was the sensor on the bonnet catch. I don't get a "bonnet" open message though. I did once, when it wasn't fully closed. So I don't think it's that ( open to being told otherwise though!).

I set the alarm, after a while all 4 indicators start flashing, but no alarm siren sound. It happens if the battery is on charge or not on charge, fully charged or not and whether the alarm is set on "reduced guard" or not.

I have to leave it unlocked; ironically shielded by a fellow Swede car, a 2007 9-3 Aero convertible with a fully functioning alarm system at 14 years old !

It's not good for a modern car ( I relented on an earlier vow based on my 2004/5 V70 D5, never to buy another Volvo as the electronics and electrical components and connectors were so dire !). I think I was wrong to relent !

The car is now 6 years old with less than 15,000 miles on it; en route to "we buy anycar" I think unfortunately !
I got the same error message a couple of times recently for the first time.
Seems to have gone away since I readjusted the boot liner away from where the tailgate mechanism connects. It must be fouling the electrical sensors, where it had slipped.
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 15:01   #14
Chrisv60

Mine started showing the message occasionally and it then became permanent after a couple of months. I've had a local guy come out and read the codes and he said it reports that the siren internal battery is faulty.

I've taken the siren out and taken it apart with an angle grinder on the welds. It contains a pair of AAA Nimh batteries like in a cordless phone. I've bought the batteries for £3 off eBay and they are due to arrive on Wednesday. I'll update on whether it's been successful. Fingers crossed!
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 22:24   #15
GrahamHR

I hope it works for you.

I took a battery pack from another alarm siren (a Landrover part, same siren unit) , charged it, it kept fully charged for at least 1 month. Fitted it to the Volvo siren. Still the same fault message.

The LR circuitry plus charged battery pack also gives the same error message.
Maybe there is a perceived siren fault by the car unrelated to the siren.

That's why I'll get the local dealer to fit a new siren; if it doesn't sort it, they surely can't charge me for it.
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 23:54   #16
jasmith44
jasmith44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
I hope it works for you.

That's why I'll get the local dealer to fit a new siren; if it doesn't sort it, they surely can't charge me for it.
Any bets they will.
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 10:28   #17
V60Pstar

Bit the bullet and took it to my local Volvo dealer to sort out. After much investigation and phone calls the invoice says:

"Fault code BID1787 Battery backed sounder, replaced battery backed sounder".

A couple of other codes for reference, "V30659882" and "063112/Siren" which may be part numbers but not sure.

The repair was about two weeks ago and so far it appears to be fixed as the car is behaving normally. Parts and labour came to ~£330.

Hope this helps.
V60Pstar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V60Pstar For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 16:50   #18
Chrisv60

Ouch. The replacement batteries I've bought have a different plug so I've cut the plugs off to rejoin.
Whilst the red wire strips to clean shiny copper, the black wire has corroded inside along its length and won't solder.
Looking closely at the circuit board, it appears the corrosion has tracked back to the connecting pin and a couple of points on the circuit board.
I've tried cleaning it but haven't had a chance to try it in the car yet.

The first code refers to an alarm siren, I wonder if they're all a bit different and incompatible.

Looks like it's going to be £300 vs £3.
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 12:24   #19
Chrisv60

I've fixed it!!!

In my last post I cracked open the siren and replaced the AAA NiMH batteries but noticed there was quite a bit of corrosion. Fitted it in the car and left it overnight but still got the error message.

The part no. on the back of mine was 6G9N-19G229-BK, however, 1 bought a siren off ebay 6G9N-19G229-CG from a 2014 Mazda 2 for £12.55.

Plugged it in but still got the error message. Left it overnight and the error message has gone!

Hope this helps someone else.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 22:27   #20
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisv60 View Post
I've fixed it!!!

In my last post I cracked open the siren and replaced the AAA NiMH batteries but noticed there was quite a bit of corrosion. Fitted it in the car and left it overnight but still got the error message.

The part no. on the back of mine was 6G9N-19G229-BK, however, 1 bought a siren off ebay 6G9N-19G229-CG from a 2014 Mazda 2 for £12.55.

Plugged it in but still got the error message. Left it overnight and the error message has gone!

Hope this helps someone else.
Thanks for the info, I bought one; haven't fitted it yet so I don't know if it'll solve the problem on my car.

It came with the original Mazda bracket and wiring sub loom. What a lovely thing, galvanized steel with no sharp edges, compared to the nasty Volvo crudely stamped black painted bracket.